Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Manc88
    • By Manc88 21st Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Manc88
    Letter of Claim - BW Legal/NCP
    • 21st Aug 18, 10:37 AM
    Letter of Claim - BW Legal/NCP 21st Aug 18 at 10:37 AM
    Hi all,

I have just received a letter of claim from BW Legal on behalf of NCP for 160, relating to a 'Parked without payment of parking charge' contravention in October last year that I have no recollection of.

I have read the Newbies thread and will be putting together a response form the available templates later on today, but just had a couple of questions relating to this specific case which I was hoping you could offer advice on, and also wanted to start up a thread in preparation of the inevitable-sounding County Court Claim.

1. I assume the correct course of action now is to follow the advice on post 2 of the newbies thread and send a robust response and then follow up correspondence accordingly?

2. Prior to this letter I had only received one notification of this parking charge from a debt collectors. I am assuming this was owing to a change of address in November last year, but does the fact I have not received any letters form NCP in the first instance have any bearing in my response letter?

3. Does the fact they have misspelled my name on the Letter of Claim have any relevance?

Thank you in advance for any advice; this letter was a bit of a shock and day-ruiner yesterday, so I'm hoping it can be resolved without having to pay out!
Page 2
    • Manc88
    • By Manc88 12th Sep 18, 10:13 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Manc88
    Thanks beamerguy. Like this?)

[IMG]hxxp://i63.tinypic.com/2vipimu.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]hxxp://i63.tinypic.com/35letc9.jpg[/IMG]
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Sep 18, 10:36 AM
    • 20,237 Posts
    • 31,928 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    http://i63.tinypic.com/2vipimu.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/35letc9.jpg
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 13th Sep 18, 5:53 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Where are the pics of the signs, the car and the paperwork? If you didn't get them go back and give them 7 days. Then complain to the Information Commissioner's Office.

Also check who pays the non-domestic rates with the local council. It should be NCP but check anyway as you may need to go back to BW if it is not them.
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
    • Manc88
    • By Manc88 13th Sep 18, 9:35 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Manc88
    Hi IamEmanresu,

They have said their client is under no obligation to provide the plan of the carpark (Point 8), and have just said their signs comply (point 9). RE: the request for the original PCN, they have just said this has already been issued (point 11).

Will double check the non-domestic rates. What is this for?
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Sep 18, 10:24 AM
    • 9,295 Posts
    • 12,221 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Anyone noticed in this one

http://i63.tinypic.com/35letc9.jpg

They claim that NCP complies to the IPC code of practice
    ???
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 13th Sep 18, 12:44 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Go back to BW and raise a complaint about their failure to supply the information. Did you make the request under Subject Access Request or a request for information to narrow the issues.

Give them 7 days and make sure you make it clear in any defence or Witness Statement about BW obstructive behaviour and their unwillingness to follow the overriding principles of the Civil Procedure Rules.

If you let them take advantage, they will. The PPC already has so don't let them compound it.
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    • Manc88
    • By Manc88 14th Sep 18, 12:13 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Manc88
    Hi IamEmanresu,

I made the request for the information as "a formal request for all of the documents / information that the [Pre Action Protocol for Debt Claims] now requires your client to provide."

So next steps are to write a response complaining that they have not provided the required information of the signs, plan and pictures of the car?

Do I need to worry about the supposed 14 day deadline they have mentioned in the letter?
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 14th Sep 18, 2:51 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    So next steps are to write a response complaining that they have not provided the required information of the signs, plan and pictures of the car?
    Yes. Refer to the overriding objectives of the Civil Procedure rules but also have it in any defence you submit should they move forward

Do I need to worry about the supposed 14 day deadline they have mentioned in the letter?
    No. If their client is going to issue a claim it will come. You just need to push back at them.

The reason you got that reply is that they don't actually have the information. They never have it as the client hasn't supplied it. They should have as they are supposed to advise if a claim is mertited but they don't ask for it. It is all computer generated so you push so they have to do some work.
    • Manc88
    • By Manc88 17th Sep 18, 10:02 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Manc88
    Hi all,

Just drafted my response letter. Please see below and let me know if you think there's anything I need to add, delete or change:

BW Legal,
    Enterprise House,
    Apex View,
    Leeds,
    LS119BH

Ref: XXXXXXXX

Date

Dear Sirs,

I have received your response to my request for information relating to the above incident, and once again you have failed to supply sufficient documentation for me to respond properly to the alleged claim and to consider my position in relation to it.

This breaches paragraphs 5.1 and 5.2(a) and 5.2(b) of the Pre-Action Protocol for Debt claims and completely goes against the aims of the Protocol as outlined in paragraphs 2.1(a) and 2.1(b).

The alleged incident is not something I have any recollection of, and as previously stated, I have never received a PCN from your client in relation to this. I therefore request again the following information be provided to me within the next seven days:

1. What the details of the claim are; where it is claimed the vehicle was parked, for how long, how the monies being claimed arose and have been calculated
    2. Is the claim for a contractual breach? If so, what is the date of the agreement? The names of the parties to it and provide to me a copy of that contract.
    3. Provide me a copy of the contract with the landowner under which they assert authority to bring the claim, as required by the IPC code of practice section B, clause 1.1 “establishing yourself as the creditor”
    4. A plan showing where any signs were displayed
    5. Details of the signs displayed (size of sign, size of font, height at which displayed)
    6. Details of the original PCN; when was this issued, in what form (attached to the vehicle, sent via post), if via post, to which address was this sent?

If your client does not provide me with this information, I reserve the right to draw any failure of the Claimant to comply with the protocol to the attention of the court and to ask the court to stay the claim and order your client to comply with its pre-action obligations, and when costs come to be considered.

Yours Faithfully
    X
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 17th Sep 18, 10:37 AM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 4,720 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    I always add:
    As you must already have sight of this informaiton, as part of your professional diligence, there should be no issue with providing such.

I would rmeove the "reserve the right" - say you WILL bring this to the courts attention.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 17th Sep 18, 11:10 AM
    • 9,295 Posts
    • 12,221 Thanks
    beamerguy
    I always add:
    As you must already have sight of this informaiton, as part of your professional diligence, there should be no issue with providing such.
    Originally posted by nosferatu1001
    Now that I like

Suppose it depends if BWLegal think they are professional ..
    OR NOT as the case might be

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Manc88
    • By Manc88 19th Sep 18, 7:29 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Manc88
    Thanks both,

Letter sent today. I'll update when I get a response.
    • Manc88
    • By Manc88 24th Oct 18, 11:53 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Manc88
    Just to update: I've now received two letters since the above response to confirm that the file is on hold while BW Legal make contact with their client to get the information requested. Is there no maximum term they have to get this information in, or is it just a case of taking as long as it takes?
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 24th Oct 18, 12:10 PM
    • 9,295 Posts
    • 12,221 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Just to update: I've now received two letters since the above response to confirm that the file is on hold while BW Legal make contact with their client to get the information requested. Is there no maximum term they have to get this information in, or is it just a case of taking as long as it takes?
    Originally posted by Manc88
    You just have to wait. This does prove one thing, when BWLegal bring their claims ,,,,, they simply don't know what they are claiming for ?????

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,389Posts Today

4,050Users online

Martin's Twitter