Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sparky001
    • By Sparky001 24th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Sparky001
    5yr fixd vs personal loan to pay off
    • 24th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    5yr fixd vs personal loan to pay off 24th Aug 18 at 11:46 AM
    With a few places still.offering 3% personal.loans and only having 5yrs to go with 25k left, I'm wondering what disadvantages there would be justt doing a 25k personal loan and paying off the mortgage.
    Monthly payment difference is about a couple.of quid maybe a fiver more for a personal loan but then its unsecured not against the home. With the term and amount left there is very little interest to pay so 1/2 % between a mortgage and personal.loan isn't mich over 5 years (less that a cheap trip.to the off licence per month)
    Reading up I'm trying to find out if there are any gotchas in this.
    Any devlis advicate advice would be appreciated
Page 1
    • madvicker
    • By madvicker 24th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    madvicker
    • 24th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 24th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    To be honest, if you can get a similar rate of interest to a fix - it would actually be worth doing. For the simple reason that you would be transferring a secured debt to unsecured debt - and the house would then be fully yours.
    • middleclassbutpoor
    • By middleclassbutpoor 24th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    middleclassbutpoor
    • 24th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 24th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    Check the 3% rates are those being offered on the amount - i.e. that these rates are not restricted to amounts under 25k

Also consider that when you apply that may not be the rate they offer.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 24th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 4,437 Posts
    • 4,805 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 24th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 24th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    Sure it would change the lending from secured to unsecured but unless your planning on defaulting I don't see the benefit in this for such a shot term particularly if its not cheaper?

What do you see as the actual benefit other than "feeling better about the lending"?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 24th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 33,472 Posts
    • 20,228 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 24th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 24th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    Why not also look for 0% money on spending credit cards.

With the right cash flow you can save interest.
    • Dan137uk
    • By Dan137uk 15th Sep 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dan137uk
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:42 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:42 AM
    I looking at the same thing carry one with the mortgage 35k or get a personal loan. The loan saves me 900 quid over 48 months. But is fixed where as I can drop the mortgage payments down as I over pay.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

16Posts Today

4,087Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin