Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 200Posts
    • 1,154Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    the hedgehog's balloons.
    • 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    the hedgehog's balloons. 20th Aug 18 at 11:46 AM
    I've been a long time lurker but we received our mortgage update yesterday and it made me feel really low that it doesn't seem to be reducing that fast even though we've been paying it for 7 years. We paid a huge deposit on our current house but its always at the back of my mind that the bank still owns the upstairs part. We currently owe 82,000 with 18 years to go and in January next year our fixed rate mortgage will end. Unfortunately OH will be starting a new job next week and not sure if the bank will let us have another and will have to go on their standard rate as he won't have been in it long. We're a family of 4, OH works full time and also works occasionally as an adult tutor (a couple of weekends a year), both DD are still at school and I am at stay at home mum and full time carer for DD2 who is disabled. We also have a crazy but lovable dog. So my aim is to start small and go to the bank and arrange to OP by 50 a month until my bank of mum (interest free loan) is paid off. Where do I find the SOA page? I think by doing one of these will help.
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 26-08-2018 at 2:21 PM.
Page 9
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 6th Nov 18, 9:29 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,348 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hiya CR

Your Christmas cake and cheese gifts sound lovely - I'd be very pleased to get a present like that

I have a little black rain cloud in my class this year and my heart goes out to families dealing with this day in day out. Life must feel like an uphill struggle sometimes. You're doing an amazing job and making a huge difference to a little person's tricky life. You should feel proud

PP xx
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

21,220.89/15,000
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 7th Nov 18, 9:06 AM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    pinky thanks for dropping by and your kind words. Doctors appointment made for DD2 to determine if she is a wolf (spinning it) or rabbit this morning, she's currently still asleep.
    TT of 54p today.
    Seen Martin's video on 'How much should you save for your kids to go to university'. I'd not even given this a thought to be honest. It says its means tested which if it just goes on DH wage we're fine but if they include my carers allowance it takes us over the 25,000. I need to try and find out what they include in their calculations, if anybody knows give us a nudge.I don't think 8,700 a year (the maximum) would be enough to cover everything, because its not just rent, food but start up costs as well (key deposits etc).We've already discussed with her that she would need to get a part time job and be super frugal (already teaching her these skills). I've calculated to just have a 1000 saved for in 2 years time is approx 41 a month, which is half of what I'm paying on average to the mortgage. That's for only 1 year of uni. Deep breath in....... Deep breath out...... Ok, at least we know (thanks Martin) and can start thinking about it. So DH and I need to have a discussion tonight and play the lets see if we can shuffle money from other pots or squeeze abit more out of the budget or pull those purse strings tighter. I feel like singing and waving pom poms 'can we fix it, yes we can'. Need to check out ISA's and saving accounts.
    Hope you all have a good day.
    CRx
    Mortgage 82,000, due to end July 2036. 4/11/18 Mortgage 79,872.13
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 7th Nov 18, 6:32 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    She's a rabbit not a wolf! She has an ear infection. DRUGS I hang my head in shame that I didn't believe her . Back to school tomorrow. FIL came and did some Maths games and reading with DD2 which she really enjoyed whilst I tried to catch up on OU work and get the dog out. Been shopping (40.59) as there was countless things DH needed but had forgotten to tell me other day. Swear he has swiss cheese for a brain. Did get some ys items. Also ordered DD1 a christmas present (16.98). Spag bog for tea and pumpkin soup made for lunch tomorrow yum yum.
    Happy Diwali everyone
    CRx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Nov 18, 7:20 PM
    • 30,033 Posts
    • 174,048 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Happy Diwali to you too and to DD2, little rabbit
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 8th Nov 18, 2:52 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    It was a battle of wills this morning as DD2 did not want to go to school. The champion of wills, drum roll please was............... me. Imagine Rocky when he runs up those steps and jumps up and down as he's made it or when he catches that chicken, that is how I would describe how I felt when I dropped her off.
    Walked and littered picked up to the allotments(about 3 miles) and harvested leeks, kale, carrots, beetroot and sage plus got 2 squash out of the store. Hoping to make green mac and cheese for tea.
    Still working away at OU until my butt gets numb and then I try and do some housework (boo hiss). Mum has come over to try and lighten the load also
    Had a chat to DH about possibly saving some money for when DD1 goes to uni, he was like 'she needs to get a job'. I did point out that she had tried but most places say she needs to be 18 plus he'd then moan she wasn't putting enough effort into studying. We agreed in the end after much arm twisting up the back that we would start an savings account specifically for Uni. He dropped into conversation then that he could put his name down for been on call for 1 week a month and if he gets called out he gets the time back as time off in lieu plus a set amount for the week . This money could be put towards the Uni account. He not ready to do it yet as he's only been there a couple of months so we will discuss it in the new year.
    Finding been part of the NST November in New York on the debt free challenge forum is making me look at what I'm spending, how I'm spending it and making me question do I really need it and if I do can I get it cheaper/free. I feel as if I have more control on spending as there are rules to the challenge. Obviously I won't be whipped or anything if I don't keep to them.I think been virtually with like mind people helps too.
    Well I'm off to take a library book back hopefully I've remembered the right date, which they still stamped the books rather than a piece of computer paper that I always lose.
    Happy Thursday to you all
    CRx
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 08-11-2018 at 3:55 PM.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 8th Nov 18, 7:06 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    library book taken back and fine paid by DD1 who wanted me to pick up her books and pay her fines, she just doesn't know she's paid mine..... Green mac and cheese for tea, smells so good, mega cheese fest. BIL has a spare phone so is going to check it works and then I can have it as mine is on its last toe. Its a noika lumina not sure what it does but only need something basic. My computer is playing up and I'm having to use DD1 to do my work. I think a phone call to BIL tomorrow might be in order if I can't get it to work as he's very tech savvy. TT of 68p to the mortgage today.
    My little rain cloud shed her storminess and became a beautiful rainbow today.
    CRx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Nov 18, 7:48 PM
    • 30,033 Posts
    • 174,048 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yep, challenges like NST November can really help, even though you've got your own diary, the focus is tremendous - especially that one, because of the breadth. Without that challenge, there's no way I'd have done the mobile thing today - in fact, I'm off there now to list it!
    Retired August 2016
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Nov 18, 8:48 PM
    • 7,916 Posts
    • 59,949 Thanks
    apple muncher
    The 'worst' you'll get with the turtles is putting yourself on the naughty chaise longue (upgraded from the naughty step, as the step was a long way down!)
    NST November New Yorker #8; NSD 8/15; Ex 6/21 ; craft 42 (196); remove 16 (653)
    2018 Pay off: 4509; 2
    018 sell 55.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage 18,634 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 9th Nov 18, 10:08 AM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    apple muncher Glad its not a step as getting off would be the issue at the moment (dodgy hip). Might have to break a few rules just so I can get on the naughty chaise lounge, always wanted one of those.
    CRx
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 9th Nov 18, 5:12 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,662 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Glad dd2 is happier! and hope you get your technology sorted...mine constantly hates me!!
    15 Month Challenge: House - 13585.85/25300; Mortgage - 1160/17000 ;
    MFW No. 167
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 9th Nov 18, 6:32 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    squirrelgirl my computer is working again thanks to DD1, my phone on the other hand is slowly leaving the land of the working. My sister however has come to the rescue and is bringing me her old phone to borrow until DD2 gets her new (refurbished) phone at Christmas off .
    Still looking at which is the best savers account to start DD1 uni fund, the best seems to be with those that you have to swap your current account also. Which means another long chat with DH who hates change or anything complicated.
    Not managed to accomplish much today as DD2 had to be picked up from school to go to the dentist. Really proud that she allowed them to clean her teeth with the whizzing toothbrush and its accompanying noise.
    Sat and done plenty of OU work. Walked and litter picked for about 2 miles today, interestingly enough it was a topic on the Jeremy Vine show today. This was because of a documentary on Prince Charles and his children talked about going on holidays and they would go out and pick up litter, so it would seem royalty and I have a common interest .
    TT of 91p to the mortgage. In more important news DH is cooking tea tonight, well he's put some jackets in the oven, grated some cheese and heated some beans, but as far he's concerned he's cooked Going to celebrate with a glass or 2 of prosecco.
    Cheers to those enjoying a tipple and to those who aren't go on treat yourself to something nice. (doesn't need to be alcohol)
    CRx
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 10th Nov 18, 5:32 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Been one of those days where I feel I've been really busy but seem to have not done much. Made 4 christmas cakes ,should of been 3 but DH felt we should have a tester one. The house smells really chrismassy. Went shopping after I dropped DD2 and her PA off at the bus station and finally remembered to get something for the local food bank (NST November in New York thread). Shopping = 58.90 including veg box(comes on Thursday) also filled DH car petrol= 26.40. TT of 69p. Money for DD2 trip out 6.50.
    Discussed money with DH again today and we have extra money in the car fund so have written mum a cheque. That means the car will be paid off in September 2019 instead of November 2019. Once the car is paid off we are going to divide the money up between DD1 uni fund, over paying the mortgage (DH is reluctant) and the rest can absorbed back into the general budget.
    DH and the girls have gone to my BIL for a bonfire and fireworks and I've decided to stop at home and concentrate on getting up to date with my OU work as I lost alot days with DD2 been off school several times in the last month. So leftovers for tea.
    Right off to walk the dog good job fireworks don't bother her as I can hear them already.
    CRx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Nov 18, 5:51 PM
    • 30,033 Posts
    • 174,048 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Four christmas cakes, food shopping, mummy taxi and a finance talk with your OH is a *lot*! How lovely to have an evening on your own catching up on your own stuff. Enjoy
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Nov 18, 9:43 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,348 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Another lover of the NST thread. It's given me real pause for thought.
    Well done on the Christmas cakes CR - you can't beat home made

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.xx
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

21,220.89/15,000
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 11th Nov 18, 1:35 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Pinkypig I'm finding the challenge is keeping me very focused on my long and short term goals. I'm finding the inspiration posts are helping me to reflect on life in general and not feel so bad when things aren't how I would like to be. I'm looking for new ways or adapting how I do things or feel about life. I feel alot happier with life and my current circumstances. Gosh that was abit deep. I think watching the Armistice parade has had quite a proud effect on me today. Life feels slightly different, especially when you consider what past generations went through so we can be who we are today. I don't think many of my ancestors actually fought in the war, I know that alot of them kept the country going, miners and farm workers etc. I'll need to email my cousin who has done extensive research into the family history to find out more. Going in search of the Armistice beacons which are been lit later tonight in the National Park.
    Seems abit crass to write about money today but did a TT of 68p. 1p ,2p and 5p jar total 11.08 and 10p and 20p jar total 48.80.
    Virtual hugs to those who need them today.
    CRx
    P.S if you want to see the banned Christmas Iceland ad because it was deemed too political you can view it at
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=92&v=JdpspllWI2o
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 11-11-2018 at 2:50 PM.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 11th Nov 18, 9:36 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    rushes in ......managed to see several beacons in the national park but too far away to get a good veiw, however the stars were even better due to there been so little light pollution out there......rushes back out
    CRx
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 12-11-2018 at 2:00 PM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Nov 18, 10:03 PM
    • 30,033 Posts
    • 174,048 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sounds good, even if you didn't manage to get very close and yes, I was thinking genealogy thoughts today too with the Armistice commemmorations.
    Retired August 2016
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 12th Nov 18, 8:16 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Currently overseeing DD1 cook tea tonight, keep wanting to interfere but trying to hold myself back and just let her cook. Justifying my odd comments as I'm hungry and want it to be edible (sugar/salt mix up, watery jelly, the list goes on).So decided to come on here and distract myself. TT of 7p . DH is in the dog house as he'd taken something off DD2 wheelchair and not told me, so spent over an hour and half this morning backwards and forwards to school x2. That put paid to plans that I had for the morning. So ended shopping and because I was in a bad mood ended up with stuff I don't really need . Food budget well and truly blown 74.78. So this weeks total is an eye watering 133.68. On the bright side though DD2 did a blind folded taste test, she tested 4 bars of chocolate that don't contain palm oil/fat (alot of the big named chocolate has it in) and the winner was ..........posh Aldeeeee. By making it fun I managed to eliminate what I call the marmite enigma of 'I don't like it even though I've never tasted it'. This is the child who also wouldn't eat yorkshire pudding done in a big pan because it didn't look right, so DH took a pair of scissors to it and made it round and she then ate it! Spent the rest of the day doing OU work and walking the dog.
    Better go I'm been hollered, please let it be edible.
    CRx
    • Saving Glut
    • By Saving Glut 13th Nov 18, 6:49 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    Saving Glut
    Hi Cross Rabbit. Just read your diary. You have made really impressive inroads in such a short period, especially your monthly shopping bill. I used to have an allotment, am impressed by your range of produce!
    IO BTL1 Mortgage was 97,963 on 09/08/18 and was 92,999 on 12/11/18.
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 13th Nov 18, 8:49 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,662 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Fingers crossed that you managed to eat!
    15 Month Challenge: House - 13585.85/25300; Mortgage - 1160/17000 ;
    MFW No. 167
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,581Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin