Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 23rd Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 10,289Posts
    • 35,754Thanks
    jwil
    New plan...time to see some movement!
    • 23rd Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    New plan...time to see some movement! 23rd Aug 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hello!

I've decided it's time for a new diary. I've been doing a lot of thinking recently and have come up with a new plan.

My debt is all at 0% on my DMP and is just clearing, albeit very slowly at £1 a month. This will increase when little miss gets her free hours at nursery next year.

Our mortgage is £118,511 and the only interest bearing debt, on a tracker rate so vulnerable to interest rate rises. I'm very happy with the rate though, and we can make unlimited overpayments, so for the time being, not looking to fix.

I still need to pay back £2400 for my car.

We need to start doing some of the work to the house that we've been putting off for years. So we need to get saving for that before it gets to a stage where we have no choice but to do the work as an emergency.

My new plan therefore is that I am going to let the DMP run itself, focus on paying back the car, the mortgage and saving for the house work. I will be trying to build the emergency fund/F&F fund, so that if my creditors offer a settlement I will hopefully be able to take advantage.

I hope that by changing my focus I will keep my motivation rather than getting fed up about not seeing any progress towards my debts. The mortgage will go down regardless of whether I manage to make overpayments, and hopefully the savings will increase!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 43
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th Apr 19, 8:55 AM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    Glad the quiche got rescued in time .

I hope the new meds don't increase appetite, that can be a side effect of some unfortunately.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    I asked the doc and they said no thankfully. It's the last thing I need

Oops....just shows how engrossing the internet can be. I came on here just for 10 mins while I had my breakfast and am still sat here 40 mins later.....lol. Oops, best go and get on
    Originally posted by Lifeisforliving19
    I do that too, all the time

Have a great week jwil...12 parcels!! that's amazing and offloading stuff via FB too. Well done. Seem to have lost my mojo re decluttering. I will have a look later today down the back of the sofa and see if `I can find it
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Thanks Brizzle, hope you get your mojo back soon!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th Apr 19, 8:59 AM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    Morning Jwil, glad to read everything is going well.

Have a great Easter xx
    Originally posted by pennywisepoundstupid
    Thanks penny, you too
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Apr 19, 8:47 AM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    Hello everyone

I'm off now until after Easter Hoping to get some stuff done.

We did a car boot yesterday, it all ended in tears though as DH sold something of mine for far less than I wanted for it, while he continues to refuse reasonable offers on stuff he's got out for far too much money The item he sold retails for over £100 and was in perfect condition. He sold it for £5 Even second hand they make towards £50. I don't mind accepting low offers on stuff once they've been out a few times, but not on the first time and within 30mins of the car boot opening!

That plus the way he spoke to me when I called him out on it means we are not speaking now *sigh*. At least he's back to work tomorrow

I had a busy week last week, but finally managed to finish the draft of what I was working on. There will be some tweaking when I go back but hopefully it wont be so pressured. The good thing is I've managed to build up over 20 hours of flexi so that will help with covering school holidays!

I lost 3lb at SW this week I hope I can have another loss this week, then I can relax a bit over Easter. I decided to stop buying chocolate as I kept bingeing on it. It was a relief I didn't have any yesterday given my mood

I've spotted a new blind I would like for the kitchen. It is this one https://www.dunelm.com/product/scandi-floral-grey-daylight-roller-blind-1000118156#Colour%20Group=Grey It would be lovely to replace the grubby venetian one that is currently there. Going to try and see if I can earn some money towards buying it. I do already have it from the big item I sold last week, but I could do with getting some more.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Apr 19, 8:56 AM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    Declutter update:

Decluttering 2019:

375-401. Clothing
    402. Cloth bag
    403. Bolts
    404. Bowl
    405. Plug in air freshener
    406-419. Soft toys
    420. Shoe horn
    421-422. CDs
    423-431. Toys
    432. Hand throttle
    433. Wool bag
    434-435. Toys
    436. Broken light unit
    437-438. Anti static cloths
    439-446. Aerosol cans of paint
    447. Phone charger
    448. Masking tape
    449-450. Hand throttles
    451. Crate
    452. Box of rubber bands
    453. Toy car wheels and axles
    454. Pen
    455. Clothing.

Decluttering 2019 totals:
    Books: 39
    Magazines/papers: 13
    Ebay parcels: 220
    Other: 455

Total: 727

Ebay listings: 238

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: £25
    Paypal/cash: £29.57
    Other vouchers:£25
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Apr 19, 9:10 AM
    • 5,699 Posts
    • 34,874 Thanks
    in need of direction
    That blind is pretty. I think you should income generate for it as it’ll clear even more stuff.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £69,283.91 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £566.16 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £5,500/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 1lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 14th Apr 19, 9:56 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 2,111 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    That blind is lovely.
    OH and me always seem to argue when we do car boots. He normally ends up in a strop and says that next time I can go by myself. I would if it wasn't for the fact that then there is no one to mind the stall when you need to go to the loo...lol
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £42,292 (26% paid)
    EF £195 Mortgage OP's this year £70

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 14th Apr 19, 12:50 PM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 8,917 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    Sorry to hear about the car boot fall out

The blind is lovely, I have a similar one which still lets light in but looks nice. It will be much easier to keep clean than venetian ones. I know you said about the floor being uneven but as a quick fix for the kitchen could you paint the horrible walls with a silky paint so its easy to wash and do the floor in a concrete paint (think you get big ones for garage floors). It will also seal it and make it easier to wash. I have an unsealed concrete floor under the stairs and its so hard to sweep and keep dust free. wickes do massive pots of own brand silk paint in the trade section for really cheap and its pretty good.

I'm in awe at the amount of decluttering you are doing and items leaving the house. Well done
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Apr 19, 2:10 PM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    That blind is pretty. I think you should income generate for it as itíll clear even more stuff.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Thank you I didn't like it when I saw it so on the hunt for a new one.

That blind is lovely.
    OH and me always seem to argue when we do car boots. He normally ends up in a strop and says that next time I can go by myself. I would if it wasn't for the fact that then there is no one to mind the stall when you need to go to the loo...lol
    Originally posted by Lifeisforliving19
    We have that conversation too I have done them by myself before, it can be easier!

Sorry to hear about the car boot fall out

The blind is lovely, I have a similar one which still lets light in but looks nice. It will be much easier to keep clean than venetian ones. I know you said about the floor being uneven but as a quick fix for the kitchen could you paint the horrible walls with a silky paint so its easy to wash and do the floor in a concrete paint (think you get big ones for garage floors). It will also seal it and make it easier to wash. I have an unsealed concrete floor under the stairs and its so hard to sweep and keep dust free. wickes do massive pots of own brand silk paint in the trade section for really cheap and its pretty good.

I'm in awe at the amount of decluttering you are doing and items leaving the house. Well done
    Originally posted by clippy_girl
    Would the silky paint make a difference on artex? It's really stipply and tiny spikes almost. We've got big tubs of standard emulsion which I've used before.

I have thought about the concrete paint before, but worried I would make it look worse. It might be worth having a go, it probably couldn't look any worse than it does! Thank you
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Apr 19, 2:19 PM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    Our back door lock broke today, so I went out to get a new one. As I was passing dunelm, I popped in to see the blind. They didn't have the correct size (even though the webside said they did!) and when I saw it in person, it was not grey and white like the photo, it was browny and on a browny background. I didn't like it at all. One of the reviews did say that, but none of the others mentioned it, so I thought it was a one off. So I'm on a hunt for another one now.

The lock has been changed, and the handles, so the door looks a lot better now as the old ones were badly corroded. Little things

I have emptied my wardrobes and DH is taking them apart for me. They are too big for me. We are now 'debating' on whether we should try and sell the whole things or just the inserts. They are Ikea ones. I am for just the inserts as it will be a faff trying to sell the whole thing, and they aren't that great once taken apart and put back together. He wants to sell the whole thing. Oh well.

Whilst I was emptying them I've decided a few more things to go and also found a bag I can use when I'm not carrying around stuff for the kids. So I've saved money by not having to buy a new bag and got some potential earnings for the new blind

There is a patch of black mould behind the wardrobe Hoping it's just from when the gutters were leaking. At least I'll be able to clean it all off and then monitor it now.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 15th Apr 19, 11:59 AM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    Been busy again this morning. Moved the big chest of drawers and chair out of the kids room into the space where the wardrobes were. That was a faff! I had to keep shifting piles of stuff around so that i could move it just a bit further. Eventually got there though. The kids now have a small chest of drawers in their room (will need to get a bigger one eventually but not as big as the one that was there) and they've now got nothing of ours in their room

I've cashed out £10 argos voucher on a survey site and have asked for that account to be closed. Fed up with it. I just need to get to cash out on another site that I'm planning on ditching as well.

Taking the kids out this afternoon, they want to go to soft play. I'm hoping to have a blitz at the house early this week, so I can take advantage of the nice sunny warm weather we are due later this week
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 15th Apr 19, 1:27 PM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 18,377 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    All sounding good, enjoy your afternoon.x
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 15th Apr 19, 1:48 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    Kitten868
    That concrete paint is brilliant. My parents painted their garage floor with it. It went from permanently dusty with stuff all over it to cleanable. When youd swept it you could tell. I recommend it.
    Loan 1 £4900/£8000
    Loan 2 £2900/£5800
    Total £7800/£13800 43% PAID

And CC £1250/1900
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 15th Apr 19, 9:06 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Great progress jwil. Enjoy your time off xxx
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [ 31% Feb 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal £71/£750 April Goals: AFDs 19/25 Decluttering 14/60; LSDs 2/10; NSDs x/10 Exercise in April RT 30k 4/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    • 8,924 Posts
    • 69,727 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Well done on your most recent de-cluttering but sorry you and DH had a row . I don't blame you for being cross with DH though for selling the item so cheaply.

You sound like you've been very busy dismantling your wardrobe and re-arranging the furniture in the DC's room .

Have a good weekend .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505.
    Goal - buy £50 worth of Premium Bonds per month = £50
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Apr 19, 9:02 AM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    All sounding good, enjoy your afternoon.x
    Originally posted by pennywisepoundstupid
    Thank you

That concrete paint is brilliant. My parents painted their garage floor with it. It went from permanently dusty with stuff all over it to cleanable. When youd swept it you could tell. I recommend it.
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Thank you I'm just worried I'll make it look worse. I will have another look at it.

Great progress jwil. Enjoy your time off xxx
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Thank you
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Apr 19, 9:03 AM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on your most recent de-cluttering but sorry you and DH had a row . I don't blame you for being cross with DH though for selling the item so cheaply.

You sound like you've been very busy dismantling your wardrobe and re-arranging the furniture in the DC's room .

Have a good weekend .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Apr 19, 9:32 AM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    The kids enjoyed their visit to soft play yesterday I got a chance to read a bit whilst there too so I enjoyed it. One of the younger children from nursery was there too so little miss was 'looking after' her. It was quite sweet to watch. Little jwil loves watching over them as well so it's nice.

It's wet here today and I've started my day wrong by getting into a debate on FB about plastic. It's wasting my time, and why I generally try to stay away from discussions like that. This article pretty much sums up my view: https://theconversation.com/climate-change-obsession-with-plastic-pollution-distracts-attention-from-bigger-environmental-challenges-111667

Whilst I agree with everyone else that it is horrifying the amount of plastic in the ocean etc, the knee-jerk reactions to it (including 'biodegradable' packaging) are in many cases making things worse environmentally. Whilst undoubtably some things have unneccessary packaging (childrens toys?) food waste is a far bigger environmental issue, and people just don't care about that. Textiles are another one which is a serious problem, and people just don't see that throwing textiles and food in the bin is just the worst thing you can do with them. They are so harmful in landfill - far more than plastic. Even tatty textiles and grotty holey (clean!) underwear and socks should be recycled as rags. Most of the plastic in the ocean comes from developing countries with no waste collection facilities, not the stuff we put in the bin! We should be supporting the charities that are trying to improve this problem as much as worrying whether our fruit and veg is wrapped in plastic.

Rant over

Now I must try and get on with something. It's wet here today, so will try and get some more cleared. Little miss has her jabs later so we will go out for a walk and probably feed the ducks at the same time.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Apr 19, 10:19 AM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 35,754 Thanks
    jwil
    Just remembered I'd better update tax credits with estimated income for this year. I think this means it will stop now. I hope we don't have an overpayment for last year. It should be minimal as I always update promptly and I think I will have been paid less than estimated due to taking some unpaid leave.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Apr 19, 9:06 PM
    • 8,924 Posts
    • 69,727 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You sound very knowledgeable about environmental matters Jwil . I have read that less food packaging can lead to more food waste. I must try and remember to recycle material rather than throw it away.

I hope you don't owe tax credits any money. I need to ring them this week and I hate doing it .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505.
    Goal - buy £50 worth of Premium Bonds per month = £50
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 17th Apr 19, 11:16 AM
    • 5,801 Posts
    • 47,855 Thanks
    Igamogam
    The whole plastic debate...........IMO it is great people are talking about it, are actively doing something about it however small, are putting it on the political agenda. Plastic USE is part of environmental destruction not the recycling.We pump a finite resource (oil) out of the ground and use it to make something we use once and then bury in the ground again to last longer in an inaccessible form........ If we reduced our consumption of plastic and particularly single use, then recycling what we do use may improve. We as a family have moved away from single use as much as possible and that does mean over packaged stuff. We decided we do not need to put fruit and veg in a plastic container wrapped in plastic film...is where we started, then toiletries, then clothing other food stuffs and finally just STUFF!.

Our waste is determined by how much we bring into the household ultimately so we took the decision as a family to slash this - I had to ask the council to stop leaving me a food waste bin as they thought I didnt have one as we NEVER put food waste out - bins have proved handy for storing bird seed though The odd chicken carcass/meat bones I put in our neighbours bin with their knowledge as they too have very little waste Our 'recyclable' waste is collected every week - we put ours out fortnightly and our 'non recyclable' waste is every 3 weeks - we put ours out every 9 weeks. I am personally very sceptical about council recycling practises but somewhere there has to be some trust!

I am not going to hijack your thread jwil but I am glad people are talking and long may it last. It is a bit like a container ship pulling up and turning........changing a mind set and habits..... but it has to happen.

I guess we are fortunate in that we live in a community which is all over this and is active in making that change so access to information, research,activities,resources is plenty. However if everybody took one single use plastic item out of their life forever then this is a positive step.

Now dont get me started on balloons and balloon releases

Sorry......I did hijack

ETA: I do agree with the sentiment of the article BTW...but everybody has to start somewhere!
    Last edited by Igamogam; 17-04-2019 at 4:39 PM.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,132Posts Today

7,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin