Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marialionza
    • By marialionza 12th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 6,262Posts
    • 72,555Thanks
    marialionza
    Is it legal/ fair ?
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    Is it legal/ fair ? 12th Aug 18 at 6:26 PM
    I thought it was illegal to ask disabled people for their "disability number"
    I was on a queue at a box office and a person on crutches was asking for disability prices, the staff asked for the "number". The man showed his crutches and the staff said.."right ..that's a crutch, It doesn't prove anything, do you have your number?"
    The disabled person said:" no...I have my bus pass" and he had to show it.
    As far as my knowledge goes they are not supposed to ask for any of the sort.
    I thought it cruel and totally out of order.
    I'm actually thinking of writing a complaint to the management of the venue.
    Any lights on the subject.
    I'm epileptic but have never had an experience of the sort, quite the opposite...whenever I try to show my documentation I've been stopped and told not necessary.
    If you have any extra ideas and legal advise about it I would love you to share them below.
    Thanks in advance.
    THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPS HERE
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    If there is a concession for disabled then the supplier is entitled to ask for proof.

Somebody on a crutch could just have a broken ankle. It doesn't indicate that they fall within the criteria for a concession.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 12th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    _shel
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    Disability number! She's living in the past or their policy is old. Disabled people haven't been registered and given a number for many years. It's generally accepted that DLA/PIP award is proof though. They're entitled to ask for proof.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 17,371 Posts
    • 43,781 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    If it's something like the CEA cinema card for people with disabilities to have a carer go in free, that needs to be shown in the same way as a concessionary bus pass. Why should you not have to demonstrate eligibility?

There are people who take the proverbial. That's why the criteria for the disabled front of queue wristband got tightened up at Alton Towers. Too many people who may have had a disability but were perfectly capable of queuing up with everyone else using it just to queue jump.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • marialionza
    • By marialionza 12th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 72,555 Thanks
    marialionza
    Disability number! She's living in the past or their policy is old. Disabled people haven't been registered and given a number for many years. It's generally accepted that DLA/PIP award is proof though. They're entitled to ask for proof.
    Originally posted by _shel
    Even when the gentleman was on crutches?
    • marialionza
    • By marialionza 12th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 72,555 Thanks
    marialionza
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    If it's something like the CEA cinema card for people with disabilities to have a carer go in free, that needs to be shown in the same way as a concessionary bus pass. Why should you not have to demonstrate eligibility?

There are people who take the proverbial. That's why the criteria for the disabled front of queue wristband got tightened up at Alton Towers. Too many people who may have had a disability but were perfectly capable of queuing up with everyone else using it just to queue jump.
    Originally posted by elsien
    To be able to queue is not the point here
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 17,371 Posts
    • 43,781 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    At the risk of sounding cynical, anyone can borrow a crutch if they want a freebie.
    And needing a crutch for a couple of weeks if you've sprained something doesn't make you disabled.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• elsien
    • By elsien 12th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 17,371 Posts
    • 43,781 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    To be able to queue is not the point here
    Originally posted by marialionza
    No, the point is that some people try to get things to which they are not entitled. And venues who offer concessions are entitled to check that those getting the concession meet the criteria.

• jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 25,215 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    I have a disability rail travel card - I had to provide confirmation of benefit to get this and it still cost me 20.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 12th Aug 18, 6:52 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 61,150 Thanks
    hdh74
    I don't have a disability number but I keep a copy of my pip award on hard for any concessions. Often asked to show it and no I don't mind. What I do mind is not getting reduced parking at hospitals.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 12th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 10,086 Posts
    • 8,305 Thanks
    prowla
    I think it is acceptable to ask a person for their credentials when they are asking for the relevant discount.

There shouldn't be any stigma attached to it, nor any offence taken.
    • marialionza
    • By marialionza 12th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 72,555 Thanks
    marialionza
    Thanks you've been smashing. I just felt really sorry for the man, he was limping really badly and trying not to show pain.
    I just felt some sort of association ...had it happen to me or any of my people I would have flipped.
    • BizKiTRoAcH
    • By BizKiTRoAcH 12th Aug 18, 9:59 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 21,552 Thanks
    BizKiTRoAcH
    My brother tore a ligiment in both of his ankles playing football a few months back. He was on crutches for 2 weeks. He's not disabled, just a bit of an idiot. He didn't try to claim for any kind of disability discount on anything but a lot of people would. Being on crutches is not a sign of a disability so I don't think they were out of order for asking.
    • Freelikeabird
    • By Freelikeabird 13th Aug 18, 11:51 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    Freelikeabird
    Thanks you've been smashing. I just felt really sorry for the man, he was limping really badly and trying not to show pain.
    I just felt some sort of association ...had it happen to me or any of my people I would have flipped.
    Originally posted by marialionza

The other thing to bear in mind is that the member of staff who asked is an innocent party too (obviously will depend on the way they ask, if they are being rude that's a different matter) - they may have been told by HQ that they need to ask everyone who wants that discount for proof, whether they feel comfortable doing that or not. This may be checked by random 'mystery shops' where if they don't ask they could be subject to a 'chat' or even disciplinary action if it is continued. I only add this as someone who worked in retail many moons ago - we had a lot of things we had to ask/say during every transaction.
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 13th Aug 18, 1:16 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 184,384 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    I'm disabled and if I was going somewhere where I wanted a concession, I would show a photo of my blue badge. I think we would all be annoyed if for example we went to a theme park and someone was allowed to queue jump because they had a pair of crutches with them and then we saw them ditch the crutches and get to the front of all the queues.

• Daphne01
    • By Daphne01 13th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    • 19,233 Posts
    • 1,078,573 Thanks
    Daphne01
    I was registered as disabled with the council in the mid 80's (It was for a job with them)
    I had to be medically retired and I'm still on the register and received an updated plastic card a few years ago, so yes there is still a disabled persons registration card with a number

Maybe it's just some councils that provide it?
    A strong man stands up for himself, a stronger man stands up for others.

• pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 13th Aug 18, 3:12 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    I don't have a disability number but I keep a copy of my pip award on hard for any concessions. Often asked to show it and no I don't mind. What I do mind is not getting reduced parking at hospitals.
    Originally posted by hdh74
    Not wishing to be rude, but why should you get reduced parking? You get access to the most convenient spaces, because you may (depending on the disability) struggle to walk from further away. But there's no reason you should pay less than anyone else - few people really have a choice whether to park or not.
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 13th Aug 18, 3:26 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 61,150 Thanks
    hdh74
    Not wishing to be rude, but why should you get reduced parking? You get access to the most convenient spaces, because you may (depending on the disability) struggle to walk from further away. But there's no reason you should pay less than anyone else - few people really have a choice whether to park or not.
    Originally posted by pumpkin89
    Many disabled people need to visit hospital far far more often than the average person, and unlike a more able-bodied person are unable to avail themselves of off-site parking which is often free. And are probably unable to use public transport, most able-bodied people do have the choice. I know disabled people who can struggle to make hospital appointments because they cannot afford to go. This seems a way more important issue to me than getting a few quid of at the cinema, welcomed by many as that may be.
    • grannybiker
    • By grannybiker 13th Aug 18, 7:10 PM
    • 10,871 Posts
    • 1,031,500 Thanks
    grannybiker
    Originally posted by pumpkin89
    Many disabled people, (Not all,) are unable to work, or if they do, it's reduced hours, so the financial strains are very real. I'm sure many people have been in clinics that over-run, risking penalty charges.
    There are many medical conditions that need frequent visits to hospital, for tests or treatment. If this is done on an outpatient basis, it's saving the NHS loads and freeing up beds . Concessionary parking would be a drop in the ocean of the coffers. Which brings me to a major gripe... The NHS handing over parking to private firms to charge what they like with no benefit to the hospital or patients .

Many disabled people need to visit hospital far far more often than the average person, and unlike a more able-bodied person are unable to avail themselves of off-site parking which is often free. And are probably unable to use public transport, most able-bodied people do have the choice. I know disabled people who can struggle to make hospital appointments because they cannot afford to go. This seems a way more important issue to me than getting a few quid of at the cinema, welcomed by many as that may be.
    Originally posted by hdh74

^^^A great explanation.
    Worse things will have happened in the world today...
    "The only thing that really matters, it to love and to be loved."
    • Ktkoozal
    • By Ktkoozal 13th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 29,202 Thanks
    Ktkoozal
    I am disabled, and I am not able to queue up for a long time for things because I cannot stand for very long. I have NEVER been asked for a Disability Number - never heard of it. If I want to watch a show/go to a concert I HAVE to be in my wheelchair, sticks or crutches doesn't seem to be enough evidence for them. They will only discount the ticket once they have proof of entitlement of Higher Mobility Component of DLA in the form of the award letter. I am quite happy that they do that because people do take the mickey. I'm not so happy that I HAVE to be in my wheelchair in order to qualify though, it is the most uncomfortable thing in the world!

As regards to parking, paying for disabled parking at hospitals does annoy me, however, I am eligible for hospital patient transport (thank goodness!) and I am always up in London at St Thomas's, Guy's and King's because I have several serious conditions which need close monitoring.

My main bugbear is when people park in disabled bays without blue badges, very annoying. Those who complain that disabled people always get the best and free parking, please, come and swap a day in my life and experience all of the pain and difficulties I live with every second of every day and then think about how 'unfair' disabled parking is.
    Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water
    After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,275Posts Today

6,701Users online

Martin's Twitter