Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vicker
    • By vicker 26th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    • 138Posts
    • 92Thanks
    vicker
    Holiday hates
    • 26th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    Holiday hates 26th Aug 18 at 8:58 AM
    So here I am, on a beautiful tropical island the other side of the world. Turquoise sea. White soft sand.

10 people on the beach.

1 has a flipping drone buzzing around.

Another has her phone pumping out techno tunes.

Argh!

Wondering what winds you all up when you're on holiday, so I can sit here and think, at least it's not...
Page 9
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Sep 18, 9:34 PM
    • 38,638 Posts
    • 142,865 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Iíve never paid for an airport lounge. After actually checking in you donít be have that long and I spend it in the duty free :-) and grabbing a simple snack (sometimes - if Iíve done the duty free).
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    It has been a boon when I'm not feeling too great and/or the Terminal is very full.
    Also useful when a flight is delayed.
    Food and drink is included.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Sep 18, 10:54 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    Kim kim
    It has been a boon when I'm not feeling too great and/or the Terminal is very full.
    Also useful when a flight is delayed.
    Food and drink is included.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Yeah I know, but being a bit of a nervous flyer, iím More a small snack - if that - before flying. Not enough to make it worth paying for a lounge.
    Anyway, honestly with dutyfree, I donít have the time :-)
    Iím going away in nov, my friend has access to a lounge, so we may go in and I will pay. But itís early so not really sure itís worth it, even at guest price.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Sep 18, 8:49 AM
    • 24,653 Posts
    • 64,424 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I hate security in Manchester and Heathrow. The workers always seem so grumpy, that's even with Fast Track. Sometimes they want shoes off, sometime leave on.

In fact, I'm getting to hate Manchester Airport full stop.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 12th Sep 18, 8:58 AM
    • 5,820 Posts
    • 8,270 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I hate everything to do with holidays from travelling, to places you have to stay, to inedible food.

I don't do holidays
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Try an Adventure then. Think out of the box and visit somewhere a bit different.

I went to Romania [Transylvania] for 3 weeks recently, and was absolutely bowled over by how green and clean it was. Cheap as chips too, great food, beautiful traditional guesthouses, fantastic scenery.

Quality on a shoestring budget.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Sep 18, 9:40 AM
    • 14,779 Posts
    • 20,009 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I hate everything to do with holidays from travelling, to places you have to stay, to inedible food.

I don't do holidays
    I sort of understand. Years ago I did a few package holidays and some were pretty grim.

Why not arrange your own holiday travel and accommodation? You are in control then. Go self catering and you only have yourself to blame if the food is inedible.

For a while I would only do self catering after contracting severe food poisoning three consecutive years. Partner of the time wasn't too happy but cheered up when I said I would do all the cooking.

Current Mrs G much more adventurous and down to earth so happy to share my holiday idiosyncrasies. I suspect most wouldn't. I hate lounging around pools, bars with big screen football, sunbathing and generally mixing with other holiday makers
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 12th Sep 18, 9:51 AM
    • 939 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    My pet hate in any accomodation is the trend for smooth chrome shower controls that are almost impossible to operate with soapy hands.

They seem to be everywhere. I don't have a grip problem and I struggle. Must be almost impossible for anyone with arthritis.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • StevieJ
    • By StevieJ 12th Sep 18, 11:29 AM
    • 19,380 Posts
    • 32,333 Thanks
    StevieJ
    Hotel animation teams and Friday night Easyjet flight to Benidorm (only done it once, thankfully ).
    Government: "Should we get a pet?" 52%: "Yes" Government: "OK, we'll get a cat" 1/2 of 52%: "Oh no, I hate cats. I wanted a dog."
    • StevieJ
    • By StevieJ 12th Sep 18, 11:32 AM
    • 19,380 Posts
    • 32,333 Thanks
    StevieJ
    I hate security in Manchester and Heathrow. The workers always seem so grumpy, that's even with Fast Track. Sometimes they want shoes off, sometime leave on.

In fact, I'm getting to hate Manchester Airport full stop
    Originally posted by pollypenny

Agreed, choice between M/cr and Liverpool, no contest.
    Government: "Should we get a pet?" 52%: "Yes" Government: "OK, we'll get a cat" 1/2 of 52%: "Oh no, I hate cats. I wanted a dog."
    • arthurdick
    • By arthurdick 12th Sep 18, 6:24 PM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 8,325 Thanks
    arthurdick
    Wee-Willie. My wife follows me out of curiosity these days, but she never raises her eyebrows or complains, even when the going gets rough as it sometimes does.

Have a read of our latest venture into what was an unknown for us....

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5735156

.....tempted? Best little adventure we've had since our pre-earthquake sojourn to Nepal. Kathmandu looked like it was just recovering from a big bang, not just about to have one.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete

Cheers Pete, that is a brilliant adventure, have not read it all but what I did read was bleeding good.

At the moment the only things stopping me doing something similar is time and money, oh and the missus, but come retirement, that is the sort of adventure that will be top of my, ok, our list.

cheers
    4371/3 =1457.. some people won't accept that though.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 13th Sep 18, 8:17 AM
    • 5,820 Posts
    • 8,270 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    My pet hate in any accomodation is the trend for smooth chrome shower controls that are almost impossible to operate with soapy hands.

They seem to be everywhere. I don't have a grip problem and I struggle. Must be almost impossible for anyone with arthritis.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Showers in baths, where you almost have to climb into the tub, and court risking a nasty fall having to stride out again.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Sep 18, 8:56 PM
    • 7,858 Posts
    • 14,139 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I'm abroad at the moment and checked into a four stair hotel part of an international chain. Though it's the first time I have stayed in one. No shelves or drawers in my room. Went downstairs to complain. This is the first time someone has complained about it. Though over dinner, about four of the fellow tour members moaned about it, before I raised the issue. Do guests hung up bras on the hangers? Do guests display their medication to the maids? Obviously got bedside tables and a desk.

Rang my Dad who has been to loads of hotels in the UK and abroad for work and holidays and he had been to a couple which had no other storage in the room apart from hanging space.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Sep 18, 8:59 PM
    • 38,638 Posts
    • 142,865 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I'm abroad at the moment and checked into a four stair hotel part of an international chain. Though it's the first time I have stayed in one. No shelves or drawers in my room. Went downstairs to complain. This is the first time someone has complained about it. Though over dinner, about four of the fellow tour members moaned about it, before I raised the issue. Do guests hung up bras on the hangers? Do guests display their medication to the maids? Obviously got bedside tables and a desk.

Rang my Dad who has been to loads of hotels in the UK and abroad for work and holidays and he had been to a couple which had no other storage in the room apart from hanging space.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I've been in one like that and it drove me mad, too.
    They can take the minimalist look too far! No good it looking nice if it doesn't serve a function! I ended up leaving stuff in my suitcase!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • tommix
    • By tommix 13th Sep 18, 9:01 PM
    • 37,325 Posts
    • 147,049 Thanks
    tommix
    I hate it when I go on holiday only to find that the Hotel I'd booked has fallen down.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Sep 18, 9:11 PM
    • 7,858 Posts
    • 14,139 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I've been in one like that and it drove me mad, too.
    They can take the minimalist look too far! No good it looking nice if it doesn't serve a function! I ended up leaving stuff in my suitcase!
    I have just remembered in Rome, the only shelving was the bit of gap between the top of the mini bar and the housing it was in. Was behind a cupboard door
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Sep 18, 10:49 PM
    • 14,779 Posts
    • 20,009 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I hate it when I go on holiday only to find that the Hotel I'd booked has fallen down.
    Originally posted by tommix
    I booked a hotel that was blown up a couple of days before I was due to check in.

Still trading though with the dubious reputation of being the most bombed hotel in the world.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Sep 18, 6:30 AM
    • 38,638 Posts
    • 142,865 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I booked a hotel that was blown up a couple of days before I was due to check in.

Still trading though with the dubious reputation of being the most bombed hotel in the world.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom

Where was this? Beirut?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 14th Sep 18, 7:02 AM
    • 14,779 Posts
    • 20,009 Thanks
    Gloomendoom

Where was this? Beirut?
    A bit closer to home. The Europa in Belfast.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 14th Sep 18, 10:26 AM
    • 14,383 Posts
    • 55,967 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Try an Adventure then. Think out of the box and visit somewhere a bit different.

I went to Romania [Transylvania] for 3 weeks recently, and was absolutely bowled over by how green and clean it was. Cheap as chips too, great food, beautiful traditional guesthouses, fantastic scenery.

Quality on a shoestring budget.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Yeah but......I'd still have to tolerate other people, I hate everybody

Wonder if they do package holidays for potential serial killers/mass murderers
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Sep 18, 10:29 AM
    • 38,638 Posts
    • 142,865 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Yeah but......I'd still have to tolerate other people, I hate everybody

Wonder if they do package holidays for potential serial killers/mass murderers
    There's always Hermit Holidays!

And yes, that is a real company!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 14th Sep 18, 3:35 PM
    • 7,858 Posts
    • 14,139 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Hotels that have no staircase (apart from emergency exit ones). I'm staying in the fourth floor and have to use one of the lifts. Sometimes having to wait ages for a lift with room for me. Normally I try to use the stairs if I'm in a fourth floor room. Apart from checking in, checking out and when coming back to hotel after walking 20k steps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

343Posts Today

2,572Users online

Martin's Twitter