Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 195Posts
    • 1,123Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    the hedgehog's balloons.
    • 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    the hedgehog's balloons. 20th Aug 18 at 11:46 AM
    I've been a long time lurker but we received our mortgage update yesterday and it made me feel really low that it doesn't seem to be reducing that fast even though we've been paying it for 7 years. We paid a huge deposit on our current house but its always at the back of my mind that the bank still owns the upstairs part. We currently owe £82,000 with 18 years to go and in January next year our fixed rate mortgage will end. Unfortunately OH will be starting a new job next week and not sure if the bank will let us have another and will have to go on their standard rate as he won't have been in it long. We're a family of 4, OH works full time and also works occasionally as an adult tutor (a couple of weekends a year), both DD are still at school and I am at stay at home mum and full time carer for DD2 who is disabled. We also have a crazy but lovable dog. So my aim is to start small and go to the bank and arrange to OP by £50 a month until my bank of mum (interest free loan) is paid off. Where do I find the SOA page? I think by doing one of these will help.
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 26-08-2018 at 2:21 PM.
Page 3
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 7th Sep 18, 12:43 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    checked overpayment calculator and our mortgage will hopefully be paid off by December 2034 rather than July 2036 if we OP by £50 a month.
    Mortgage £82,000, due to end July 2036. 4/11/18 Mortgage £79,872.13
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 8th Sep 18, 8:09 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    DD1 up dressed and ready to go before 7am, almost unheard of. Did point out to her that she didn't need to get up till 730 and we wouldn't be leaving for camp till 830. She's had to go have a lie down. Mum and me are heading up the motorway afterwards to either the YSP gallery or if its raining continue on to the Hepworth. Pack lunches and waterproofs ready. Must put in some Italian bubbly in the fridge to chill for later. Hope you all have a good day.
    CR x
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 9th Sep 18, 8:07 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Not done alot today as feel really under the weather in fact felt this way for sometime must be coming down with something. Had to go back to bed after I visited 3 supermarkets today.1 of them was because I had a voucher otherwise wouldn't shop there normally. The meal planning is going well and managed to stick to it. I think in the past the problem has been it felt abit too rigid but this time I've built in 2 freezer/cupboard surprise days which can be moved around at will. This has been helped by batch cooking 1 to eat 1 to freeze. Another busy day tomorrow, I've got to go to the YHA that DH and DD2 are at so he can go to work and I can take DD2 to school. Then pick her up in the afternoon and take her to the hospital where hopefully they will give us good news.
    CR x
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 11th Sep 18, 8:22 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    DH and DD2 really enjoyed their wkend away. Hospital appointment went ok, they are putting her on meds for 6 months and hopefully it will have the desired affect. Today have lots of inside jobs to do which is good since it's raining here.
    CR x
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 12th Sep 18, 12:14 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    DH has finally found out when he will get paid, its only took him 2 and half weeks. he said he felt it wasn't a priority. This obviously led to a heated discussion on this topic as my view was very different since he had told me originally it would be the 1st instead of the 25th. Seriously wonder sometimes what he has between his ears. What can he not understand about having an additional week to pay for Anyway he was wrong thank goodness and its the 25th (sigh of relief). Been on the income tax calculator to estimate what his take home pay would be and i was about £250 out and was using that figure to plan our budget with. The extra £250 will be an added bonus as i was struggling to juggle the numbers over the past week or so. What it has highlighted to me is that we have no holiday fund or certain other pots that other posters have to help manage their budgets.I think also I want to make sure before I pay any additional money (already paying £50 a month via SO) to the mortgage that I've offset DH wage reduction (£137 per month) and any surplus money is divided between a holiday fund and additional OP. Hopefully this will keep me motivated.
    Wage reduction £137/£0. Holiday fund £50/£0. Additional OP £50/0 August 25th - September 25th
    Counted other saving pots 1p,2p and 5p pot total £6.49/ 10p and 20p pot £27.80
    CR x
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 12-09-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 14th Sep 18, 3:49 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Phone call from the doctor to say my iron levels are below what they should. That would explain why I feel like I'm wading through mud and why simple routine jobs are flooring me. Off to pick up some drugs hopefully they will put some zing in my step. Not a lot of MSE done this week. Hope you all have a good weekend
    CR x
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 15th Sep 18, 10:29 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Currently I should be on a coach travelling towards Harrogate flower show however instead I'm sat at home. Decided that I'm just too tired even though I'd had a really good nights sleep.I was really looking forward to going and seeing the largest cabbage and funny shaped veg etc. Energy levels are still really low and I'm finding it very frustrating as I have a long list of things that need sorting. Wish we'd opted to go in the car at least then I could of gone for asleep. Asked mum and DD2 to take lots of pictures.
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 15th Sep 18, 12:00 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Sorry you're feeling so poo cross rabbit hopefully once your iron levels are back to normal you will feel better

You're doing really well on the op's I always look at the budgets as a moveable feast - it takes a while to get the figures right and I have frequently found myself thinking that I haven't taken something into account!

Good luck with your journey - subscribed!
    15 Month Challenge: House - £13585.85/£25300; Mortgage - £1160/£17000 ;
    MFW No. 167
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 16th Sep 18, 12:36 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Thanks squirrelgirl for popping by. DD2 and mum really enjoyed Harrogate flower show but found it along day. We have decided we will go next year but go in the car so we can leave when we want.Remembered that when i was moving money around last week that I already had £50 (will be a regular occurrence) toward DH reduction in wages so I only need to find an extra £86 a month. Been to our local hospice charity shop to order DD2 a brand new mattress (had money in the slush fund to pay for it) Could of got a second hand one but I equate it to how I feel about buying second hand underwear. Probably could of got it cheaper elsewhere but we've had 2 other mattresses from them and they are mega comfy, hopefully it will arrive next week for me to go and pick up (delivery was £15). Good job I have a big car. Whilst there I was able to pick up 3 trays which will use to dry potatoes on before bagging them, which means I can reclaim my oven trays. Called at the allotment to harvest leeks, summer squash, apples, pears, kale, toms and kale. Which will hopefully be turned into some yummy teas this week supplemented by stuff in the cupboards and freezer, this should keep costs down this week. DD2 currently at MIL as she wanted to do a science project with CGS (Stands for Crazy Grandad ) hopefully they won't blow anything up. DD1 completed her jobs, made brownies to go in lunches next week and is now doing homework. Been reading alot about doing a spending freezer on pintrest but it sounds alot like some of the challenges that are currently been done on MSE forums. I did think about having a 5 day spending freeze but next week I've got WI meeting and paying for a holiday for next year. Although other than that there is nothing else I can think of that I need to get. Well need to go and sort veg. Have a good day
    CR x
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 17th Sep 18, 3:13 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Tried to book our holiday for next year on the same site as my SIL but due to it been a new property they don't have a price yet and will get back to me. Who advertise a property but doesn't have a price. Seriously if family hadn't used them before I'd think they were cowgirls. Spending freeze had a rapid thaw as my family appeared to have inhaled all the cheese I bought last week ( 3 blocks). Other things made their way into the trolley and ended up costing £34. Wish I could buy some mojo sick and tired of this anemia already. So to cheer me up I've invited myself to mums for a cooked breakfast. She does frazzley eggs which DH can't replicate when he does breakfast.. enjoy the rest of your day
    CR x
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 18th Sep 18, 6:41 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Been up an hour already as beginning to regret not continuing with my OU course. Will ring them today to see if it's too late to sort out plus student finance. I'd decided to have a year off to support the girls this year with potential issues and I'd found last year quite stressful trying to juggle things. However issues haven't cropped up or are not as difficult as we thought they'd be. It would bring me a year closer to returning back to work which would help with mortgage payments. Fingers crossed I can sort it. Right off to wake DD2 to start her physio
    Have a good day
    CR x
    • greent
    • By greent 18th Sep 18, 1:45 PM
    • 7,507 Posts
    • 76,185 Thanks
    greent
    I would have thought SF would be ok ?- my son only applied for finance a week ago Saturday and it was sorted by Monday (I was impressed) Fingers crossed OU are happy for you to continue x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £7127.06/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £718.06/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 18th Sep 18, 3:29 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Thanks greent I was going to ask you how you got on with student finance as I'd read your son had decided to go to university at short notice. Trying to sort things out at the moment so fingers crossed.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 18th Sep 18, 10:18 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    : course sorted and student finance applied for. Fingers crossed it will be approved
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 19th Sep 18, 4:37 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    DD2 ended up coming home from school early yesterday due to health issues and is still at home today. Not alot done other than house work and been to collect DD2 mattress (just got it the car, she did have a really good airbag though).
    Went to lottie meeting last night which are always entertaining watching the different factions trying to out mover each other. Not alot of insults traded which makes a change.
    WOW what a difference to my moral sorting my course out has done. I feel life is starting to pick up and heading in the right direction. This is even though I've discovered DH has spent money on cc and I'm wondering how we are going to pay for them. Another cc statement arrived and this time I've cocked up, I forgot to move the house insurance payment to the main account from a credit card we are due to cancel. This is a double !!!! up because i didn't even try to get a better deal. However looking at the budgets over the last month we seem to have been able to cut back and make some savings. Although there will be spare and could be used to OP it will have to offset the cc. This is highlighted that although I think I'm budgetting well I'm not. Back to the drawing board. Hoping to attend my first WI meeting with my friend tonight.
    Enjoy the rest of your day
    CR x
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 19-09-2018 at 4:41 PM.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Sep 18, 7:16 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 24,171 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Have fun at the WI

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 8% paid Overpayments: 3368.59 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 20th Sep 18, 12:39 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Hi fortune how is the running going? Had a fab time at WI although I did get lost on the way there. The directions from my friend turned out to be from her house and neither of us realised this until I got lost .Anyway it was really good, really friendly bunch and will go again, now i know where it is. They had a lady come in and do color analysis, I've had done this done years ago and apparently I'm a winter. She was offering discounted sessions to those that left their email addresses, so left mine as thought I would pay for DD1 as her christmas present. 16 year old girls seem to be so hard to buy for, well mine certainly is. Asked her if she fancied it after i picked her up from the barn dance (no pub for me after the WI ) and she thinks it would be cool to do. Why do teenagers smell so much, I know she'd washed, clean clothes before going but OMG the smell, you could of cut it with a knife. Asked if she'd put deodorant on (did ask after she commented that she smelt sweaty) my answer was a withering look.
    So DD2 off school again today and will be off tomorrow also. Fingers crossed she better by next week. Up early to get the pooch out as DD1 is off to her grandparents for tea after school and not sure what time DH will be in. DD2 can't be left on her own.
    Our bank statement arrived yesterday and it was interesting to see where money was spent, the amounts and how the transaction was done (card/cash). It highlighted that I'm taking money out at the beginning of the week for shopping and then when I'm doing a top up shop, using my card hence spending far too much!!!!!!! When logging our spends I need to really write the date, where it was spent,how much it cost, how i paid for it, and who it was (me or DH). I think i need to perhaps write down why something other than general shopping has been bought. I feel this will allow me monitor things better.
    Spent the last couple of hours researching money saving options. Found my supermarket comparison site and had a play around with hypothetical shopping baskets. Interesting to see what you can save although at the last count it meant visiting 5 different supermarkets. Also found out that we can get a Max card for DD2 which will reduce entry costs to some attractions. I always ask if they do a carers concession ( I don't get shirty like I've seen some people when told no, I'm just grateful if they do), but this is something she can use also. Also been informed we might be entitled to a council tax reduction so going to apply and see what happens, worst they can say is no. Although the form is 16 pages long and the amount of evidence you have to provide is unbelievable, no wonder people are put off applying (wonder if they design them with this purpose in mind). However I do agree that the council needs to check people are telling the truth, especially these days of constant budget cuts.
    Really looking forward to my week away with DH, really looking forward to having undisturbed sleep (usually by night 4 I get this), not having to be on constant vigilance,not been at someone beck and call, can't wait. Only 15 more sleeps and counting.
    Gosh what a long post. Have a good day everybody.
    CR x
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 20th Sep 18, 8:02 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Managed to find my bank card for an account (used to use it as a holiday fund) that I've not used in 2 years. So since I was going into town for other things I called in and closed it as it only had£6.89 in it which wouldn't pay for a sun holiday. Also closed my isa that I had kind of forgotten for the past year and not put anything in for about 3 years as it only had £15.90.in . I will start to look at opening another isa but with a better rate.Since I won't be able to make a significant additional OP due to other things, I used this "free" £20 to OP and the coins have gone in the various pots Paid for the Max card also. Worthwhile trip into town even though I was that wet only my pants were dry
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 23rd Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Had a fairly good weekend. My sister and I had a mini hen night as she gets married in a couple of weeks. We just went to dad's caravan, drank lots (all from home), and did diy pampering. She off next week to celebrate (very boozy) with friends, but I went all captain murtaugh (lethal weapon) and said i was getting too old for that s+!T. There is a 20 year age difference between us.
    So far this month (25th August - 25th September) I've mange to cover the wage drop of £86, saved £30 to the holiday fund and an additional £20 towards the mortgage. Reasonably happy with that.
    We've been chatting as a family (OH and I, my dad and his wife, and my sister and her hubby to be) about doing secret Santa (£20 each) instead of buying each family member a present. We've decided to go one further and actually donate the money to charity instead. We were going to excluded the kids and keep Christmas the same for them but DD1 wants to be involved. Have explained she won't get a present from either her grandparents or auntie, but she's adamant that she wants to join. I feel that my money saving ways are starting to rub off.
    CRx
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 24th Sep 18, 7:47 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Forgot to say paid the rent for our 2 allotments this weekend. Another thing not budgeted for Really need to get this budgeting lark more finally tuned.
    CRx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,409Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin