Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whambam
    • By whambam 12th Aug 18, 1:10 PM
    • 305Posts
    • 34Thanks
    whambam
    Housing Benefit 4 Joint Tennants
    • #1
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:10 PM
    Housing Benefit 4 Joint Tennants 12th Aug 18 at 1:10 PM
    Hello,

    Usually a couple have a property as single or joint tenants, however I understand you can have upto 4 tenants at a property.

    With housing benefit with a couple each one has to apply a separate application and I guess with 4 tenants as well.

    So, say 3 tenants get 100% housing benefit and 1 tennant works part time or income is varied how does that work out?
Page 1
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 12th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Nannytone
    • #2
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    Hello,

    Usually a couple have a property as single or joint tenants, however I understand you can have upto 4 tenants at a property.

    With housing benefit with a couple each one has to apply a separate application and I guess with 4 tenants as well.

    So, say 3 tenants get 100% housing benefit and 1 tennant works part time or income is varied how does that work out?
    Originally posted by whambam
    A couple would claim as a couple and not as to single applicants. If every individual has a separate tenancy agreement they would claim for the loan portion of expenses
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 12th Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    calcotti
    • #3
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    Any housing benefit claim is limited to the portion of the rent the claimant is liable for. If you are a joint tenant with 3 others your share is 25% and a claim for housing benefit would be limited to a maximum of 25% of the total rent. If you are in a couple and on a tenancy with 2 others you would have to claim housing benefit as a couple and your housing benefit would be restricted to a maximum of 50% of the total. It doesn't matter whether the other tenants are working or not, or how much they are earning.

    Depending on the amounts your housing benefit may be further restricted by the Local Housing Allowance (assuming this is a private rental).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

333Posts Today

1,967Users online

Martin's Twitter