Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • st999
    • By st999 18th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 1,203Posts
    • 671Thanks
    st999
    When to fill up with petrol?
    • 18th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    When to fill up with petrol? 18th Aug 18 at 3:50 PM
    I am going to make a round trip of 400 miles, 200 each way and my car has a tank capacity of 35 litres, about 7 1/2 gallons.

The car gets about 45 mpg driving at 75 - 80 mph.

When I get to my destination it will be a week before I drive back home.

Should I fill my tank up just before my destination at the cheapest petrol station and leave the tank full for a week or should I fill it up at the first opportunity on the way back?
Page 2
    • facade
    • By facade 19th Aug 18, 4:54 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    facade
    I think the extra weight on a 50 litre tank is negligible compared to an airliner with 1000s of tonnes on board.

Also if I'm making a quick getaway, I haven't time to stop off for fuel.
    Originally posted by LeeUK

It does make a tiny tiny difference, competition cyclists and motorcyclists spend a fortune on exotic materials to save a few grammes, but you'd think that going on a diet would be a lot cheaper and make more difference (It would for me, I could do with losing 10kg at least )

I'm with you on the "Keep it full, there may be a Tanker Drivers strike, or Civil Emergency by then" btw
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Nov 18, 7:07 PM
    • 6,103 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Just had 560 miles out of a full (50 litre) tank of diesel and only now has the warning light come on, so still at least another 30 or so miles left.

• fred990
    • By fred990 10th Nov 18, 7:51 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    fred990
    That is how airliners work now. They have just enough to make it as the fuel light comes on (Why cart around an extra couple of tons of fuel when you probably won't need it). If there is an unexpected headwind, or they get stuck in a diversion they run out and crash. (Happened a couple of times on "Shock! Horror! Air Crash!" or whatever it is called. .
    Originally posted by facade
    Nearly, 30 mins holding then !!!!!! off to somewhere with no fuel left having declared on the way! Lugging tons of excess fuel around the world was about 6% an hour if I remember correctly?
    It was very frowned upon even if the destination was forecast to be crap. However if there was a fuelling problem downroute, no worries just take loads coz it'll be cheaper.
    Once flew halfway around the world in an empty 777-300 just to bring it back, two of us wasting many tons but that was okay. I don't worry now so much about my 'footprint'.
    I fancy an RS6 but faff over the mpg! Why bother?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Nov 18, 8:15 PM
    • 17,869 Posts
    • 10,899 Thanks
    motorguy
    Just had 560 miles out of a full (50 litre) tank of diesel and only now has the warning light come on, so still at least another 30 or so miles left.

Its one of the few things i miss about my Passat TDI - the huge range between fills.

Fortunately i dont have to drive a diesel now though.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 10th Nov 18, 10:03 PM
    • 11,495 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    DUTR
    Its one of the few things i miss about my Passat TDI - the huge range between fills.

Fortunately i dont have to drive a diesel now though.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    If the 560miles is after a run, that isn't particularly impressive, my 2 litre petrol turbo will return near that for long runs.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Nov 18, 10:42 PM
    • 6,103 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    LeeUK
    If the 560miles is after a run, that isn't particularly impressive, my 2 litre petrol turbo will return near that for long runs.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    No that's since last fill up but 400 of those miles (2 x 200 mile trips) were motorway + some mileage around Dublin a couple of weeks ago too. (took car on the ferry).
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 11th Nov 18, 7:14 AM
    • 8,415 Posts
    • 7,756 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Where would be the cheapest petrol on the A1 or A19 or A187 between Edinburgh and North Shields ferry terminal?
    Originally posted by st999
    You're unlikely to be buying enough fuel for it to make much difference. Just use the first non-service station one you pass after dropping under a quarter tank.
    You'll probably waste more money than you save hunting for the cheapest.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 11th Nov 18, 7:30 AM
    • 10,104 Posts
    • 8,332 Thanks
    prowla
    If you are passing a supermarket with a petrol station then go in and fill up; it's better than making a special trip or having to detour to go and look for one.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 11th Nov 18, 7:54 AM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 2,213 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    If a car has a range of over 300 miles why on earth would you fill up after 200?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Nov 18, 8:41 AM
    • 19,579 Posts
    • 13,782 Thanks
    molerat
    If a car has a range of over 300 miles why on earth would you fill up after 200?
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    It is called planning. I do it on one of my regular long journeys. I can fill up half a tank on cheap petrol giving me enough to get to my next known cheap fill. You then have 300 miles till you need to fill up again instead of just 100. I also make sure I have well over half a tank before I hit the Scottish highlands on my way home, especially in winter !
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Nov 18, 9:09 AM
    • 17,869 Posts
    • 10,899 Thanks
    motorguy
    It would be around 50ish MPG by my calcs.

My 2.0i Turbo Cooper S averages around 34 MPG with reasonably enthusiastic driving where possible. It would do high 30s maybe 40mpg if i was doing long runs and taking it easy. Small tank doesnt help it though. I only do around 7,000 miles a year in it anyway.

Our A45 averages around 27mpg. It would maybe break 30mpg if it was getting long runs. It gets around 10,000 miles a year.

The last diesel i had that i had to do big miles in was a Golf 1.6TDI and it was averaging around 62-65mpg as it was doing long, steady runs. Was doing around 28,000 a year then.

Diesels IMHO are too much risk these days with DPF, turbo and EGR valve issues being quite prevalent, so unless i was doing mega miles again i wouldnt go back - and even then i'd probably consider a hybrid.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Nov 18, 9:51 AM
    • 9,783 Posts
    • 4,922 Thanks
    missile
    Fill up whenever it is most convenient to you
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 11th Nov 18, 10:18 AM
    • 11,495 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    DUTR
    No that's since last fill up but 400 of those miles (2 x 200 mile trips) were motorway + some mileage around Dublin a couple of weeks ago too. (took car on the ferry).
    The 2 * 200 were runs , in May I done 2*230miles then was about 100 miles in my car (which isn't a diesel and auto with a boot full of camping gear)
    Birmingham to Pett, my tank is 11 gallon (55litres).
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Nov 18, 10:22 AM
    • 19,098 Posts
    • 17,505 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Can somebody PLEASE reassure me this is all a spoof?
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 11th Nov 18, 10:23 AM
    • 11,495 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    DUTR
    It would be around 50ish MPG by my calcs.

My 2.0i Turbo Cooper S averages around 34 MPG with reasonably enthusiastic driving where possible. It would do high 30s maybe 40mpg if i was doing long runs and taking it easy. Small tank doesnt help it though. I only do around 7,000 miles a year in it anyway.

Our A45 averages around 27mpg. It would maybe break 30mpg if it was getting long runs. It gets around 10,000 miles a year.

The last diesel i had that i had to do big miles in was a Golf 1.6TDI and it was averaging around 62-65mpg as it was doing long, steady runs. Was doing around 28,000 a year then.

Diesels IMHO are too much risk these days with DPF, turbo and EGR valve issues being quite prevalent, so unless i was doing mega miles again i wouldnt go back - and even then i'd probably consider a hybrid.
    Twas a Golf PP, in winter around town I still get 29-32mpg as soon as you do any kind of run mid 40s and that includes the odd sprint here n there .
    Looking at my last statements I'm getting 38mpg mixed driving.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 11th Nov 18, 10:26 AM
    • 11,495 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    DUTR
    Can somebody PLEASE reassure me this is all a spoof?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    The opening post or mine?
    There was a you tube vid where they compared the MK7 GTI and GTD, over their tests the GTD was returning 6mpg better than the GTI (GTDs are cheaper to buy from new) .
    Last edited by DUTR; 11-11-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Nov 18, 10:45 AM
    • 17,869 Posts
    • 10,899 Thanks
    motorguy
    Twas a Golf PP, in winter around town I still get 29-32mpg as soon as you do any kind of run mid 40s and that includes the odd sprint here n there .
    Looking at my last statements I'm getting 38mpg mixed driving.
    Yes, thats pretty good - probably in line with expectations around my Cooper S if it got longer runs and i didnt drive it so hard. Over on the MINI forums the consensus is its doable.

The A45 just doesnt return those sorts of figures for us, but with 380BHP i dont really begrudge it the fuel. Not helped that it requires Super Unleaded.

I think even i was doing up to 15,000 miles a year i'd stick with the Cooper S and drive it easy with the expectation it would get around 40mpg. Heading towards 30,000 a year again then changing would become worth looking at.

I doubt i'll ever be doing those miles again so hopefully a moot point for me.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 11th Nov 18, 10:56 AM
    • 11,495 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    DUTR
    Yes, thats pretty good - probably in line with expectations around my Cooper S if it got longer runs and i didnt drive it so hard. Over on the MINI forums the consensus is its doable.

The A45 just doesnt return those sorts of figures for us, but with 380BHP i dont really begrudge it the fuel. Not helped that it requires Super Unleaded.

I think even i was doing up to 15,000 miles a year i'd stick with the Cooper S and drive it easy with the expectation it would get around 40mpg. Heading towards 30,000 a year again then changing would become worth looking at.

I doubt i'll ever be doing those miles again so hopefully a moot point for me.
    Thing is I don't drive it like miss daisy or then like it is stolen, a burst here n there satisfies .
    I was looking at the AMG A45 at the time too and still got a half eye on the A35 as the replacement for me as long as I'm getting 30mpg around town and mid 30s on a run I'm content, in the past I have had use of a TTD and the return for the same driving was 2-3 mpg better but in practical terms I'm topping up at the same intervals and those sprints are worth the extra fiver .
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Nov 18, 12:40 PM
    • 17,869 Posts
    • 10,899 Thanks
    motorguy
    Thing is I don't drive it like miss daisy or then like it is stolen, a burst here n there satisfies .
    I was looking at the AMG A45 at the time too and still got a half eye on the A35 as the replacement for me as long as I'm getting 30mpg around town and mid 30s on a run I'm content, in the past I have had use of a TTD and the return for the same driving was 2-3 mpg better but in practical terms I'm topping up at the same intervals and those sprints are worth the extra fiver .
    Thats really good MPG you're getting. My Cooper S is modded by around +60BHP so thats probably not helping MPG.

I think yes, an A35 would be capable of 30 to mid 30s.

Not sure if an A35 will need super unleaded but the A45 does.

Ours takes around 40-50 a week in super unleaded and we average around 10,000 miles a year in it.

Even @ 27MPG we're not too bothered - we dont begrudge it, given the performance.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 11th Nov 18, 12:58 PM
    • 11,495 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    DUTR
    Thats really good MPG you're getting. My Cooper S is modded by around +60BHP so thats probably not helping MPG.

I think yes, an A35 would be capable of 30 to mid 30s.

Not sure if an A35 will need super unleaded but the A45 does.

Ours takes around 40-50 a week in super unleaded and we average around 10,000 miles a year in it.

Even @ 27MPG we're not too bothered - we dont begrudge it, given the performance.
    I put super in mine, 35 a week, I've done 223 miles since last fill and there is still 9 litres left
    The car rarely needs to see 2k rpm.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,646Posts Today

6,557Users online

Martin's Twitter