Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torncurtain
    • By torncurtain 12th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 0Thanks
    torncurtain
    Is there a 'best' time of year to buy a used car?
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    Is there a 'best' time of year to buy a used car? 12th Aug 18 at 4:40 PM
    Just like with most things, there's usually a best time of year to catch some savings. Is there a best time of year to buy a used car? Such as maybe in the run-up to Christmas or in the New Year? People might want to sell their cars to fund holidays or because they've been gifted a new one.

Figured I'd ask, and maybe someone might know.
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 12th Aug 18, 4:47 PM
    • 11,459 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:47 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:47 PM
    Just like with most things, there's usually a best time of year to catch some savings. Is there a best time of year to buy a used car? Such as maybe in the run-up to Christmas or in the New Year? People might want to sell their cars to fund holidays or because they've been gifted a new one.

Figured I'd ask, and maybe someone might know.
    Originally posted by torncurtain
    People aren't often selling their cars because they are desperate for the money.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 9,454 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    At one time it was when the new registrations came out as dealers had a glut of trade ins.
    • torncurtain
    • By torncurtain 12th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    torncurtain
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:52 PM
    Really? I know of a few people who sold their vehicles for money. This was a few years back, I guess things have changed.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 12th Aug 18, 6:13 PM
    • 8,074 Posts
    • 7,393 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:13 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:13 PM
    It depends on the age and style of car. Nearly new values drop slightly with plate and model changes. Convertibles and sports cars dip after summer, 4x4's dip after winter.

Older car prices tend to be a bit more stable.

It's likely the desperate car seller will take it to a car buying place for same day cash.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 12th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    • 11,459 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    Really? I know of a few people who sold their vehicles for money. This was a few years back, I guess things have changed.
    Originally posted by torncurtain
    Everybody sells their car for money, all the cars I have sold were simply because I was getting a newer and different model car, I'd guess that's the case for the majority of private sellers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin