Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deFoix
    • By deFoix 12th Aug 18, 1:13 PM
    • 185Posts
    • 109Thanks
    deFoix
    Legal Definition of "First Floor" etc.
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:13 PM
    Legal Definition of "First Floor" etc. 12th Aug 18 at 1:13 PM
    Hi, looking for a bit of consensus here It seems my Freehold Title is messed up as it says:

Flat A [No description]
    Flat B First Floor Flat
    Flat C First Floor Flat
    Flat D Part of First Floor and Second Floor Flat

In fact, Flat B and Flat C are on different levels. I think the confusion arises because Flat B is on what I would call the Ground Floor (at street level). Flat A is what I would call Lower Ground (or even Garden Floor) as its below street level at the font but has back doors that open out to the garden at the back.

Does this even matter? Having said that my solicitor (who isnt dealing with the Freehold) insisted that my lease was changed to reflect the fact that Flat D was "[Part of First] and Second Floor" as it included its own front door and stairs from the first floor even though the main living area is on the second floor.

Thanks
    Last edited by deFoix; 12-08-2018 at 1:18 PM.
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 12th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 6,738 Posts
    • 6,614 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    There isn't really a legal definition of 'First Floor'.

If the leases are clear about the extent of each flat, there is no real need to change them.

If there is some ambiguity about the extent of each flat, the freeholder and relevant leaseholder could mutually agree to change them - having agreed who will pay the legal fees.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Aug 18, 7:17 PM
    • 44,963 Posts
    • 53,575 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:17 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:17 PM
    It doesn't really matter unless or until it starts causing confusion eg to

* the postman
    * utility suppliers
    * the leaseholders themselves (or freeholder)
    etc
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th Aug 18, 12:38 AM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 13th Aug 18, 12:38 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 12:38 AM
    Its the attached lease plan which matters more than the description.
    • still_ill_83
    • By still_ill_83 13th Aug 18, 3:36 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    still_ill_83
    • 13th Aug 18, 3:36 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 3:36 PM
    Agree with Tom above. The wording doesn't matter a jot. It's all about the extent shown on the lease plan, although it would obviously be helpful if the Land Registry title was updated to reflect the true situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

337Posts Today

4,275Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin