Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cidfenmaria
    • By cidfenmaria 12th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 1Thanks
    cidfenmaria
    0 WOW
    euro car hire - car scratched by others and not my fault
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    0 WOW
    euro car hire - car scratched by others and not my fault 12th Aug 18 at 3:19 PM
    Hi,

My car's door was scratched by a car parked beside when the that car's door opened. I found this when I came out from a shop and the car beside has gone.

Am I usually responsible for this scratch? This is outrageous

I have rang the customer services and they said I have to talk to the branch which is closed now

would anyone has similar experience? I return it tomorrow any way should I then tell them this when returning? Or should I call the customer service again and log an accident?

Thanks
Page 1
    • slinga
    • By slinga 12th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    slinga
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    Some rentals have a minimum size of about 40mm.
    If the damage falls within 40mm then they won't charge you.
    Or so they say.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Aug 18, 3:53 PM
    • 17,767 Posts
    • 45,077 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:53 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:53 PM
    I had this with Enterprise this week. Because the scratch was shallow enough to be polished out I wasn't charged.
    They probably need to see and assess it before they can say either way.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • cidfenmaria
    • By cidfenmaria 12th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cidfenmaria
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    It's a line around 1 X 50cm in length and quite shallow, someone suggest to use a touch up pen. I am hesitating as it's not my fault
    Last edited by cidfenmaria; 12-08-2018 at 4:13 PM.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 17,767 Posts
    • 45,077 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    I thought about that, but I decided if they spotted it it would look worse that I'd not reported it so I decided to be honest. Worked for me, may not with other hire companies. It was less than 50cm though.

What does your contract say about damage liability? Even if you didn't make the scratch it was still damaged while in your care. Did you take out any extra insurance to cover the possibility?
    Last edited by elsien; 12-08-2018 at 4:18 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• z1a
    • By z1a 12th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    z1a
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    It's a line around 1 X 50cm in length and quite shallow, someone suggest to use a touch up pen. I am hesitating as it's not my fault
    Originally posted by cidfenmaria
    A half metre scratch! That's a fair old "Scratch".
    • harz99
    • By harz99 12th Aug 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    harz99
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:28 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:28 PM
    Hi,

My car's door was scratched by a car parked beside when the that car's door opened. I found this when I came out from a shop and the car beside has gone.

Am I usually responsible for this scratch? This is outrageous

I have rang the customer services and they said I have to talk to the branch which is closed now

would anyone has similar experience? I return it tomorrow any way should I then tell them this when returning? Or should I call the customer service again and log an accident?

Thanks

If that really is CM rather than MM, and the "scratch" is nearly one foot 8 inches long that sounds more like the sort of crease you get when one car door is flung or banged against another, and will certainly need repair.

Like others I hope you took out any damage waivers and excess waivers you were offered otherwise this scratch may become expensive for you.

Sorry.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    • 21,689 Posts
    • 17,565 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    I am hesitating as it's not my fault

It may not be your fault but it is your responsibility as you had the car in your care at the time. Unless you can find the person who caused the damage and recover the cost from them then it'll be you that has to pay it, which is why you take out insurance.
    • cidfenmaria
    • By cidfenmaria 12th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cidfenmaria
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    f that really is CM rather than MM, and the "scratch" is nearly one foot 8 inches long that sounds more like the sort of crease you get when one car door is flung or banged against another, and will certainly need repair.

=================
    no it's not like that as the dent is not noticable. The line is very straight and there is a small dent at one end which you won't notice unless you come close enough. But you will see the line easily. I had a look at it again and start to doubt whether it's from door of other car.

What is CM/MM btw.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    • 17,767 Posts
    • 45,077 Thanks
    elsien
    Centimetres and millimetres.

• cubegame
    • By cubegame 12th Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    cubegame
    The chance of you doing a decent job with a touch up pen that won't be noticed is near zero.

Maybe one of the coloured wax products could work?

Why didn't you take out appropriate insurance?
    • cidfenmaria
    • By cidfenmaria 12th Aug 18, 6:39 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cidfenmaria
    Would there be insurance to cover this kind of scratch and chip. I didn't take extra insurance on top of the current one...
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 12th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    cubegame
    Would there be insurance to cover this kind of scratch and chip. I didn't take extra insurance on top of the current one...
    You may be fully covered. It depends on the level of excess. Any insurance will cover this sort of damage. The excess level is the important bit.

If is a good idea when hiring cars to purchase extra insurance to reduce the excess to zero. You can do this with the hirer (very expensive), the agent (expensive) or a 3rd party (best value).

Ultimately car hire is a bit if a scam. Headline rates are kept low as they will be able to extract money from a certain percentage of customers.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Aug 18, 7:15 AM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 2,150 Thanks
    eDicky
    would anyone has similar experience?
    It's not uncommon. But circumstances vary widely and as you have not mentioned the hire firm, the location, or what kind of insurance cover and excess is applicable there is not really a chance of guessing the outcome in a meaningful way.

Cubegame has summarised the situation well, above. In any case, there is no reason or advantage to report it in advance or on return of the car, they will find the damage if they want to.

You should get an invoice before leaving for presentation to your separate excess cover (if you have it) if they note the damage and charge you, or it can be obtained later.

The damage could be completely ignored, or the whole excess charged, or something in between - we cannot guess your circumstances.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 13th Aug 18, 6:14 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Centimetres and millimetres.
    That was going through my head as well - it's unfortunate that many people use cms (centimetres) which is not an SI unit of metric measurement, only metres and millimetres.

Perhaps the 50cms quoted is really 50mm ? That's 2 imches in "old" sizes !!!

If the damage is 500mm (0.5M) then it is a repair job.

Hopefully covered by insurance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,458Posts Today

8,495Users online

Martin's Twitter