Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 23rd Aug 18, 4:51 PM
    • 281Posts
    • 499Thanks
    kerron7
    Fresh start needed
    • 23rd Aug 18, 4:51 PM
    Fresh start needed 23rd Aug 18 at 4:51 PM
    Hi,

I've been a member of MSE for years now and although have been motivated to become debt free more times than I care to remember it's never happened. Things have to change and now!. I do have a diary but it's been so long since I've posted I've decided to start a new one fresh start and all.

A bit about me, I have 6 children ranging from 2-18, a lovely partner father to the youngest 2, I work part time in education and my partner is returning to work in September. My daughter has just turned 18 which has seen income drop significantly but will be outweighed by partners income come October. We currently rent but would love a place to call our own but before that can happen this debt needs to go! The debt is all in my name credit cards, a loan, store cards etc which has reduced and then added to again and again, I can't dwell on it, it's done so now need to make changes and plans and live by them.

Will work out exactly what i owe later I think it's around 19,000.

I shop around for the best deals, use cash back sites and mainly stick to my grocery budget but will think nothing of adding to my catalogue if something is needed with the plan to pay it off which doesn't happen, the mindset needs to change.

Will post back later with some exact figures.

K x
    Emergency Fund - 7.47/500
Page 2
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 31st Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    Congrats on paying them off! And only having to dip in to the emergency fund by 6 is great - that's what its there for - so you don't have to go into more debt.
    Originally posted by NelliePie
    Thanks, I forgot about another payment I'm due so I won't need to move it after all plus I should have a bit left over.

K x
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 1st Sep 18, 9:46 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    Still waiting on cc, fingers crossed it comes today I really want to get it all on interest free!

So reflecting on the summer holidays

DP has got a job
    Have managed to stick to the summer holiday budget
    Got cards on interest free
    Worked out a budget till Christmas
    Paid off 2 store cards

All in all it's been pretty positive and I'm feeling focused on getting rid of the debt again.

To do list

General clean/tidy done
    Sort out paperwork drawer done at last
    Sort out my bedroom cupboard
    Get DD2 school shoes done
    Help DS3 with some homework
    Washing/drying done

K x
    Last edited by kerron7; 01-09-2018 at 10:33 PM.
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 2nd Sep 18, 10:16 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    CC came yesterday so have moved around things on to new card, I need to wait for a BT to clear so I can move another balance on to CC1.

When everything is done I will have got rid of a catalogue, moved everything interest bearing onto interest free from other catalogue and I've paid store card 1 and 2 off. I've decided to split my debts on my diary as I want to focus getting rid of cards, catalogue and overdraft first.

As it stands I will have the following (will update figures when all is finalised

TCC1
    TCC2
    MBNA
    Catalogue
    O/D - 600

K x
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 2nd Sep 18, 10:29 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    My month starts again on the 6th and looks like I'll end the month with a little left over! I have had to add to debt though as the washing machine broke.

Had an email as car insurance is due up soon an extra 14.65 a month! I don't think so, will have to look into this and get it cheaper.

DS2, DS3 and myself are having our hair done today which is accounted for, mine is well overdue.

To do list

General clean/tidy
    Make cottage pie for dinner/tea done
    Washing/drying

A small list today as my hair takes ages

K x
    Last edited by kerron7; 02-09-2018 at 4:43 PM.
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 3rd Sep 18, 9:30 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    Morning

All direct debits have gone out this morning apart from one. Have funds left over which I am saving for DS1 and DP subs, a ticket for DP and t-shirts and socks for DP for work. I'll have about 50 left which I'm putting aside as we will have been overpaid on the HB plus need to save for tax and NI as DP is SE, such a pain for a couple of months!

I have cancelled a few DD this morning and need to cancelled 2 SCs.

I'm back to work tomorrow on a course so need to get the house sorted today.

To do list

Washing/drying
    Cancel SCs
    Meal plan starting on Thursday

k x
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 4th Sep 18, 7:36 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    Back to work for me today as I'm on a course.

Have put some washing on this morning, it's raining so will have to go on the rack.

A bill has come out earlier than expected so 13.47 down, will need to do a bit of a shuffle when I get paid on Thursday I'll take it from my personal spends I think.

Still waiting for BT to show, hopefully by the end of the week.

Will be back later

K x
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 6th Sep 18, 7:56 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    Posted yesterday but lost it arrh!

One more early get up before the weekend, wish it was like this every week.

Balance Transfers are all done, just need to pay them all off now. Budget is looking tight for September probably will be for the foreseeable future but it's got to be done, we have food on the table that's the main thing.

DS3 first day in reception today so must get him ready and take photos to send to DP.

K x
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 11th Sep 18, 7:07 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    Don't know where to start but I'm not feeling in the best of places. DP has been SE literally for 3 weeks then on Sunday playing football his has done something to his cruciate ligament in his knee, they can't do anything at the hospital for 4 weeks as it is too swollen apparently it's blood. Obviously have informed HMRC he is SE and tax credits, now looking on the NHS website it is likely to be 12 weeks before he can do any manual labour. Do I
    De register him being SE? Estimate his wages for tax credits as what he has already earnt until he can go back to work? Housing benefit will be another headache, with his wages from 2 weeks in August and 1 in September coupled with the fact they will take into consideration DD1 wages this month I can't see the payment for September being much.

Just feeling so disheartened at the moment and I'm shattered, getting up early to get the children sorted and taking them to school, working, clubs, housework and now DP who can't do anything, I do feel sorry for him he's in so much pain.

Sorry for the moan, it's just how I'm feeling.

I like everything in its place and know how much money I have coming in, now it's all uncertain until it gets sorted.

K x
    Last edited by kerron7; 11-09-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 14th Sep 18, 7:12 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    Have sorted tax credits out and rang council just need to de register DP as self employed until he can go back to work.

Will need to move money around I have save until I get paid as I won't have enough in current account.

Made a payment to catalogue yesterday.

Grocery shopping came in at 73 so will have 27 left for top ups.

Really looking forward to the weekend I'm shattered.

K x
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 14th Sep 18, 7:25 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Frustrating

You do sound like you are in a better position to manage this, though. Hope he is back on his feet soon.
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 15th Sep 18, 11:51 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    Figures currently stand

Loan - 12,348.24
    Cat - 2,008.40
    TTC1 - 2,348.18
    TTC2 - 1,220.76
    MBNA - 3,169.15
    O/D - 600
    Sofa - 468.99
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 16th Sep 18, 10:33 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    Really need to keep up with this diary I just find reading other peoples more interesting!

A load of washing is on, it's raining so might have to put it on clothes horse to dry.

NSD today fingers crossed.

Account is looking poor, a few direct debits coming out next week so will have to move from savings until I get paid.

Have 17.97 in grocery budget till Thursday so should be okay there. Fuel budget not looking too bad.

Pulled pork for dinner today.

DS1 has a football match today so will go and watch at least one half.

DP still really struggling with knee and in constant pain.

K x
    Last edited by kerron7; 16-09-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 19th Sep 18, 7:14 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    kerron7
    Might just be able to pay everything without touching savings account this mth I think, waiting for HB to update now DP can't work.

Started Christmas shopping, got 20% off a 100 spend and picked up some reduced stationery in As@a.

Fuel budget is still doing well, so far less than the bus tickets I was having to pay for the boys to get to school.

Nothing left in grocery budget until tomorrow and still have about 4 main meals left in freezer.

Also electric is going doing okay have been putting in 15 for the week which has lasted.

K x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

569Posts Today

6,353Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin