Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 22nd Aug 18, 4:37 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 63Thanks
    CCW007
    Feast or famine
    • 22nd Aug 18, 4:37 PM
    Feast or famine 22nd Aug 18 at 4:37 PM
    New user name but old forumite (just had my 10 year badge); I feel the need to confess without outing myself!

My situation - me and OH, in our 40s, no kids, lots of cats, big fall-y down house with a bit of land in need of total refurbishment, trying to live the simple life but just living the expensive life instead!

Both earn good money but have got too used to spending as we want to without thought of the consequence. We have both bought new-ish cars recently so we're sorted for several years but it's all been financed on 0% cards. Current amount to debt neutral is 36k (all at 0%, mostly for 2 years or with the option to move to BT cards once it finishes it's 0% so will all be at least 2 years out). Total debt is around 43k but we have 7k in cash in various high interest accounts. This is also our emergency fund.

We can pay anywhere between 1k and 3k off per month but hardest thing will be not adding to the debt when we see something shiny that we want NOW! On the plus side, we have a couple of cars to sell, potentially motorbikes (done my CBT but not ridden for almost 2 years so need to seriously consider whether I want to continue and if I don't my OH won't as he has no-one else to ride with), loads of STUFF everywhere which I reckon we can sell to make a few quid.

Payday tomorrow for me. OH's payday is 28th. Hopefully we can knock 3k off the debt this month - we will see!

Oh and feast or famine? Because I am either saying we can't afford anything as we are skint (pack of extra strong mints? Good god no we can't buy them!) or spending like there's no tomorrow so I really need to find some balance!
Page 1
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 22nd Aug 18, 5:47 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Starmummy
    • 22nd Aug 18, 5:47 PM
    • 22nd Aug 18, 5:47 PM
    good luck
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 11,917.34/12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM c..19.5k)
    EF savings 700.06 House Deposit (LISA) 492.51/12,000 4%
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 29th Aug 18, 9:36 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    • 29th Aug 18, 9:36 AM
    • 29th Aug 18, 9:36 AM
    Both paid, money shuffled. After mortgage and DDs paid, amount to debt neutral will stand at 32,700, reduction of 3,300 this month.

Next month will not be so good for debt reduction so need to concentrate on bringing in income via selling.
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 1st Sep 18, 7:11 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    • 1st Sep 18, 7:11 AM
    Win some, lose some
    • 1st Sep 18, 7:11 AM
    20 in from gumtree sale
    Pair of new tyres on car I'm selling as it failed it's MOT (one was cut back to the cord on the inside so not visible and I had no idea, other was low so only advisory but thought it had more wear left than it apparently does) = 232
    4 TCB for tyres
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 12th Sep 18, 10:58 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:58 AM
    • 12th Sep 18, 10:58 AM
    Spendy month.

Mini bus (estate car, van and camper van all rolled into one useful vehicle, however still haven't sold actual estate car yet...) needed some work which OH could do but just doesn't have time with all our other projects. So it went to the garage for them to work on... 647 later

600 invoice for some consultancy work (small sideline) submitted .

Hmm, definite trend here
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 12th Sep 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6,559 Posts
    • 24,732 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:04 AM
    • 12th Sep 18, 11:04 AM
    Happy new shiny diary x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 5660.00 Lloyds: 9878.75 BC: GONE Cap One: GONE
    OD 0/500 LC 371.25/1500 Washer PAID
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 7219.86/7000
    Savings for Christmas 385.36/400
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 7th Nov 18, 8:48 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:48 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:48 PM
    Pfft, two months without posting

Large credit card bill last month so very little debt reduction gone on, however this month's bill is smaller so hoping to put a dent in the debt by end of November.

We are contemplating a major life change next year; in preparation there are four pillars of our lives we really want to focus on getting under control:
    • Health
    • Finances
    • House
    • Garden

I am often guilty of looking at the big picture, feeling overwhelmed by how much I have to do then not doing anything and instead sitting down with a glass of wine, feeling guilty about what I should be doing instead.

Instead, my plan is to break each pillar down into over-arching goals, then a specific goal and then tasks to break it down into manageable chunks.

So my finance goal is to be debt neutral by June 2019.

Sub-goals are:
    • Sell my girl racer car
    • Sell our estate car
    • Sell my motorbike?
    • Declutter and sell whatever we don't need
    • Create a proper budget and stick to it

We have inventoried both freezers tonight and have soooo much food - threw some things out, have taken out loads of unidentified meat to defrost and see if there is anything usable for dinner tomorrow. Cats will be happy, they have a lot of treats coming up (roast goose!)

Next step will be to roughly meal plan what we can make with the ingredients - I hate having a prescribed meal plan where you are having XX on a certain day but happy to have a list of options and choose one to prep the night before. The only thing which really works for us is batch cooking but have no room in freezers currently

And big pledge is to post here regularly to keep me accountable and keep track of spends
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 7th Nov 18, 8:51 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:51 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 8:51 PM
    Current amount to debt neutral - 31,500 - down 4,500 since start of diary and 1,200 since end of August.
    • erin_transport
    • By erin_transport 7th Nov 18, 9:36 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 2,865 Thanks
    erin_transport
    • 7th Nov 18, 9:36 PM
    • 7th Nov 18, 9:36 PM
    Hi
    Just popping by to say what an impressive amount - well done. Isn’t it amazing what we can do when we focus in.
    On a mission!

2018 MFW #138
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 7th Nov 18, 9:40 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    Thanks Erin, it was very motivating to put it down in the diary!
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 8th Nov 18, 7:28 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    You could be writing about me with this:

Oh and feast or famine? Because I am either saying we can't afford anything as we are skint (pack of extra strong mints? Good god no we can't buy them!) or spending like there's no tomorrow so I really need to find some balance!
    Getting back on Track
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 8th Nov 18, 7:19 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    MrsP, I think I get into a strict no spending mentality for a little while then rebel against it big time.

NSD here; despite really really wanting a twix today, I stayed strong!
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 9th Nov 18, 7:14 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    Not a NSD.

25 to send my glasses off for repair - cheaper than replacing them and I didn't see anything I liked in the optician. Once I get my prescription I will order a couple of spare pairs using the MSE code - with thinned lenses it will be 40 for 2 pairs so well worth it to keep for spares.

OH has ordered a bit of IT kit which replaces something we have already - it was 180 but much more energy efficient and as it is always on it will pay for itself within a year. Also it was 200 when he first looked at it a couple of weeks ago so saved 20. Had already budgeted for this as well.

On the plus side I made breakfast and lunch so no spends there and stopped on way home to charge my electric car for free at the dealer so got about 80 miles free driving out of it and a free hot chocolate
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 9th Nov 18, 7:25 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    More budgeted spends coming up - OH is going to a conference in US late November so we need to order him some dollars. He should get some back in expenses but not sure how much so not including this in forecast and anything we get will be a nice bonus.

I'll order the currency from JLP and use my JLP card to pay so it adds to the cashback we get.

Last lot of vouchers was over 100 (used the credit card to buy our minibus so got 30 vouchers just for that!) which I used to do a huge stock up shop last week.

5 on Christmas present to 210 spent today.

Horrible weather here so lit the fire.
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 10th Nov 18, 11:30 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    45 at vet, expected it to be 30 but cat needs another course of antibiotics so a bit more than anticipated.

Also ordered some new fire rope.for the wood burner as it will be cheaper than replacing the glass of it falls out! 30.

Ordered dollars to be collected this week. Need to book OHs car parking at airport but he will get that back on expenses and we'll go via TCB so get some cashback.

Lunch will be HM leek and potato soup with keeks from freezer and potatoes which need using up, got a loaf on in BM. Need to organise something for dinner, got lots of mince in freezer so will probably do a chilli or similar.

Might have wine tonight, I have a bottle but will need to pick some up for OH so challenge will be not to buy anything else!
    • CCW007
    • By CCW007 10th Nov 18, 6:11 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    CCW007
    Four Pillars
    So as mentioned I have four areas of my life I am trying to improve. To expand on some of those...

Health:

Main goal is to lose weight (42lb by June 2019). Next week I will rejoin Slimming World. I aim to walk 10km every day (tracked on my sports watch). I hit it most days, hit target at 15.00 today.

I need to lose a bit of weight before I can restart C25K. Had good success with this last year and found I actually enjoyed running but lost the habit around August and didn't get back into it so need to restart.

I have a gym near work I can go to before work or at lunchtime so need to work that into
    my routine. I'm a member and it's 13 a month but haven't been for weeks (okay months).

I want to cut down drinking as it's become too regular / routine. Aiming to drink at weekends only. Had 1/3 bottle wine and one gin last night so pleased with that.

House:

Have a number of projects started but not finished. Need to project plan and cost them all.

Got a quote for some work in our living room from our builder type contractor. He's very good, reliable and hard working so we trust him. Work will be 1,200 including materials.

Once that's done, OH can rewire (got everything to do this), we can get room plastered (not sure on cost of this), then can out flooring down (got everything we need for this) and redecorate.

So 1,200 plus cost of plastering and paint and our living room would be complete.

In terms of repayments, if builder can do work in November (unlikely) we could still pay 1,600 off debts. If he can't we can pay 2,800 off

Garden:

Done some tidying today but lots of planning, costing and work to sort out what we want. We have about 1/3 of an acre that goes all round the house. We need to find a way to partition the garden into useful / productive segments.

We keep ducks and chickens but they are a huge cost, take up a lot of time and space, tie us to being around at dusk to get them in and don't really produce enough to justify themselves. We either need to find a way to make them work for us or decide that it's not working and stop.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,097Posts Today

7,119Users online

Martin's Twitter