Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jsfoster
    • By jsfoster 12th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jsfoster
    NatWest Mortgage Anxieties
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    NatWest Mortgage Anxieties 12th Aug 18 at 6:49 PM
    Hi,

There is nothing anyone can do but Iím going to post because it will make me feel less anxious rather than reading loads of stories on here.

In a real short time we found a property we really liked close to my wifeís family and we put our current house on the market, our house sold and there was some gazumping, we sold for £176k which was £6k more than asking which leaves us £57k equity.

The property we want to buy we negotiated £232,500 but itís worth more than that it just needs work doing.

Weíve used a broker who has put us with NatWest with our lending ceiling being £199k.

We have applied for £197,500 and hope to have £20k for costs and works.

We do have debts, loans and credit cards, all cards on 0% and we declared all of these.

My issue is that my last 3 months bank statements arenít great, we werenít selling. Weíve spent quite a bit on home improvements £600 in one month and on average £300 a month on take aways or eating out.

I do tend to go around £600 into my £1500 agreed overdraft which is my concern.

Iím terrified (I donít know why because it isnít the end of the world) that the application will be declined based on account conduct.

We got an AIP and then two days later the broker advised we passed initial underwriting.

Itíll be 5 working days I think before we hear about the Ďfurther informationí they will review.

The good news is weíve massively reviewed our finances to change things cancelling off £60 of gym membership etc but this isnít going to look good for a further 3 months.

Interested to know peoples thoughts....
Page 1
    • jsfoster
    • By jsfoster 12th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jsfoster
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    Also, I should say I could close my £1500 overdraft on Wednesday, if I did this would it make a difference?

Based on the voluntary commitments next month we will have £140 per month extra - aside from not eating stupid takeaways.

Our Mortgage would be 84.9% LTV.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 12th Aug 18, 7:35 PM
    • 17,667 Posts
    • 9,461 Thanks
    ACG
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:35 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:35 PM
    If you have got to this stage, you should be fine. If affordability is tight and they decide to add in the overdraft then you may find the loan amount gets reduced but I am sure you will be ok.

I wouldnt worry about clearing the overdraft if you prefer not to. If the underwriters need it clearing they will tell you.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • jsfoster
    • By jsfoster 12th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jsfoster
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    Thanks for the reassurance. I like to operate my finances so that every bill is paid on my pay day so I would never miss a payment.

I!!!8217;m not constantly in my O/D.

Affordability was tight but based on the figures they!!!8217;d lend £199k so we opted for £197,500.

If they reduced the amount it wouldn!!!8217;t be the end of the world as we can afford more deposit.
    • Flossasaurusrex
    • By Flossasaurusrex 12th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Flossasaurusrex
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    I think you'll be fine.

We unexpectedly found a house we wanted earlier than planned, and went for a NatWest mortgage. Had lots of expenses on holidays and social stuff and nothing came of it! Also have credit card and other half in overdraft, with 10% deposit. We got our formal mortgage offer last week

I found NatWest were really quick at getting back to us. Hope you have same experience
    • jsfoster
    • By jsfoster 12th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jsfoster
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

We are currently with the Nottingham Building Society and we do have Early Repayment Charges but they can't even speak to me about application until the end of next week which is just too long to wait regarding porting, also from my calculations their rate will cancel out the charges.

I was tempted to keep the appointment with them though incase NatWest doesn't get accepted.

Thanks for the reassurance though, I'm hoping it will all be good!

At the moment they are processing 'further information' received on 8 August (according to their intermediary site) they won't get my further info until L&C get it tomorrow if L&C process the same day so I'm expecting to hear by Thursday???
    • jsfoster
    • By jsfoster 26th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jsfoster
    • 26th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    • 26th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    Good news! Mortgage all approved subject to valuation! It was declined due to NatWest having flags on my account history with them for absolutely no reason so these were removed and it was all approved.

Quick question, if we are borrowing £197,500 but Mortgage Advisor did affordability of £199,000 could we easily at this stage increase to that £199,000? We went down to the £197,500 because of LTV but actually our product is 90% LTV anyway!

Would this be a whole new application or a simple amendment following NatWest looking at the ceiling amount they may lend us?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

433Posts Today

4,799Users online

Martin's Twitter