Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 12th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 275Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    door curtains
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    door curtains 12th Aug 18 at 1:35 PM
    I have a large double door in my conservatory and am planning to hang curtains in front of it during the winter season as they are quite drafty.

The question I am asking is which is the best type of heading for curtain - eyelets or header tape?
    Thanks in advance.

x
Page 1
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 12th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 3,951 Posts
    • 6,254 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    Pinch pleats - grouped in 3 (there's a proper name for this style but I'm not sure what it is) - mean that the curtains take up very little room when pulled apart, as they sort of concertina together.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    • 24,974 Posts
    • 100,302 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    Pleats will keep out more drafts, but will mean the curtains will end up more expensive - and you have to be sure you don't have a heavyhanded person in the house, or you will be forever putting an end of one curtain back up into the tracks.

As the OH regularly yanks eyelet curtain poles off the walls and burns/breaks everything, there's no way I'm risking having to go up steps every evening with posher ones.

....and with that, I'm going to put my earphones in, as he's cooking dinner and the smoke alarm has gone off again, as it does every time he makes food with fire.

I'm going online and buying a steamer.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 26,332 Posts
    • 56,110 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    Pleats will keep out more drafts, but will mean the curtains will end up more expensive
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    This is where a measuring tape, some preparation, and tenacity in chazzer-searching has its rewards.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 13th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 13th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    I agree about looking in charity shops and similar. I have used old blankets to interline curtains, and once found a couple of cheap 'sofa throws' that made up into nice curtains.
    • natlie
    • By natlie 14th Aug 18, 9:52 AM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 5,052 Thanks
    natlie
    • 14th Aug 18, 9:52 AM
    • 14th Aug 18, 9:52 AM
    I bought a 5 curtain and a 2 pressure fit shower rail to do our front door its brilliant and does make a massive difference. My curtain has a fold over top which the pole fits through it looks neat but it doesn't move along the rail, we have to hold it back with tie backs - fortunately we don't get many visitors so its mostly closed
    27328 26,728 26,668
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 14th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    • 14th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    • 14th Aug 18, 10:11 AM
    Thank you all!

Door won't be used much as we have a door into the garden in the kitchen too go hopefully they'll stay up!

Th door currently has verticle blinds which I am taking down - with permission from the landlord - and I have found some curtain rails that fit over the fixings.. I am hoping this will work.

The town where I live is very short on charity shops but I shall be keeping my eyes peeled over the net few weeks while on holiday and on days out

Thanks again
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 14th Aug 18, 10:25 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    • 14th Aug 18, 10:25 AM
    • 14th Aug 18, 10:25 AM
    eBay might be worth looking at, it might not be cheaper than something you'd buy in somewhere like wilkinsons, but there's often some really good quality thicker ones.
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 27th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    • 27th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    • 27th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    Found some freebies on Freecycle! My lovely mum has taken them up for me as they were very long.
    Was even more please when I coilleccted them as she had lined them for me as well!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

3,356Users online

Martin's Twitter