Capital One - Approved but cancelled afterwards

Options
Hi, I'm looking for info on details on how capital one deal with approved customers, I applied for a new credit card 7 days ago with capital one, after applying I was Declined for a different card so I tried the classic card that helps build credit and I was Approved with a £200 credit limit so it asked me to sign the agreement and to set up Direct Debt after I set up DD details, on screen it told me its all set up and I should get my online account details and pin and card in the post, I even have proof of this telling me, but I noticed I have not got any email or letters in the post about the card coming, so today I called capital one and they informed me both my applications was declined and cancelled! But I don't understand as the classic card I was approved and I even set up direct debt so how can this happen,

So I was wondering is that even correct what capital one did? They tell me I'm approved and take my bank account details and set up DD but still declined me!

For the record I was Approved not Pre-Approved

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It happens from time to time.

You could try appealing, or more practically, try somwhere else.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Only you know what state your credit files/history is like - have you had any previous financial problems?
  • RobertCampbell90
    Options
    Nope never had any issues with credit in the past, never had any loans credit cards, only mobile contract and never missed a payment, the point of the topic is I was already approved and accepted for a capital one card and set up DD but somehow after it all it showing I was never accepted or approved on capital one database
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You seem to have failed so me subsequent checks following your application
  • GibbsRule_No3
    Options
    How soon after you were declined for one card did you apply for the one you were "approved" for? Perhaps it took awhile for the "approved" card to show you had been declined for the earlier one. They then declined that one as well.
    Paddle No 21 :wave:
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    @RobertCampbell90 - Why not 'phone them and ask if they can accept you for a secured card. This is when you pay a refundable security deposit for a £250 limit card...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,719 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 August 2018 at 11:38AM
    Options
    It happens from time to time.

You could try appealing, or more practically, try somwhere else.

Just be wary about making too many credit applications in a short amount of time - lenders typically don't like to see that.

You could call them and ask why they cancelled the application/ask for a review, but I wouldn't expect much if they've already made a decision.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking for info on details on how capital one deal with approved customers, I applied for a new credit card 7 days ago with capital one, after applying I was Declined for a different card so I tried the classic card that helps build credit and I was Approved with a £200 credit limit so it asked me to sign the agreement and to set up Direct Debt after I set up DD details, on screen it told me its all set up and I should get my online account details and pin and card in the post, I even have proof of this telling me, but I noticed I have not got any email or letters in the post about the card coming, so today I called capital one and they informed me both my applications was declined and cancelled! But I don't understand as the classic card I was approved and I even set up direct debt so how can this happen,

So I was wondering is that even correct what capital one did? They tell me I'm approved and take my bank account details and set up DD but still declined me!

For the record I was Approved not Pre-Approved

Thanks

Check Capital one aka Credit Wise as i was pre-approved...credit checked and passsed...direct debit set up and two weeks later when chased them they said declined.

Checked all three credit agencies and all is good...check Credit wise by capital one and they had !!!!!!d the data.

Then believe it or not even after the Ombudsman got involved they have done something similar...and are reporting incorrect facts.

They even stated to Ombudsman that the reward i was given would have to be credited to my credit card balance...i dont have a card with them,they really are so poor id avoid them like the plague.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ...i dont have a card with them,they really are so poor id avoid them like the plague.
    I've had a card with CapitalOne for over ten years. Started with a secured card, where I had to pay a security deposit of £49 before they would send me a card with a £250 credit limit. I've now got a £8,400 limit!! I've had no problems with them and would recommend them as a good company to build a credit history with. They definitely helped me. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    I've had a card with CapitalOne for over ten years. Started with a secured card, where I had to pay a security deposit of £49 before they would send me a card with a £250 credit limit. I've now got a £8,400 limit!! I've had no problems with them and would recommend them as a good company to build a credit history with. They definitely helped me. :)

Thats great that you have had a good service...its when its goes wrong you appreciate the way your issue is dealt with.

Ive had multiple cards over the years...and it wasn't until the Ombudsman looked back at the history between myself and Cap1 only then i realised how many issues there had been.

I took out one of the cards in 2007..2010 went bankrupt,they still to this day insist that i owe them money and the account is live,even the obudsman said it cant be due to the BR in 2010.

Cap1 ignore that minor detail..they say i have accounts in arrears,me Cap1 and Equifax along with the Ombudsman all agree no accounts are in arrears...guess what Cap1 keep reporting on Credit wise there own CRA...Accounts in arrears...:eek::rotfl:

Then as i said above the reward due to Cap1 incompetence awarded by Ombudsman Cap1 states they will credit my card and reduce balance,as i said i noi longer have accounts with them...honestly beggars belief.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure