Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vicker
    • By vicker 26th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    • 139Posts
    • 92Thanks
    vicker
    Holiday hates
    • 26th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    Holiday hates 26th Aug 18 at 8:58 AM
    So here I am, on a beautiful tropical island the other side of the world. Turquoise sea. White soft sand.

10 people on the beach.

1 has a flipping drone buzzing around.

Another has her phone pumping out techno tunes.

Argh!

Wondering what winds you all up when you're on holiday, so I can sit here and think, at least it's not...
Page 10
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 14th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    Timpu
    Flat, no-support-here-pillows that even when folded over are pathetic. If the business is a hotel or B&B, a significant percentage of clients' time is spent in bed, sleeping. Therefore...
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 14th Sep 18, 6:26 PM
    • 14,784 Posts
    • 20,027 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Flat, no-support-here-pillows that even when folded over are pathetic. If the business is a hotel or B&B, a significant percentage of clients' time is spent in bed, sleeping. Therefore...
    Originally posted by Timpu
    If travelling by car, I sometimes take my own pillow.
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 15th Sep 18, 5:19 AM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 14,140 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Originally posted by Timpu
    The hotel I’m in at the moment, it took an age to find which combination of pillows were good for me. Then the maid moved all the pillows about.

One pillow is so soft that it curves around the face when lying on it.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 15th Sep 18, 5:24 AM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 14,140 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Another holiday hate, why do 96% of foreign hotels only English tv channels are news ones? Before you say I am not on holiday to watch tv, but I have the tv on as background noise.

My solution - streaming music or iPod with a speaker
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 15th Sep 18, 7:28 AM
    • 14,784 Posts
    • 20,027 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    The trend in Asian hotel rooms for the bathroom to have glass walls. Not my cup of tea at all.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • ProseccoGirl
    • By ProseccoGirl 15th Sep 18, 7:29 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    ProseccoGirl
    Oh, where to start....

Accommodation:
    Uncomfortable beds, pillows
    Strange noises (takes me at least 2 nights to settle in a new place)
    Bright LED's from smoke alarms, routers etc.
    Lack of storage, mirrors, and vanity areas.
    Sinks that you can only just about wash your hands in, never mind wash your face!!

Travelling:
    Motorways, speeding and poor lane discipline
    Airports, crowded and full of people who seem to have left their brain at home
    "I can see you, your brown skin shining in the sun, you've got the top pulled down and the radio on"
    • ProseccoGirl
    • By ProseccoGirl 15th Sep 18, 7:31 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    ProseccoGirl
    OMG, just seen that glass walled bathroom. NO, JUST NO!!! As much as i love DH, i don't want to see him on the loo, or be watched doing my business either!!!!
    "I can see you, your brown skin shining in the sun, you've got the top pulled down and the radio on"
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 15th Sep 18, 7:44 AM
    • 14,784 Posts
    • 20,027 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    OMG, just seen that glass walled bathroom. NO, JUST NO!!! As much as i love DH, i don't want to see him on the loo, or be watched doing my business either!!!!
    Originally posted by ProseccoGirl
    Ha ha! If you travel to any Asian (Far East) countries, make sure you check out the room photos on Tripadvisor before booking.

Doing so saved me considerable embarrassment at Christmas. Lovely hotel, perfect location, glass walled loo. No thanks.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Sep 18, 9:16 AM
    • 38,694 Posts
    • 143,079 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Originally posted by ProseccoGirl
    It might be one of those like before, where, at the touch of a button, the glass becomes opaque.

I wonder if they have them in twin rooms, too? Wouldn't be very nice, however close one's friendship to another person was!

Even though I'd be on my own, it would still be weird for me, too!
    Plus, I'd want to draw the bedroom curtains every time I used the loo, in case anyone could see in through the bedroom window to the bathroom!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 16th Sep 18, 7:48 PM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 14,140 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I remember in a hotel room, there were lights around the base of the bed, around the wardrobe and bathroom doorframe. It took an age to switch them off and went through several colours before they were off! Then they were reset when switched them on again!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 17th Sep 18, 4:57 AM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 14,140 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    About pillows with no support. The room I am in at the moment only has two awful pillows. Normally there are some extra ones in the wardrobe or on a chair. No more pillows. After experiencing a hotel giving me extra pillows 4 hours after i requested - requested at 10pm and got the knock on the door around 2am, I resorted to using the unused bath towel under the pillows. Will be destroying the evidence by using the towel for drying myself.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 17th Sep 18, 7:29 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 8,276 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    The trend in Asian hotel rooms for the bathroom to have glass walls. Not my cup of tea at all.

Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    The Yotel landside at Gatwick is worse than that. We had a supposed double, and had to top-and-tail.

There was just enough room between the bed and the completely clear screen bathroomette. I got in first, and then went for a walk while the cook was showering.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 18th Sep 18, 7:12 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 8,276 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I hate it when I go on holiday only to find that the Hotel I'd booked has fallen down.
    Originally posted by tommix
    Me and the cook rented an apartment on Booking.com in Sarajevo for a week last year.

The building the apartment is in is situated almost next door to the Holiday Inn on the main road through Sarajevo, known as 'Snipers Alley'.

A beautiful penthouse apartment, but the building like many hundreds in Sarajevo still bore all the marks of the savage Yugoslav war in the 1990s. Hundreds of innocent civilians were 'picked-off' from the surrounding hills on a daily basis during 4 years of siege by the Serbian Army.

Quite haunting, and humbling.

Sarajevo is well worth a visit, as is Mostar.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 18th Sep 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    z1a
    When fellow Brits go beyond a quick hello, and start asking you what you're up to tonight/tomorrow/later. All you want is a holiday that nothing is planned and you do things on a whim.
    Best way I've found of dealing with that' is to turn conversation around to work, then explain how you've never worked, (Not true) but you know how to play the system and get lots of great holidays paid for by the state.
    You can almost see the annoyance in their faces & they soon part ways.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 18th Sep 18, 9:54 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 8,276 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    If travelling by car, I sometimes take my own pillow.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom

Sleep and drive.....is that wise?
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 18th Sep 18, 9:57 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 8,276 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    When fellow Brits go beyond a quick hello, and start asking you what you're up to tonight/tomorrow/later. All you want is a holiday that nothing is planned and you do things on a whim.
    Best way I've found of dealing with that' is to turn conversation around to work, then explain how you've never worked, (Not true) but you know how to play the system and get lots of great holidays paid for by the state.
    You can almost see the annoyance in their faces & they soon part ways.
    Originally posted by z1a
    It's known as trying to be friendly.....but you're right.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 18th Sep 18, 10:04 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    z1a
    It's known as trying to be friendly.....but you're right.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Yep, being friendly is fine, but we've all met them - people who are sick of their own company and try to tag along with somebody else.
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 18th Sep 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    Yep, being friendly is fine, but we've all met them - people who are sick of their own company and try to tag along with somebody else.
    Originally posted by z1a
    No, never in 40 years of going abroad.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 19th Sep 18, 7:09 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 8,276 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    No, never in 40 years of going abroad.
    Originally posted by foxtrotoscar
    You want to try a cruise on a fairly small ship. There's always one or two people who want to tag along with whoever they can 'attach' themselves to.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 19th Sep 18, 9:49 AM
    • 14,784 Posts
    • 20,027 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Originally posted by z1a
    Can't say we have found it to be a problem, but then we don't tend to come into much contact with other holidaymakers when we are on holiday ourselves.

I can see it might be problem on a cruise. Never been on one. Not as a passenger anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

477Posts Today

5,833Users online

Martin's Twitter