Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 12th Aug 18, 9:54 AM
    • 581Posts
    • 111Thanks
    justaquestion
    Can Esa (CB) trigger UC?
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:54 AM
    Can Esa (CB) trigger UC? 12th Aug 18 at 9:54 AM
    Hi folks,

I am on ESA (CB) and going through the assessment process again, ESA50 sent away.

I am in support group.

If I was placed in wrag this time, I understand contribution based ESA only lasts for a year, 365 days
    However if my condition got worse after the year is up, would it trigger an Universal credit application first to get the money for ESA reinstated.

I am not entitled to Universal Credit.

Thanks for any clarrification.
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Aug 18, 10:04 AM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 3,770 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:04 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:04 AM
    If you were placed into the WRAG your 365 days would include the time spent on ESA before being placed in the Support Group. If it was 365 days then you won't be entitled to anymore money, only NI credits.

You would need to ask for the MR then Tribunal if needed and wait for the decision. If it got to Tribunal you can go back onto ESA but will only be paid your NI credits.

If placed into the Support Group then your money will restart and you'll be backdated everything the owe you.

There would be no point starting a claim for UC because you're not entitled to it.
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 12th Aug 18, 10:56 AM
    • 581 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    justaquestion
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:56 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:56 AM
    Thanks for reply Poppy, I'm a little confussed.

I have been on ESA (CB 5 years) and prior to that IB (CB) for a long time, and was migrated over from IB about five years ago, initially I was placed in wrag (paper review only) but I did an MR at that time, and then was placed in support group where I have been ever since. I was only a few weeks at that time in wrag, before support grooup decision came tthrough.

I have had a f2f three years ago so in support group until now.

So grateful for any clarrification on this,

1 So if placed in wrag group now (its a continuous claim for ESA Cb) Will I still get paid ESA until the 365 days are up? as I have said I have been on ESA for a long time, and was only in wrag under ESA for a month at most, prior to that as I have said i was on IB.

2 If still in ESA wrag after MR or an appeal, after my 365 days are up, and my condition was to get worse can I then ask to be reassessed to be put into support group and if they agree, does this trigger a Universal credit application so as to be put back into support group?

Hope I'm a little clearer in what I am asking this time.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by justaquestion; 12-08-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 12th Aug 18, 11:56 AM
    • 956 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:56 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:56 AM
    I have been on ESA (CB 5 years) and prior to that IB (CB) for a long time, and was migrated over from IB about five years ago, initially I was placed in wrag (paper review only) but I did an MR at that time, and then was placed in support group where I have been ever since. I was only a few weeks at that time in wrag, before support grooup decision came through.
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    If the decision to put you in the Support Group followed an MR immediately after the transfer from IB then that decision should have been backdated which means that you would have been in Support Group throughout your time on ESA. You will then still have an entitlement to contribution based ESA in the WRAG for 365 days.

If still in ESA wrag after MR or an appeal, after my 365 days are up, and my condition was to get worse can I then ask to be reassessed to be put into support group and if they agree, does this trigger a Universal credit application so as to be put back into support group?
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    When you get to the end of 365 days in WRAG your contribution based ESA would end. You will then either get income based ESA or your ESA will end. I infer that because you have said you are not entitled to UC you either having savings or other income, if that is the case you probably will not qualify for income based ESA.

If your ESA claim has ended and your condition gets worse later I think you will not be able to apply for the old type of ESA again if you live in a full service UC area. You may be able to claim 'new style' ESA (which is contribution based only). If you claim within 12 weeks of your old ESA claim ending the periods of illness will be linked and, if put in the support group, I think you could get an award. If the gap is more than 12 weeks the claim will be treated as a completely new claim and given that you haven't worked for a long time I think you will be unable to meet the qualifying conditions in respect of National Insurance to get a new ESA award.
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 12th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 581 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    justaquestion
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    Thank you very much.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

903Posts Today

6,030Users online

Martin's Twitter