Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Silver66
    • By Silver66 12th Aug 18, 7:22 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Silver66
    Choosing a personal pension provider: what to look for?
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:22 PM
    Choosing a personal pension provider: what to look for? 12th Aug 18 at 7:22 PM
    Hello,

I'm self-employed, and choosing a personal pension provider. I've posted on this topic before, and want to thank everyone who's posted replies and helped me so far.

Can anyone suggest factors to keep in mind when choosing between the many providers out there? It seems difficult to know where to start. Lower annual charges don't seem to necessarily mean that the pension fund will perform better. I'm an inexperienced investor, so would want the provider to help me choose funds to invest in. I'm a cautious but balanced investor: I don't like risk, but want the fund to grow, and I'm 35 currently so will have three decades to hopefully ride out occasional falls.

I imagine that the choice of which shares to invest in is a more important factor in how well a pension will perform, than the choice of provider, but how do I recognise a good provider? I'm a bit daunted by all the choice out there, and am considering looking for a financial adviser to help me make a decision, but want to try and get as far as I can on my own first, so that I'm better informed.

Thanks very much for reading. Any tips or pointers appreciated.
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 12th Aug 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:27 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:27 PM
    The provider won't help you 'choose' the funds - they aren't allowed to - but if you choose a stakeholder pension, that will have a 'default' option if you don't want to pick your own.

Useful reading:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/pensions/starting-a-pension/choosing-a-personal-pension/
    and
    https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/saving-into-a-pension/choosing-investment-funds/making-no-choice
    • Silver66
    • By Silver66 12th Aug 18, 9:44 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Silver66
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:44 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:44 PM
    Thanks very much, Brynsam - those are some useful links.
    • Silver66
    • By Silver66 13th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Silver66
    • 13th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    I'm going to look through some of the pension providers. There are such a lot of them out there, and this could get very time-consuming. Does anyone know of any websites that list the highest-rated ones, or any other way I have of narrowing down the choice a little? I guess that going with the bigger-name companies might offer some measure of security?

I'm considering speaking to a financial adviser after I've spent a while looking at the different providers. It just seems a bit daunting trying to choose one myself, and it's such an important decision.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 13th Aug 18, 12:11 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 8,173 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 13th Aug 18, 12:11 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 12:11 PM
    make sure it is an Independent Financial Advisor
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 13th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 13th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    Try https://www.money.co.uk/pensions.htm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

1,413Users online

Martin's Twitter