Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amyanne
    • By amyanne 12th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 18Thanks
    amyanne
    New Connection
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    New Connection 12th Aug 18 at 12:19 PM
    Hi everyone. Is there a connection charge for utilities when you move to a new house please. TIA.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    • 3,172 Posts
    • 2,092 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    No this will have been paid by the developer. What you must do is ask the developer who the supply is with and then you ring them to get the account in your name. Then switch suppliers to get on a better tariff.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Aug 18, 12:56 PM
    • 8,651 Posts
    • 9,874 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:56 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:56 PM
    There shouldn't be for gas/electricity/water/sewerage as they will be paid by the developer as the services have to be present and tested before the building standards completion certificate can be issued.

You are likely to have connection charges for phone/broadband/cable, depending on which provider you sign up with. There may also be a delay in getting a connection, and limitation on who you can sign up with, depending on what arrangements the developer has made with BT Openreach and others.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • amyanne
    • By amyanne 12th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    amyanne
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    Sorry, I should have worded my query better. When I said "new house" I meant "new to me", not a new build. Thanks for replies though.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 12th Aug 18, 1:06 PM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 1,412 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:06 PM
    Sorry, I should have worded my query better. When I said "new house" I meant "new to me", not a new build. Thanks for replies though.
    Originally posted by amyanne

Same applies. Though with less chance of mess up of the gas and electric accounts.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Aug 18, 1:06 PM
    • 3,172 Posts
    • 2,092 Thanks
    Robin9

My post still applies - replace the word developer by previous occupier.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 12th Aug 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 66,471 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:11 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:11 PM
    When you move in, read all meters - gas, electricity, water - and find out who the current suppliers are (from the previous occupier?).

Ring each supplier and tell them you are now responsible for the bills from X date (when you moved in) give them the meter readings and ask that they set you up with an account.

Once you have the account you are then free to choose whichever supplier you like.

With water, you have no choice, you are stuck with whoever supplies water to the area in which the property is situated and cannot change supplier.

EDIT - if electric and/or gas is on a prepay key meter, don't use the key left by the previous occupier as you may be paying towards any debt left by them on the account. You must contact the supplier and get your own key(s).
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 13th Aug 18, 9:59 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    • 13th Aug 18, 9:59 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 9:59 AM
    Hi everyone. Is there a connection charge for utilities when you move to a new house please. TIA.
    If you accepted the property without the utilities involved connected, then I'm afraid there will be a charge for connection.

If the property has all the utilities connected, there is no charge for change of account holder.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

460Posts Today

6,048Users online

Martin's Twitter