Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • User0251287
    • By User0251287 12th Aug 18, 4:29 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 6Thanks
    User0251287
    Requesting a default to improve credit rating
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:29 PM
    Requesting a default to improve credit rating 12th Aug 18 at 4:29 PM
    Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice on defaults and credit reports. In Q3 2012 I had run up unsecured debts of around £20k ( aged 23!). I entered into a DMP with Stepchange/CCCS and managed to repay the debts within 4 years due to most of my creditors kindly freezing interest and charges! All my debts are now settled Several of my creditors defaulted me after missing a few payments and these defaulted debts have now dropped off my report . Three of my creditiors (RBS, Barclaycard and Newday) did not default me and my question relates to whether I can ask them to retrospectively add a default date in order for the debts and payment history to disappear off my credit report?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by User0251287; 13-08-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Page 2
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Oct 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    To my knowledge, an AP doesn't mean a default must be registered.

As already stated above, if OP stopped paying before reaching an AP agreement, or indeed went onto an AP and THEN stopped paying, then a default can be registered.

But as an AP was listed and payments were made, I see no rhyme or reason to default the account.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 11th Oct 18, 11:46 AM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    It is all about the guidance. See the post linked below:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72059053&postcount=4
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Oct 18, 12:06 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Guidance. Not a given.

A lender isn't obliged to do it if they don't want to.

I'm not sure how people think they can get away with this - you were on an AP so it's a true representation.

Why should the account be defaulted to look better for you when you know you made the mistakes?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 11th Oct 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    I'm not sure how people think they can get away with this - you were on an AP so it's a true representation.

Why should the account be defaulted to look better for you when you know you made the mistakes?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Why if someone else had not paid a penny toward the debt should they be rewarded with having a default marked on their file? The default drops off the file quicker than an AP which means you are rewarded for no paying. This is where the fairness guidance comes in to play. The creditor must have a good reason to NOT follow the guidance, otherwise the OP is NOT being treated fairly.

Bottom line - I like to see people being treated fairly.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• User0251287
    • By User0251287 11th Oct 18, 12:40 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    User0251287
    Ditto
    Ditto to that. Itís all about fair treatment and I feel I have been unfairly treated and Iím requesting resolution to that
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Oct 18, 12:48 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I would go into a "if you can't do the time..." rant, but no doubt someone will come back with some witty remark to turn that around as well.

I hate this current culture where people want something for nothing and all to be forgiven
    • Emmagee23
    • By Emmagee23 11th Oct 18, 1:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emmagee23
    Is a paid default better than an unpaid
    Hello,
    Please excuse me if I am in the wrong area, I have just joined and finding my feet.
    My question is, I have an account with a default dating from April 2015. If this is paid does it improve my credit rating or will it be the same if I continue making monthly payment.
    Many Thanks
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Oct 18, 1:14 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Hello,
    Please excuse me if I am in the wrong area, I have just joined and finding my feet.
    My question is, I have an account with a default dating from April 2015. If this is paid does it improve my credit rating or will it be the same if I continue making monthly payment.
    Many Thanks
    Originally posted by Emmagee23
    You should start your own thread ideally.

A paid debt looks better than one still being paid off to lenders.

Ignore the made up scores and ratings
    • Emmagee23
    • By Emmagee23 11th Oct 18, 1:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emmagee23
    Thankyou for replying to me.
    How do I start a new thread?
    • User0251287
    • By User0251287 12th Oct 18, 5:33 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    User0251287
    I would go into a "if you can't do the time..." rant, but no doubt someone will come back with some witty remark to turn that around as well.

I hate this current culture where people want something for nothing and all to be forgiven
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Just donít understand your posts at all. Almost troll like. These massive financial institutions have wreaked havoc on the lives of ordinary consumers for decades - PPI to name the biggest. Why on earth are you against me cleaning up my credit history and moving on with my life? Martin Lewis gives extensive support to those who in financial difficulty whereas youíve passed judgement without knowing my specific circumstances. Not really in the true spirit of money saving expert or this forum.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th Oct 18, 5:38 PM
    • 16,327 Posts
    • 23,198 Thanks
    antrobus
    Just donít understand your posts at all. Almost troll like. These massive financial institutions have wreaked havoc on the lives of ordinary consumers for decades - PPI to name the biggest. Why on earth are you against me cleaning up my credit history and moving on with my life? Martin Lewis gives extensive support to those who in financial difficulty whereas youíve passed judgement without knowing my specific circumstances. Not really in the true spirit of money saving expert or this forum.
    Originally posted by User0251287
    I don't understand your post at all.

This is an open forum - anyone can post.

Anyone can pass judgement. Your specific circumstances are unknown unless you disclose them.
    • User0251287
    • By User0251287 12th Oct 18, 5:41 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    User0251287
    Anyways moving on from the above and to give and update to those interested or to anyone who may stumble across this post in future in dire need of help in crawling there way out of financial difficulty.

RBS have given me quite the gift this morning! In response to my letter of complaint they have agreed to remove the account from the credit referencing agencies and in light of my claim to unfair treatment enclosed a cheque of £250! I did not expect this at all but really adds weight to those in this position. Financial institutions are agreeing what happened here is unfair and I sincerely hope that anybody affected by this continues to challenge it! I intend to make newday away of the decision made by Barclaycard and RBS in the hope this will overturn there decision without any further escalation! Will keep this up to date. The support I’ve had from old threads has been invaluable! Thank you to those that have helped and not hindered
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 12th Oct 18, 5:54 PM
    • 13,098 Posts
    • 10,162 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Anyways moving on from the above and to give and update to those interested or to anyone who may stumble across this post in future in dire need of help in crawling there way out of financial difficulty.

RBS have given me quite the gift this morning! In response to my letter of complaint they have agreed to remove the account from the credit referencing agencies and in light of my claim to unfair treatment enclosed a cheque of £250! I did not expect this at all but really adds weight to those in this position. Financial institutions are agreeing what happened here is unfair and I sincerely hope that anybody affected by this continues to challenge it! I intend to make newday away of the decision made by Barclaycard and RBS in the hope this will overturn there decision without any further escalation! Will keep this up to date. The support Iíve had from old threads has been invaluable! Thank you to those that have helped and not hindered
    Originally posted by User0251287
    Well done - two down, one to go
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,152Posts Today

8,623Users online

Martin's Twitter