Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yllop1101
    • By yllop1101 12th Aug 18, 8:30 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 74Thanks
    yllop1101
    New house, what are our options?
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:30 PM
    New house, what are our options? 12th Aug 18 at 8:30 PM
    We have seen a new home we love, and having not previously been looking to move, we're a bit behind in that our house has now only been on the market a few days, although we've had a few viewers and more to come.

We have had an offer accepted, however the developers will only hold the house for a week, aka, we have to sell ours within a week. I'm wondering, if we don't sell within a week, what could we propose to the developers to help convince them to hold the house for us?

We are confident our flat will sell, we're in a very popular city in a popular development, we just need more than a week! Could we offer them some cash as a deposit, or is this too risky? Any ideas welcome!
Page 1
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 12th Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    TamsinC
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    there will always be another house/flat
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 12th Aug 18, 9:41 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:41 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:41 PM
    It depends how strong the hand of the developer is, after the week if you have not had any offer you could say you have more viewings and ask for another week...

If the developer agrees chances are they are more desperate than they appear.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    • 25,555 Posts
    • 69,374 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    It depends how strong the hand of the developer is, after the week if you have not had any offer you could say you have more viewings and ask for another week...

If the developer agrees chances are they are more desperate than they appear.
    Originally posted by buggy_boy
    What would be the point? Keeping the property open to the market and as many people as possible gives the highest chance of a successful sale. Developers know exactly what they're doing, there's no benefit to 'reserving' it for an non-proceedable prospect.

OP just needs to get their place sold.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • yllop1101
    • By yllop1101 12th Aug 18, 10:04 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    yllop1101
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:04 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:04 PM
    The remaining plots have been on sale a good few months and they're struggling to shift them, however they've done a recent push with a show home event so not sure if that's yielded any more buyers.
    Our property is listed with an online estate agent and is on rightmove, zoopla etc, as well as gumtree. Any other places we could put it to capture attention?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 25,555 Posts
    • 69,374 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    You meed to make the price attractive if you're desperate. It's going to be easily visible on rightmove, it's just about how good it looks.

There's always another house though.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • cookhood
    • By cookhood 13th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cookhood
    • 13th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    You can also go for paid ads and newspaper ads locally.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 25,824 Posts
    • 94,113 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    Our property is listed with an online estate agent and is on rightmove, zoopla etc, as well as gumtree. Any other places we could put it to capture attention?
    Originally posted by yllop1101
    People often seem to think their property will somehow be 'missed,' but if it's already on the major portals, the only thing that matters is whether it looks good value for the money.

That gets punters through the door, but unless it is noticeably better value than comparables when viewed, it won't necessarily shift any faster than they will.
    I might be old, but I got to see all the good bands...
    • Jane_B
    • By Jane_B 13th Aug 18, 10:20 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Jane_B
    • 13th Aug 18, 10:20 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 10:20 AM
    It will depend on how desperate the developer is, in our area the big home builders will not let you reserve until you have Sold subject to completion, which helps avoid issues such as these. Has the builder you have gone with offer a part exchange scheme?
    • M2808
    • By M2808 13th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    M2808
    Have heard of some developers selling your house for you like part exchange way. Not sure how it works but know that TW have done that before
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

2,386Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin