Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • David Birmingham
    • By David Birmingham 12th Aug 18, 8:52 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    David Birmingham
    Parking ticket reeived but the location on the ticket is incorrect
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:52 PM
    Parking ticket reeived but the location on the ticket is incorrect 12th Aug 18 at 8:52 PM
    My car recently received a penalty charge notice. The penalty charge stated the location as "Civic Close, off Cambridge Street, Birmingham, B1 2NN. This is a small street which is part of a larger council housing estate. In fact I was not parked on this street so I appealed to UKPC to say that I have never parked there. The car was parked nearby to Civic Close, but on another road that did have some UKPC parking signs. I appealed against the charge and UKPC have rejected my appeal so far and claimed!...

"Thank you for your recent correspondence in relation to the above Parking Charge. In order to make a final decision regarding your appeal, please can you provide the driver full name and address to our Appeals Department within 14 days of the date of this letter. (<<<my comment: Ha ha!! >>>)
    Please note: Pursuant to the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 section 7(2)(a), we understand that it is necessary to specify “the relevant land” on which it was parked. The act does not require us to identify the road or even the city that a parking charge is issued. We must identify the relevant land. In that pursuit, the description that we have provided identifies the area of land that we are permitted to issue charges on. Included in this area of land is the area the vehicle was parked. The term related to Civic Close is a reference used by our clients to refer to the“relevant land” that UKPC issue charges on. As a consequence we do not accept that this charge is non compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act."

This all seems dubious to me because in other threads people are saying that they must give the correct address. I wasn't parked on Civic Close (which is in fact a distinct road on an estate and which has the postcode B1 2NN). I can't see how they can say say that their client can make up a name to describe an area which in fact includes 2 distinct roads. The area is local authority housing, which I think counts as private land?!
    I don't really understand the concept of "relevant land" ?

Please can someone give me advice about what to say in an appeal to POPLA? Is the location error sufficient on it’s own to dismiss the charge, or do I need to add in all the other things that may not be compliant, like asking for the contract between them and the landowner. Any helpful ideas will be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • onlyfoolsandparking
    • By onlyfoolsandparking 12th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    onlyfoolsandparking
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    I,m no expert on this but i don't think "location error" would stand up in appeal, i could be wrong of course, better to stick to not naming driver EVER!!! and jump on the NEWBIES section, plenty of great templates there to use in reply
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 38,012 Posts
    • 22,109 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    With a POPLA appeal throw everything at it - only one point is needed to win!

(If you only appeal on one point - (eg this admin error) it will be a quick rejection)

See #3 in the newbies FAQ thread for advice on constructing a POPLA appeal

Put the draft up here for comment before sending it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,476Posts Today

6,850Users online

Martin's Twitter