Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DancingUnicorn
    • By DancingUnicorn 22nd Aug 18, 3:59 PM
    • 174Posts
    • 645Thanks
    DancingUnicorn
    What, the curtains?
    • 22nd Aug 18, 3:59 PM
    What, the curtains? 22nd Aug 18 at 3:59 PM
    I made it through the year living on a student loan, but now I've got a "proper" job I can start contributing to my debts more and plan to get myself in a position to buy a house before I'm 30.

Income: 1466 (predicted)
    Outgoings: 1422 (including DMP and parent debt payments)

Second job income: 150ish (every 4 weeks)
    My plan is to use this money (and anything left over each month) to create an emergency fund. Once my emergency fund is at 1000 I'll be saving this money for lump sum payments towards my debt.

Hoping to use this as a platform to keep myself accountable - better meal planning, less frivolous spending, more saving.
    LBM: October 2016: 20,130 / Current: August 2018: 15,510 22.95%
    DFD: February 2024
    SPC#577 (2017: 60.58)
Page 2
    • jools1985
    • By jools1985 5th Sep 18, 11:34 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    jools1985
    An unexpected 300 - happy days
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 6th Sep 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    curlytop12
    Enjoying your thread, good luck!
    Have you thought about your TV/ internet costs?
    Currently you can get talktalk unlimited internet for 23.95 a month, and you could use free view TV ? or Netflix for 5.99 a month?
    • DancingUnicorn
    • By DancingUnicorn 6th Sep 18, 1:34 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    DancingUnicorn
    Thanks all for joining me to celebrate the 300 victory!

curlytop12 Thanks for your input with my SoA. Unfortunately due to the area I live in I only have one option for internet/home phone - it's crazy that in this day-and-age they can monopolise the market in this way, and yet they do

I got sent home from work today with D&S Feel guilty but I have a suspicion it's a garlic intollerance I love garlic, so I guess I'll just have to stick with it as a weekend treat! At least I can sit on my laptop completing PA studies and planning/resourcing for next week!

I had a go at completing my online tax return today - they now think I've underpaid student loan by nearly 200 and owe them nearly 300. I could do with a nice lottery win or something this weekend I think! (not that I actually do it, so the chances of winning are essentially zero! )

Finances - they give with one hand and take away with the other. Still thinking about going self-managed with my DMP, but maybe keeping the payments down for a short time so I can build up an emergency fund as a priority. My anxiety is pretty bad at the moment (starting a new job and then this with the tax people certainly doesn't help!) so I might just wait until things are a little more settled.
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 6th Sep 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    curlytop12
    Hi, sorry you are feeling poorly.
    Yes, no need to rush changing the DMP whilst you have so much else going on, take care
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 6th Sep 18, 9:44 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Just read your diary so far and I have an intolerance to garlic, onion, leeks - anything from that family of vegetables. Before I cut them out of my diet, I had really bad skin and used to have stomach bugs all the time. I cut them out and my skin cleared up and I hardly get stomach bugs now. I also started eating them again in moderation after a while, so maybe once every couple of weeks and my body can tolerate it a lot better. I feel your pain with the intolerance.
    Total debt Dec 2017 23090.83
    SEP 2018 0 100% paid
    Emergency fund 257.38/600
    Total Savings 1672.07
    • DancingUnicorn
    • By DancingUnicorn 15th Sep 18, 3:43 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    DancingUnicorn
    FIRST FULL WEEL BACK AT WORK COMPLETED!!
    It's exhausting but the most rewarding job in the world. At the moment I'm on a 6-month maternity contract, so I have the constant doubt of being made permanent hanging over me, but I'm a firm believer in what will be will be and everything happens for a reason.

Meal planning could have been better. I'm thinking of stocking up on ready meals for in the week so I have quick and easy meals ready.

I've lost track of my NSD's but things could be worse!
    I know I've spent 5 on a new adult drama class. This was really good and will be great for my wellbeing and mental health so I'm definitely going to keep it up.
    We also had a staff lunch for a 30th birthday so I spent 3 on my sandwich! Monday I forgot my lunch and had a walk to the sandwich shop for a 3 meal deal. All in all not the best costs for lunch this week!

Going shopping tomorrow, and I'm going to buy ready meals for the evenings and soup for lunches. Also aiming to get back to the gym so here's my plan - let's see if I can stick to it!!

Daily: soup lunch, ready meal tea (except Friday - pizza night).
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday: gym after work.
    Tuesday, Thursday: swimming before work.

I'd like to lose 3lbs this week so I'm going to try really hard to stick to my plan. Hopefully this should also eliminate the need to go buy food in the week.

Finances:
    HMRC still reckon I owe them 300. I'm thinking I'll ring them to get a payment plan (maybe 100 per month) and put off putting my DMP up. I can't really deal with calling them all the time. Yeah, it'll put me at a disadvantage getting this debt to under 10k by next September, but if I work hard enough and save where I can it's still doable. *sigh*
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 18th Sep 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    curlytop12
    Hi, HMRC worked out I owed810 of child tax credit- don't know how as i was meticulous in updating with changes in my salary.hours etc...
    anyhow..it's interest free, I offered to pay 50 a month which they were happy with, so only pay them back at a rate you can afford, they just want to recoup the money so will except small monthly payments, but if you miss a payment they demand full settlement ( I didn't, but it tells you in the contract) good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

3,833Users online

Martin's Twitter