Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theGrinch
    • By theGrinch 12th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 2,910Posts
    • 697Thanks
    theGrinch
    Dell OptiPlex 7010SFF Desktop Computer
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    Dell OptiPlex 7010SFF Desktop Computer 12th Aug 18 at 1:09 PM
    I am looking to purchase a refurbed one. It comes with a Wifi Adapter.

Is this a question of turning on and it will pick up my wifi network much like a laptop or phone will?
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
Page 1
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 12th Aug 18, 1:18 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    BigAl94
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:18 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:18 PM
    Yes it should.
    • that
    • By that 12th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    that
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:17 PM
    Be aware of that onboard wifi as it may not be complete

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/Optiplex-7010-wireless-parts/td-p/4518583
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 3,160 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    SFF will have a 3rd party/after market WiFi card taking up one of the slots. It's not an internal device like on the USFF that your link points to.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 12th Aug 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 3,303 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:48 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:48 PM
    This Dell SFF has an Ethernet port at rear, which would give you Gigabit Ethernet at 1Gbps, much faster than WiFi. Can you connect an Ethernet cable to your router from the Dell?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 12th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 3,127 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    I am looking to purchase a refurbed one. It comes with a Wifi Adapter.
    Originally posted by theGrinch
    If you're getting this PC from MicroDream you may find that their supplied USB WiFi adapter is, ahem, 'not very good'. Better ones are available from the usual sources (e.g. Broadband Buyer, or even Amazon).

An ethernet cable connection is almost always less trouble and more reliable, and will be faster than WiFi - as Robisere says.
    I would use WiFi only if I didn't have the cable option.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Aug 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:00 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:00 PM
    I got one from it-zone-1 on eBay. The WiFi adapter is still in its box as I had a better one. Beware they tend to come with a DVD player, not a writer. An external drive is only 12 or so.

Mine was an i7 with 128GB SSD and 16GB of ram, it is a very speedy machine and had a bios update in mid July.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th Aug 18, 9:26 PM
    • 3,160 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:26 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:26 PM
    Optiplex tend to have only dvd readers because they are primarily business machines and most businesses didn't want you writing your own CDs.
    • theGrinch
    • By theGrinch 13th Aug 18, 7:43 AM
    • 2,910 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    theGrinch
    • 13th Aug 18, 7:43 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 7:43 AM
    I got one from it-zone-1 on eBay. The WiFi adapter is still in its box as I had a better one. Beware they tend to come with a DVD player, not a writer. An external drive is only 12 or so.

Mine was an i7 with 128GB SSD and 16GB of ram, it is a very speedy machine and had a bios update in mid July.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Thats the one I am looking at from the same supplier.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    To answer your original question, yes it works just the same as a laptop/phone/tablet in terms of pickup of a WiFi signal. As others said, they are refurbished business machines which normally do not use WiFi.

There are dual Display Port video sockets on mine, you might need a DP monitor lead if you haven't already got one. I use a pair of monitors as many business users often do. Mine is just used as a home PC though.

These are minor points considering the speed of these machines. The Dell Support Assistant software is good, it will run checks on config and will semi automatically update the bios too. When I ran a Spectre and Meltdown malware utility check, it passed both... not many PCs do.

I think they are good machines, some will say they are old, but it's very fast and suits me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

240Posts Today

1,583Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin