Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diz79
    • By diz79 17th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 215Posts
    • 1Thanks
    diz79
    Double din Stereo with waze
    • 17th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    Double din Stereo with waze 17th Aug 18 at 8:23 PM
    Hi I wondered if anyone could help, Ive been searching a lot over the internet and found mixed reviews on the xtrons and pumpkin made android stereos, some the digital radio doesent work or some apps dont work. Has anyone else manged to find decent one that works for around 200.

Do you have any other recomendations if it just had dab and could run waze that would be fine I think?

I basically would like to get one so I could run the waze gps through it, possibly a few music based apps and digital radio. I drive a focus mk2.5.

Thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078Y5J61T/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A11GZS8Q2 4Q8KN

https://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/pumpkin-7-inch-double-din-android-7-1-car-stereo-radio-dvd-player-for-ford-focus-mondeo-galaxy-s-max-silver.html
Page 2
    • diz79
    • By diz79 13th Sep 18, 11:39 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    diz79
    You need to use one of the cables you got. Its the cable labelled 3G/USB/Mic in the manual and has a white plug on one end, two USB sockets and a phono socket. Once you've got it connected then open up the DAB application on the head unit.
    Originally posted by Tarambor

I tried this with both usb adaptors, please see pics

Do you not think its the digital app at all like I showed before?

https://www.autopumpkin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2066

Thanks
    • diz79
    • By diz79 13th Sep 18, 11:44 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    diz79
    no, mine's good (link in this thread). I replaced a pioneer head unit and dab aerial with mine, and with non-extensive testing, it's on par, signal wise. Yes i bought similar

do you know that you have good reception otherwise? Do you have another usb port you could test? Do you have anything else connected to usb that might be interfering? 3g dongle especially.

No nothing connected at all, all parts have been tested and wprking.

There's likely a mic at the front of the head unit, but there should also be a jack (headphone type socket) to plug an external mic into, which will give better results. Yes it does come with a mic to attach to the adaptor, but there is already an inbuilt one in my car just wondered how easy it was to set that up?

'manufacturers' do recommend 'their own' but they're often 50, compared to unbranded at around 20 - i took a chance and it worked.

And that thread seems to be about 'b' units - i'm pretty sure you just bought a 'd' unit.
    Originally posted by almillar

ok thats great thanks , i used capitals to help distinguish answers.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 14th Sep 18, 2:40 PM
    • 7,535 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    almillar
    OK, there's a port labelled 3G/USB, and you've photographed the connector that looks like it goes in there - there's 2 USB ports. Try it in each of these. Plug it in. Reboot, properly, the head unit. Not just switching the car off, where it quick boots. On my unit I need to stick a pen tip into a tiny button to do this. You want to see the boot logo. Once it's booted, try the DAB app again. First thing that needs done is to do a station search. This takes a while on any DAB radio.
    Be patient, and test BOTH those USB ports.
    You may have even more USB ports going into some of those other connectors.
    Do you not think its the digital app at all like I showed before?
    It's *a* DAB app. Not sure if it's the same as mine but it looks like that's the only one recommended on the Pumpkin forum.
    No nothing connected at all, all parts have been tested and wprking.
    Good
    Yes it does come with a mic to attach to the adaptor, but there is already an inbuilt one in my car just wondered how easy it was to set that up?
    No setup needed AFAIK, you've just got to get the cable around the car from the back of the head unit, up to the top of the windscreen pillar. This mic might be better quality than the one in the head unit, but more importantly, can be located closer to your mouth so that you can be heard better. Worth doing if you're planning to use it for calls at all I reckon. Difficulty of installation depends on the car really.
    • diz79
    • By diz79 14th Sep 18, 7:21 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    diz79
    OK, there's a port labelled 3G/USB, and you've photographed the connector that looks like it goes in there - there's 2 USB ports. Try it in each of these. Plug it in. Reboot, properly, the head unit. Not just switching the car off, where it quick boots. On my unit I need to stick a pen tip into a tiny button to do this. You want to see the boot logo. Once it's booted, try the DAB app again. First thing that needs done is to do a station search. This takes a while on any DAB radio.
    Be patient, and test BOTH those USB ports.
    You may have even more USB ports going into some of those other connectors.

It's *a* DAB app. Not sure if it's the same as mine but it looks like that's the only one recommended on the Pumpkin forum.

Good
    Yes it does come with a mic to attach to the adaptor, but there is already an inbuilt one in my car just wondered how easy it was to set that up?
    No setup needed AFAIK, you've just got to get the cable around the car from the back of the head unit, up to the top of the windscreen pillar. This mic might be better quality than the one in the head unit, but more importantly, can be located closer to your mouth so that you can be heard better. Worth doing if you're planning to use it for calls at all I reckon. Difficulty of installation depends on the car really.
    Originally posted by almillar

Thanks very much all I had to do was reset it for dab + all done seems like a good unit. Shame the instruction manual doesent expalin more and not muxh online but really appreciate your help.

What I actually meant with the mic is, is there a way of using thw ford mic which is already in the car, which was excellent before, wondered if Tarambor had figured this out as simialr car?

Then I guess keep this thread alive until someone comes accross a way to. ...

* stop the reverse park issue with screen

*How to change time from Beijing to English

*how to update to next android update

Apologies if not great grammar as using mobile.

Thanks again
    • oldhand
    • By oldhand 15th Sep 18, 12:08 PM
    • 3,355 Posts
    • 7,388 Thanks
    oldhand
    Now I know how old I am,haven't the foggiest what any of this means.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 17th Sep 18, 1:08 PM
    • 7,535 Posts
    • 3,098 Thanks
    almillar
    Shame the instruction manual doesent expalin more
    Instruction manual? Ha! Don't expect one, or to be able to undestand it, with this stuff.

What I actually meant with the mic is, is there a way of using thw ford mic which is already in the car, which was excellent before, wondered if Tarambor had figured this out as simialr car?
    This is simple, in theory. We've been over what connector your car has, what connector does your Ford have? Maybe it'll plug straight in, maybe you'll need to cut a cord and put a different plug on. I was fortunate that all I needed to do going from the Pioneer one that I installed myself, is get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack adaptor.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 17th Sep 18, 1:26 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    I use an iPad mini,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,275Posts Today

8,692Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin