Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 412Posts
    • 2,489Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    the hedgehog's balloons.
    • 20th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    the hedgehog's balloons. 20th Aug 18 at 11:46 AM
    I've been a long time lurker but we received our mortgage update yesterday and it made me feel really low that it doesn't seem to be reducing that fast even though we've been paying it for 7 years. We paid a huge deposit on our current house but its always at the back of my mind that the bank still owns the upstairs part. We currently owe £82,000 with 18 years to go and in January next year our fixed rate mortgage will end. Unfortunately OH will be starting a new job next week and not sure if the bank will let us have another and will have to go on their standard rate as he won't have been in it long. We're a family of 4, OH works full time and also works occasionally as an adult tutor (a couple of weekends a year), both DD are still at school and I am at stay at home mum and full time carer for DD2 who is disabled. We also have a crazy but lovable dog. So my aim is to start small and go to the bank and arrange to OP by £50 a month until my bank of mum (interest free loan) is paid off. Where do I find the SOA page? I think by doing one of these will help.
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 26-08-2018 at 2:21 PM.
Page 15
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 10th Jan 19, 7:01 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    CR I'd feel torn too (I am terrible at anything involving negotiation or confrontation) but I agree with Karma that the priority is you. Strength to your arm!
    Choose kind
    MFW 2019 #103
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 12th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Thanks karmacat,fortune and hazelnutty for your advice and support. I think I hit the panic button as we'd had a letter from our current lender saying that our deal was comimg to an end and we are been put onto their standard rate which mean we will be paying an extra £32 a month. I obviously didn't really understand the mortgage in principle concept Fortune so thanks for pointing that out. We've always been with our current lender so not had to do any of these type of things before or if we have its thats long ago we can't remember. Anyway still proceeding with MB as that is almost sorted (she types hopefully).
    Main focus over the last couple of days has been recovering from been ill (DD1 has started with it), and supporting the girls with various hospital appointments. DD2 had a appointment to see her surgeon and he is really pleased with her progress (she's worked really hard on her physio) and feels that she doesn't need to have any injections in her legs at the moment and will review her in 6 months. On the downside DD2 is due to have her booster injection and follow up hpv vaccination this year which will mean 2 hospital admissions. DD2 been to have a blood test which will determine whether she has the same genetic condition as her dad and sister. Results will take 4 to 6 wks.
    Went to the allotment yesterday for an hour and dug up the rest of the carrots, harvested kale, cabbage and swede which we had for tea last night. The only things on our plates that we'd not grown was the sausages, yorkshire pudding and gravy.
    DH car needs a new wing mirror, mirror as there was a clashing of mirrors on one of the narrow country lanes on his way to work. So need to order the part and fix it our selves instead of taking it to the garage.
    DD2 reuable sanitary wear (pads) has arrived today, she has decided to clip them altogether and is wearing them as a crown. My kids are really odd.
    Hope you all have a good day and full of nice suprises.
    CRx
    TT of £4.39
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 12-01-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    Mortgage £82,000, due to end July 2036. 18/1/2019 Mortgage £79,150.55
    #67 mortgage free wannabe 2019 £157.48/£800
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    • 31,098 Posts
    • 182,713 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Your poor kids, to be dealing with genetic issues at such young ages I'm sorry to hear it. I really hope the support from the NHS and associated agencies continues.

Loving the oddness that's very creative
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 13th Jan 19, 8:42 AM
    • 849 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Morning Cross Rabbit. Your comment on my diary nudged me to pop across and have a look at yours and I promptly fell down your rabbit hole and read the whole thing

You really do bring your whole family and the challenges you are facing to life. If you don't mind me saying you do amazingly well in spite of the difficulties your family have and remain very positive.

If it OK I will subscribe so that I can follow your adventures.
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Jan 19, 8:47 AM
    • 7,913 Posts
    • 80,490 Thanks
    greent
    DD2 reuable sanitary wear (pads) has arrived today, she has decided to clip them altogether and is wearing them as a crown. My kids are really odd.
    Hope you all have a good day and full of nice suprises.
    CRx
    TT of £4.39
    Originally posted by the cross rabbit
    Really hoping they're the bright, funky coloured ones (all in different prints, too!) - that would look fab! xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1100/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £54.70/£500
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 13th Jan 19, 2:15 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    karmacat yes its sucks but it is what it is and we've just got to deal with it. There is always hope (well at least for the next 6 weeks until we get the results).
    Busy Mee1 happy for you to join me and I'll dig you out a space in the rabbit warren. I have to remain positive although I am the size of a house with all the comfort eating I do.
    Greent they are very funky designs and she certainly makes life interesting.
    House is clean due to a mad hour and half family clean up, DD1 has made me coconut macaroons yummy. DH is finally putting all the christmas stuff in the loft and we'll be able to reclaim the spare room. Christmas tree has been placed up the top of the garden for the birds to use as cover, and will slowly shed its needles every where (its abit like glitter, we'll be finding it for months). Shopping for next week done as needed drugs for DD1 as she is starting with a cold. Resurrected a plant pot (sprayed it white) from the garden as I potted up all the house plants the other day except the spider plant.
    Well thats all folk for now as we are taking DD2 swimmming as she wants to show her dad what she can do in the water.
    CRx
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 13th Jan 19, 3:06 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Your description of dd wearing her pads as a crown had me Good for her, I hope she gets on with them ok

We also have a genetic condition in our family, I've been really fortunate in that none of my children are affected by it. However, when the time comes for them to have children it could rear it's head again. The things they're doing with gene therapy are amazing though, so who knows what the future holds

Any news from your mortgage broker yet? We've always had the same provider so I have no advice to offer you I'm afraid

Great idea to paint a plant pot I've got some plants and succulents to re pot so I might pinch that idea myself

Happy Sunday
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 14th Jan 19, 1:23 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Crumpets Your so right the future holds hope. Not heard from the MB as of whatever time this gets posted.
    Swimming yesterday went well, I managed to swim 20 lengths whilst DH and DD2 played and swam more the latter. You can tell we've not been for awhile and they had new lifeguards as we were asked about DD2 and her ability to swim. Lets just say she has her own unique style thats a cross between swimming and looking like she is drowning (she's not). So we went through the usual speal of ' yes she can swim 2 lengths unaided, no she's not struggling, she's disabled and yes her style is unique, we swim next to her to stop her clonking someone on the head when turning over in the water, no its ok to say something, thats fine its your job to check'. She managed to swim 4 lengths with DH whilst dodging lots of other people.
    Been to see my sister this morning as she has been allocated an allotment, she has her work cut out, very weedy, lots of couch grass. Her hubbby keeps pointing out she hates gardening he shut up when I said I do too. If it can't be eaten I'm not really interested. Talked chickems and the pro's and cons of having them. I'd love chickens but we live an hour's walk from ours and with ongoing issues I can't say I'd be able to give them the care they need. She's thinking about having some (10 minutes walk from her house)and I suggested I would help pay for the feed if I got a share of the eggs.
    TT of 85p
    Well best go as I need to go and pick up DD2 as she has a hospital appointment.
    Hope you have a fab day
    CRx
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 14-01-2019 at 1:28 PM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 19, 2:12 PM
    • 31,098 Posts
    • 182,713 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You can tell we've not been for awhile and they had new lifeguards as we were asked about DD2 and her ability to swim. Lets just say she has her own unique style thats a cross between swimming and looking like she is drowning (she's not). So we went through the usual speal of ' yes she can swim 2 lengths unaided, no she's not struggling, she's disabled and yes her style is unique, we swim next to her to stop her clonking someone on the head when turning over in the water, no its ok to say something, thats fine its your job to check'. She managed to swim 4 lengths with DH whilst dodging lots of other people.
    Originally posted by the cross rabbit
    She sounds amazing!

If it can't be eaten I'm not really interested.
    Well best go as I need to go and pick up DD2 as she has a hospital appointment.
    Hope you have a fab day
    CRx
    This! So much this Hope your day is full of fabbiness too.
    Retired August 2016
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 14th Jan 19, 7:50 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    So we went to see the Dr and spent 1hr and 10 minutes waiting to see them, but it was worth it even though we were only in there for 5 minutes. They are really pleased that the drugs have kicked started her body into what it should be doing so they are taking her off them and will review her in 6 months. DD2 was really pleased until I mentioned she wouldn't be getting marshmellows in a morning from now on (we inset the tablet in the marshie as she couldn't swallow them naked). So pleased one less Dr to see. Celebrated with homemade burgers, fries and salad. Lots emojis as they are doing what i'm currently feeling.
    Hope you've all had a jumping for joy moment today and if not sending virtual hugs.
    CRx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 19, 9:51 PM
    • 31,098 Posts
    • 182,713 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm very pleased for you both, CR xxx
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Jan 19, 9:37 AM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 12,646 Thanks
    themadvix
    That's wonderful news!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 15th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Thanks Karmacat and themadvix, its great news.
    Need to take the remaining medication back the the pharmacy as on the black market they would bring in alot of money (not enough to pay my mortgage off). Its a shame they can't be redistributed as they haven't been opened but I suppose H/S wouldn't approve. Came back down to earth with a bump this morning, DD2 woke up full of cold and looks like death warmed up so, she is currently in bed. Hey ho.
    So to keep a track of my spending i'm going to record it on here at least once month to see if it highlights any areas I'm missing/need to re-evalulate/or increase/decrease the budget for that category.So payday is the 25th of every month.

25/12/18 -25/1/19

Money spent. Budget for the month
    Food £287.52/ £440
    Petrol £147.63/ £350
    Medinces. £37.10/£22
    Clothes £5.50/£30
    Entertainment £61.30/£60
    Misc £37.11/£0

Issues already highlighted almost half way through the month is we actually don't have a budget for household spends and the medical budget in my orginal budget was for health insurance not additional medi stuff (painkillers, vit and mins etc ). Again not enough. Holiday budget in arrears of £38 and nothing currently in Christmas/birthday pot oh pants the entertainment budget is over too.
    We've had a chat with DD1 about her clothing allowance and she has agreed to a reduction, DH the sucker has given her till April to get used to the idea . When I worked out how much money she gets from us and her grandparents a month, she has more money than DH and I do. Anyway stuck with the situation till April, which is when we start giving DD2 a clothing allowance. We'll be £20 a month better off though.
    TT of 76p.
    Tea almost prepared for my mum's birthday tea, however it might have to be postponed as her dog appears to have had a stroke and is going to the vets this afternoon. Hoping she'll be ok, but not sure which way it will go. I'm quite attached to my mum's dog as I picked her and often have her if mum is busy or away. Positive thoughts.
    Right signing off to go and think of some MSE ways to improve budget/spends. Hope you all manage to have a MSE day.
    CRx
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 15-01-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Jan 19, 6:45 PM
    • 7,913 Posts
    • 80,490 Thanks
    greent
    Hope the dog is ok xx (and great news about DD and the meds! )
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1100/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £54.70/£500
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jan 19, 7:13 PM
    • 31,098 Posts
    • 182,713 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hoping the dog is okay too.
    Retired August 2016
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 16th Jan 19, 11:48 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    So, between my mum's dog and DD2 I've not slept really. DD2 full of cold, been sick and had earache in the middle of the night. Ended up kicking DH out of bed and into the spare room and got DD2 into bed with me, as I was constantly up and down to her. She finally fell asleep about 6am and is still in bed.
    My mum's dog is here with me, as the poor thing can hardly walk and mum only has a small backyard and has always taken the dog down the road to a grassy area to do her business (she does scoop) first thing and last thing at night. It would be too far for the dog to walk and its easier for her to get into my garden, plus the dog needs to be lifted to stand and she's too heavy for my mum. She is on lots of drugs for the pain (how hard is it to pry open a dogs mouth and insert meds) and we are just waiting to see if they will help with the health issues she is currently experiencing. Last night we had to cover her in a wet towel to keep her temp down, looked like a jedi knight (dog style). Mum is ringing the vet to give them an update and will see if they want to see her again or waiting and seeing how she is over the next couple of days. So far the bill is £450 and could increase (no insurance, but as my mum says this is the first time she's needed care (dog is 10)(think she is using this to justlfy her decision not to have insurance) and she may need to make the big decision at the end of the week ). Mum has taken my hooligan home with her.
    Need to go as mum has arrived
    CRx
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 16th Jan 19, 2:57 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,494 Thanks
    Arkers
    Hi CR - top tip re dog meds (our dog is on a lot) crushing or dosing the meds in pate (not expensive to buy eg supermarket own brand brussels or ardennes). You can hide it really easily so long as she can tolerate food then this might be worth a go, good luck.
    Arkers x
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 16th Jan 19, 4:48 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Arkers Thank you so much for your helpful post. I've really not enjoyed having to put my fingers down the dog's throat to make sure she has the multiple tablets she's been prescribed. Tried cheese, tuna, sausages and chicken, so will give pate a go. Makes sense really. She has improved slighty, managed to keep food and water down, been for a couple of visits to the garden, but her leg is very swollen and painful. She's going to be staying with me until either she makes a full recovery or until mum decides what she is going to do. We are very focused on giving the dog every possible opportunity to recover and even researched how much her medication will cost online rather than the vets.
    Been into town to collect prescription for the dog and pick up some more drugs for DD2 (boots points used). Cheque and christmas money paid in. DH car topped up. TT of 19p. Been to CF and managed to get 21 cards for £2.99.
    It comes as no surprise that because I am supposed to be going out tonight (WI) that I am coming down with the same thing as the kids and looking likely that I'm going to have to cancel.
    Hope you are all well.
    CRx
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 16-01-2019 at 6:03 PM.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 18th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Daisy (thats my mum's dog name) continue to improves although very, very very slowly and is currently at the vets with my mum and uncle (DD2 still off school so he's come to help). I don't think Daisy is going to be returning home anytime soon. I don't mind but I'm missing our dog Holly especially the walks. She tends to bully Daisy and anything Daisy has Holly has to have it even if she alredy has say a treat hence why she is at my mum's.
    Didn't end up going to the WI as rushed head first into a very heavy cold. Apparently they did laughing yoga (had to goole this) and my friend said it was a really good night. Had to have several nana naps yesterday which was fatal as that meant I didn't get to sleep till really late. The hubbster woke me up several times up in the night because I was drooling on him and didn't appreciate me sneezing in his direction. Lets just say he had to wash his hair this morning and leave it at that
    Since I've been ill several NSD have been bagged. MB and new lender have been in touch, but not managed to look through paper work yet. On my list to do once I can concentrate better. No TT done either. Need to phone my gran up and cancel (again) tomorrow as we are not well enough to visit.
    Sending arm length hugs to all those who need it.
    CRx
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 18th Jan 19, 12:46 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    TT of 94p. Checked how much is outstanding on mortgage currently stand at £79,150.81 however the interest hasn't been added on yet. Been playing around with the overpayment calculator to see how much quicker the mortage would be paid off if we OP by £100 (extra would be from the £50 we will be saving with the new mortagage) instead of £50. We would be mortgage free in 2032 instead of 2036. I think it could possibly be earlier if I continue to TT however those bits aren't going to be definate. It also means that when our morgtage deal is up in 5 years we will be in the right bracket for getting a better deal (I think). 2032 still seems such a long way off though.
    CRx
    Last edited by the cross rabbit; 18-01-2019 at 1:09 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,233Posts Today

6,178Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AskJames: Someone quickly marry me so I can justify buying this. I do. "Tesco is selling a five tier wedding cake made of cheese - an?

• Today's FRIDAY twitter poll: Draconian & absurd new laws by May/Corbyn/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dicta? https://t.co/umCa8jP7LT

• Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• Follow Martin