Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 12th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 3,809Posts
    • 1,837Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Getting a .ltd domain and hosting email with Google
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    Getting a .ltd domain and hosting email with Google 12th Aug 18 at 7:15 PM
    Hi, only familiar with google mail. Setting up a .ltd email but google don't seem to sell .ltd domains. If I buy the domain from another (e.g. godddy) is it easy to then host email with Google? Thanks.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Page 1
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 12th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    If you buy a domain from another host they will also be able to provide you with an email address @ that domain.
    I use 123-reg for my hosting.
    If you want to use your @ that domain email address in google mail you will need to pay to be a g suite member which is around 3.50 / month.
    You could also get do daddy or whoever to forward your @ that domain email address to your personal google mail address but then if you reply if will come from your personal @ gmail.com address.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 12th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 3,127 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    That's a good answer - but I would ask the OP why they would want their emails to come from gmail rather than from their own domain?

Email from your domain would look more professional!
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 12th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    .ltd domains are pointless for a genuine business, you need a .co.uk
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 12th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    • 3,469 Posts
    • 2,190 Thanks
    S0litaire
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    You can set up gmail to use your @*.ltd address so you can send emails it's not perfect but the domain does not need to be held by google.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en-GB&authuser=1

The recipient see's in the "From:" line:
    From: yourname@gmail.com on behalf of othername@otherdomain.com

It's not perfect but possible.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 13th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 13th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    I would ask the OP why they would want their emails to come from gmail rather than from their own domain?

Email from your domain would look more professional!
    Originally posted by John Gray
    .ltd domains are pointless for a genuine business, you need a .co.uk
    Originally posted by Debbie Savard
    Thanks for help (and sorry for my late reply). I would like to use Google as (email) hoster because I've had no problems with their free hosting (e.g. great spam filter); it looks like I can get a "co.uk" domain from Google and use that with "G Suite" for 3.50 per month. I am checking what "G Suite" gives me now...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

276Posts Today

1,712Users online

Martin's Twitter