Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • burtons
    • By burtons 12th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 541Posts
    • 75Thanks
    burtons
    Does nowtv fibre broadband use the existing phone line
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    Does nowtv fibre broadband use the existing phone line 12th Aug 18 at 9:22 PM
    I currently have adsl broadband but I'm thinking of changing to nowtv fab fibre broadband but do they use the existing phone line as mine is in an unsuitable place.
Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 10,472 Posts
    • 10,628 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    I currently have adsl broadband but I'm thinking of changing to nowtv fab fibre broadband but do they use the existing phone line as mine is in an unsuitable place.
    Originally posted by burtons
    Yes. In fact, all providers except Virgin are likely to use the existing BT line upon which to provide FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) services.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • burtons
    • By burtons 13th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    burtons
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    Yes. In fact, all providers except Virgin are likely to use the existing BT line upon which to provide FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) services.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    When you change over to fibre broadband do they send out an engineer as I was wondering if they could move the master socket. I asked on nowtv live chat and they didn't know.
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Aug 18, 9:24 AM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 3,219 Thanks
    takman
    • 13th Aug 18, 9:24 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 9:24 AM
    When you change over to fibre broadband do they send out an engineer as I was wondering if they could move the master socket. I asked on nowtv live chat and they didn't know.
    Like all broadband providers they would only send out an Openreach engineer if they needed to make some connection changes to allow you to get the best fibre speed.

I very much doubt they would move the master socket unless you paid them to do it.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 10,472 Posts
    • 10,628 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 13th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    I agree with Takman. In many cases, when taking new BB from a provider other than Virgin, there is no need for an engineer to call at your home. They send you the necessary router in the post, and you install it when the time comes.

Why do you need it to be moved? Would there be an alternative to moving it, or some kind of DIY solution?
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13-08-2018 at 3:21 PM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • burtons
    • By burtons 13th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    burtons
    • 13th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    Why do need it to be moved? Would there be an alternative to moving it, or some kind of DIY solution?
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    The phone line running to my master socket runs over the front step and then out the back it's attaches to the front of the step so people keeps stepping on it.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Aug 18, 3:26 PM
    • 10,472 Posts
    • 10,628 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 13th Aug 18, 3:26 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 3:26 PM
    That would be a BT Openreach job, I think.

They have a free number where you could contact them and ask:-

https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/altering-our-network/getting-help-with-your-projects.aspx

• macman
    • By macman 13th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    • 42,277 Posts
    • 17,676 Thanks
    macman
    • 13th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    The phone line running to my master socket runs over the front step and then out the back it's attaches to the front of the step so people keeps stepping on it.
    So that should not be chargeable, since it's upstream from the master socket. You'd have to persuade the OR engineer that it was badly installed.
    You can't contact OR directly, you need to report the fault to your line rental provider.
    Last edited by macman; 13-08-2018 at 4:29 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Aug 18, 4:28 PM
    • 42,277 Posts
    • 17,676 Thanks
    macman
    • 13th Aug 18, 4:28 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 4:28 PM
    So that should not be chargeable, since it's upstream from the master socket. You'd have to persuade the OR engineer that it was badly installed. If you want the master moved and it's not required to remedy this defect, then it's chargeable.
    For FTTC install there should be no need for an engineer install: or home visit you plug in the router yourself , OR connect you at the street cab. They will only attend the property if there is an issue and they need to check at your master socket.
    Last edited by macman; 13-08-2018 at 4:31 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

7Posts Today

3,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin