Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 23rd Aug 18, 4:29 PM
    • 10,102Posts
    • 34,728Thanks
    jwil
    New plan...time to see some movement!
    • 23rd Aug 18, 4:29 PM
    New plan...time to see some movement! 23rd Aug 18 at 4:29 PM
    Hello!

I've decided it's time for a new diary. I've been doing a lot of thinking recently and have come up with a new plan.

My debt is all at 0% on my DMP and is just clearing, albeit very slowly at £1 a month. This will increase when little miss gets her free hours at nursery next year.

Our mortgage is £118,511 and the only interest bearing debt, on a tracker rate so vulnerable to interest rate rises. I'm very happy with the rate though, and we can make unlimited overpayments, so for the time being, not looking to fix.

I still need to pay back £2400 for my car.

We need to start doing some of the work to the house that we've been putting off for years. So we need to get saving for that before it gets to a stage where we have no choice but to do the work as an emergency.

My new plan therefore is that I am going to let the DMP run itself, focus on paying back the car, the mortgage and saving for the house work. I will be trying to build the emergency fund/F&F fund, so that if my creditors offer a settlement I will hopefully be able to take advantage.

I hope that by changing my focus I will keep my motivation rather than getting fed up about not seeing any progress towards my debts. The mortgage will go down regardless of whether I manage to make overpayments, and hopefully the savings will increase!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 27
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Jan 19, 8:48 AM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    How did you find out that you had PA Igamogam?
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    GP finally gave in and did all the blood tests! Wanted to treat me for depression, stomach ulcers,reflux etc etc or suggested it was ME, age, lifestyle, stressful job, weight etc and I refused it all ( awkward is my middle name) and saved the NHS a whole load of money to boot
    Originally posted by Igamogam
    It's lucky you insisted. Sometimes you do have to self-diagnose!
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    I think it's brilliant you insisted. I'm a bit of a wuss sometimes, so I'll have to read up if I think I want anything so I'm informed enough.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Jan 19, 9:08 AM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pad £1.60
    Mortgage overpayments total 2019: £20.00

It's the 12th of the month and I've overpaid £20 without noticing it. It shows how much those small amounts can add up
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 12th Jan 19, 9:12 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 3,928 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Well done Jwil. You're doing really well. I love seeing how the daily pads quickly mount up. Hope you have a lovely weekend.x
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 12th Jan 19, 10:10 AM
    • 524 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Hi jwil, I'm a lurker but wanted to say well done for going to gp. It's so hard, but they are there to help. I finally plucked up courage after my nasty accident in aug and I've been diagnosed with ptsd which I'm now recieving help for. I battled on with the anxiety, making myself socially isolated because I did think people would understand. I felt so ashamed I couldn't get on with life normally. It's still early days abd the guilt anxiety still there, but I know I'm on the mend. I wouldn't have admitted it on the forum months ago.

A monster well done on the overpayment of £20! It's only the 12th and your doing fab.

Take care of yourself xxx
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Jan 19, 10:58 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 31,264 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Well done on the PAD's it really does add up!

Hope you have a lovely day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

POAMAYC 19 #70 £1561/£2070
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Jan 19, 11:16 AM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done Jwil. You're doing really well. I love seeing how the daily pads quickly mount up. Hope you have a lovely weekend.x
    Originally posted by AdventureWanted
    Thank you, you too

Hi jwil, I'm a lurker but wanted to say well done for going to gp. It's so hard, but they are there to help. I finally plucked up courage after my nasty accident in aug and I've been diagnosed with ptsd which I'm now recieving help for. I battled on with the anxiety, making myself socially isolated because I did think people would understand. I felt so ashamed I couldn't get on with life normally. It's still early days abd the guilt anxiety still there, but I know I'm on the mend. I wouldn't have admitted it on the forum months ago.

A monster well done on the overpayment of £20! It's only the 12th and your doing fab.

Take care of yourself xxx
    Originally posted by Choccygirl123
    Hi Choccygirl, thank you for delurking and the support. I'm really glad you are getting the help and it's making a difference. I'm the same with the social isolation and it's not good for me or the kids. Take care xx

Well done on the PAD's it really does add up!

Hope you have a lovely day

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Thanks WF Have a good weekend too. I wouldn't have dreamed of padding £20 in one go!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Jan 19, 11:17 AM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    Having a declutter session this morning. I've done the undersink cupboard and got rid of a few things. There's loads of carpet cleaning stuff in there, I'd better try cleaning the carpets and use some up!
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 12th Jan 19, 12:30 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    Oh I love sorting out cupboards. I have plans to do all of mine as soon as I have more energy. Definitely need to declutter more this year.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £42,310 (26% paid)
    EF £300 Mortgage OP's this year £60
    Christmas 2019 £20 SPC #110....keeping it a surprise
    There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    Oh I love sorting out cupboards. I have plans to do all of mine as soon as I have more energy. Definitely need to declutter more this year.
    Originally posted by Lifeisforliving19
    Yes, me too. We made such a difference last year, I'm hoping it will continue this year. I'd love to have a 'normal' home!
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 13th Jan 19, 9:44 AM
    • 524 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Thanks jwil

I force myself to do one thing out my comfort zone every three days. My biggest jump forward is I have limited contact with a friend. (Only speak online as she's stuck in house not driving too) She's a martyr to being ill and I can feel her sucking the life of our conversations. She refuses to get help and loves the attention on Facebook. I refuse to discuss anything medical now and I feel so much better. Only positive people and things in my life for 2019!

Well done on decluttering! I love carpet cleaning but always feel ashamed water so black when I do it. Amazing how much dirt there can be on light colour carpets.
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - £69.45 / £500
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jan 19, 9:53 AM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    Today's pad £0.56
    Mortgage overpayments total 2019: £20.56
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jan 19, 9:55 AM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    Thanks jwil

I force myself to do one thing out my comfort zone every three days. My biggest jump forward is I have limited contact with a friend. (Only speak online as she's stuck in house not driving too) She's a martyr to being ill and I can feel her sucking the life of our conversations. She refuses to get help and loves the attention on Facebook. I refuse to discuss anything medical now and I feel so much better. Only positive people and things in my life for 2019!

Well done on decluttering! I love carpet cleaning but always feel ashamed water so black when I do it. Amazing how much dirt there can be on light colour carpets.
    Originally posted by Choccygirl123
    People can be very draining at times can't they.

Our carpets are from the 1970s. They are hideous and patterned but very good quality so in good condition. We can't afford to replace them at the moment, and I hate them. They hide a multitude of sins and I agree it's revolting the colour of the water.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jan 19, 11:18 AM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    First update:

Decluttering 2019:

1. T-shirt
    2. Trousers
    3. Hat
    4. Socks
    5. Pen
    6. Vodka
    7. Calendar
    8. Rucksack
    9 - 44. Clothing
    45. CD
    46. Vet paperwork
    47. Router
    48-52. Broadband filters
    53. Makeup brush
    54. Gloves
    55-56. Hats
    57. Cat box
    58. Biscuit tin
    59-60. Gloves
    61-62. Makeup bags
    63. Watch
    64. Bubbles
    65-66. Pens
    67. Side table
    68. Flea collar
    69. Picture
    70. Pair hand throttles
    71. Start straight
    72. Bag fixings
    73. Flea spray
    74. Furniture polish
    75. Tumble drier sheets
    76. Shaker
    77. Sun cream
    78. After sun
    79. Air freshener.

Decluttering 2019 totals:
    Books: 0
    Magazines/papers: 6
    Ebay parcels: 28
    Other: 79

Total: 113

Ebay listings: 24

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: £0
    Paypal/cash: £8.29
    Other vouchers:£0
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jan 19, 4:46 PM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    just doing some listing for DH. I've packed everything that's selling at the moment tonight, so that should save some money. It's all DH's stuff at the moment, I must dig around for some stuff for me to sell as I miss not having bits of money trickle in throughout the month.

I've prepped a load of stuff for the week as well today. Soup and quiche made for lunch as well as roast which I will have extra for lunch tomorrow as well. That will keep me out of the shops.
    • Lifeisforliving19
    • By Lifeisforliving19 14th Jan 19, 7:14 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    Lifeisforliving19
    On the subject of negative, depressing people who we don't want to be around. My FIL is like that. He really is the worst I have ever come across. If you ask how he is, he always says...."Oh well, you know how it is.....", and then proceeds to tell you about his bad back, or cough and cold, or how its too hot, too cold, the nights are too dark etc etc. We end up laughing about it now otherwise it would really bring us down.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £42,310 (26% paid)
    EF £300 Mortgage OP's this year £60
    Christmas 2019 £20 SPC #110....keeping it a surprise
    There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• jwil
    • By jwil 14th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    On the subject of negative, depressing people who we don't want to be around. My FIL is like that. He really is the worst I have ever come across. If you ask how he is, he always says...."Oh well, you know how it is.....", and then proceeds to tell you about his bad back, or cough and cold, or how its too hot, too cold, the nights are too dark etc etc. We end up laughing about it now otherwise it would really bring us down.
    Originally posted by Lifeisforliving19
    It's surprising how draining these people can be. It can be exhausting.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    No PADs today, the bank account is looking a bit lean! I did buy a bulk lot of cat food as it was on offer on amazon today though. Even more saved with some vouchers I had left on there.

I'll wait until I know what's happening with tax credits before I do anything else. I need to have a look and see if they've updated anything yet. We don't get a lot but it's a helpful weekly amount. If I'm going to lose them because of the childcare reduction I don't want to leave myself short.

Definitely time to find some stuff to list!

DH sold loads yesterday, so even though I'd packed everything that was already selling, he sold a load more. Some of it has been on a while so it's good to see the back of it, and another item he'd decided to take off as it wasn't selling. That is a bulky item and it's been on a while, so that is a great sale
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 14th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 31,264 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day Jwil

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

POAMAYC 19 #70 £1561/£2070
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 14th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 5,764 Posts
    • 47,491 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Fab decluttering!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Jan 19, 2:26 PM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 34,728 Thanks
    jwil
    Have a lovely day Jwil

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Fab decluttering!
    Originally posted by Igamogam
    Thank you both
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

952Posts Today

5,973Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin