Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cameron1590
    • By Cameron1590 12th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Cameron1590
    Slow puncture saga
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    Slow puncture saga 12th Aug 18 at 1:33 PM
    Hi All,

My rear drivers side tyre kept triggering the tyre pressure warning system.

I checked the tyre and it had a small nail in it. Went to a good Indy garage and for £12ish they repaired it. Fast forward a few days, TPS triggers saying tyres flat.

I went and got some air it was 25psi not 34, I assumed the garage may have not put enough air in them. Fast forward a couple of days and itís down to 15psi, I have just topped it up and put some soapy water on the value, the repair area and the outside rim, no bubbling.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    Hi All,

My rear drivers side tyre kept triggering the tyre pressure warning system.

I checked the tyre and it had a small nail in it. Went to a good Indy garage and for £12ish they repaired it. Fast forward a few days, TPS triggers saying tyres flat.

I went and got some air it was 25psi not 34, I assumed the garage may have not put enough air in them. Fast forward a couple of days and itís down to 15psi, I have just topped it up and put some soapy water on the value, the repair area and the outside rim, no bubbling.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Cameron1590
    They didn't repair the puncture.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 12th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 2,658 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    Poor repair, or there's another nail they missed (been there too)
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 12th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 7,674 Posts
    • 6,422 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    I have just topped it up and put some soapy water on the value, the repair area and the outside rim, no bubbling.
    Checked the inside rim? Corroded alloys?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 12th Aug 18, 6:09 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    owen_money
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:09 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:09 PM
    As above, check the rim then put a new tyre on, dont be a cheap skate. Why risk your life on a repaired tyre? You cant take the £50 you saved with you..............................
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 12th Aug 18, 10:37 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 1,679 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:37 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:37 PM
    Checked the inside rim? Corroded alloys?
    Originally posted by Norman Castle

Exactly the reason mine was leaking, always assumed it was a nail.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 13th Aug 18, 7:03 AM
    • 13,631 Posts
    • 8,641 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 13th Aug 18, 7:03 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 7:03 AM
    As above, check the rim then put a new tyre on, dont be a cheap skate. Why risk your life on a repaired tyre? You cant take the £50 you saved with you..............................
    Originally posted by owen_money
    Nothing dangerous about a repaired tyre.
    In fact how many deaths do you think are even caused by one
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th Aug 18, 7:34 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    owen_money
    • 16th Aug 18, 7:34 PM
    • 16th Aug 18, 7:34 PM
    Nothing dangerous about a repaired tyre.
    In fact how many deaths do you think are even caused by one
    Originally posted by arcon5
    in the UK last year 47. Just put a new tyre on, dont risk yours or others lives
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 16th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 16th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 16th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    in the UK last year 47. Just put a new tyre on, dont risk yours or others lives
    Originally posted by owen_money

Where do you get that figure from relating to repaired tyres? I can't even see tyre repair being a cause in the statistics:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tyre-related-deaths-and-injuries-preventable-say-highways-england-and-bridgestone
    • Brummie85
    • By Brummie85 16th Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Brummie85
    As already mentioned, if your wheel is corroded or damaged, it may not seal correctly and could cause a leak.

It could also be that you are unfortunate and have a 2nd leak spot on the tyre, that is either new or wasn't repaired with the nail hole that you spotted.

I'd go back to the garage and politely ask them to investigate for you. Or if you can do without the car for a weekend, take th wheel off yourself and give it a more thorough looking at. A good indy will do this, a bad one will get the hump and believe you are accusing them of poor work straight away.

Tyre repairs are a funny subject. They can be done, there is a standard for it and many people have their tyres repaired. But on a personal level, I don't know anyone that carries it out. I have no way of judging the quality of the repair and therefore I'd only have a wheel repaired and put back on as a desperate and short term measure.The next morning I'd be of looking for a new tyre.

Part worns are a similar beast. I've had to get two new front tyres for my car over the weekend and also went to an Indy. They offered me OEM quality part worns for less then 1/2 the price of the new tyres I chose. But there isn't enough money off or promises of quality that could reassure me enough about a used tyre. But the things that connect you to the road as well as brakes really aren't areas you should scrimp too hard at.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 17th Aug 18, 12:16 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    debtdebt
    Only 47 deaths? I like those odds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,172Posts Today

7,605Users online

Martin's Twitter