Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • popcorn9
    • By popcorn9 12th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    popcorn9
    0 WOW
    Speedy boarding on Easy jet
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    0 WOW
    Speedy boarding on Easy jet 12th Aug 18 at 9:32 AM
    We have travelled on Easy Jet several times this year from Tel Aviv to Luton. We paid for up front seats which includes speedy boarding. The only speedy boarding we got was that we boarded the coach to the plane first but when we arrived at the plane everyone on the coach both SP and not SB ran and we were nearly the last on the plane, resulting in no room for our hand luggage above our priority seat. I have complained to Easy jet (I sent and e mail to the MD). Reply from his PA was that speedy boarding is included in price for priority seat, not a separate payment. Inferred that it is a freebee thrown in. I don't agree. If I didn't get the seat I paid for I would complain. To me, this is the same. It is clear that Easyjet have not explained what speedy boarding is to the ground staff at Tel Aviv. They think they are doing it right by boarding us onto the coach first. Any ideas as to how to progress this. I just want to get the Speedy Boarding I booked.
Page 1
    • Westin
    • By Westin 12th Aug 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 1,171 Thanks
    Westin
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:40 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:40 AM
    You would presumably be on the first coach to take passengers to the remote stand. Whilst the driver should perhaps allow SB passengers off first by way of opening one door of the coach first, it may not always happen.

Easyjet do say on their website that if a coach boarded flight they can not guarantee SB passengers will be first to board.

You are flying on a low cost airline. I am not sure what you really are after from your complaint to the CEO about this issue.

I think in future you will just need to be quicker on your toes when you get off that first coach - or pay a lot lot more and fly with El Al.
    • popcorn9
    • By popcorn9 12th Aug 18, 9:44 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    popcorn9
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:44 AM
    Easy jet speedy boarding
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:44 AM
    Thanks. I have looked over the whole website and can't find anything that they don't guarantee SB and the MD's PA did not even say that.
    With all their price increases they are not so cheap as they used to be. I may have to march with my feet and try another airline.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 5,473 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    Thanks. I have looked over the whole website and can't find anything that they don't guarantee SB and the MD's PA did not even say that.
    With all their price increases they are not so cheap as they used to be. I may have to march with my feet and try another airline.
    Originally posted by popcorn9
    you mean you choose EasyJet over cheaper similar alternatives?
    • popcorn9
    • By popcorn9 12th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    popcorn9
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    Yes. The timings are good and up until the last year they have been very good. Now the prices are going up. Unless I book as soon as the flights come out, they are no longer cheaper. So why pay for a service I am not getting?
    I want the Speedy Boarding but don't know how to move forward to make them provide the service they clearly advertise. Telling me I cannot buy it separately from the up front seat is not an answer. They clearly advertise it, they should provide it.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 12th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    • 6,156 Posts
    • 8,851 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    Popcorn's problem aside, I think easyJet are pretty damn good. We use them regularly, and can't remember any problems worth mentioning.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 12th Aug 18, 11:18 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    boliston
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:18 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:18 AM
    i had the coach system at berlin airport and it just mean sb went on the first bus - i'm not sure how many busloads fill a plane but the plane still seemed quite empty after one coachload of people - if there is no bag space directly above your seat there is probably a space nearby - i tend to put my bag in front of my own row if possible so i can keep an eye on it
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    To be first off the bus, stand by the door, usually left side.

I always make a point of being the last to board, but with a bag small enough to go under seat (not possible in front row or exit row).
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 12th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 3,329 Thanks
    barbarawright
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    I'm curious - what is the advantage of speedy boarding?
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 13,203 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Originally posted by barbarawright
    You get to sit down and stow your hand luggage first, although by the OP and my wife's experience a couple of weeks ago with another budget airline, it doesn't always happen.
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 19,935 Posts
    • 46,144 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Overhead locker space above your seat, that's about it.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 38,270 Posts
    • 160,900 Thanks
    silvercar
    The only speedy boarding we got was that we boarded the coach to the plane first but when we arrived at the plane everyone on the coach both SP and not SB ran and we were nearly the last on the plane, resulting in no room for our hand luggage above our priority seat.
    Given that not everyone will be on the first coach, you couldn't have been the last on the plane, you may be one of the last of the first coach, but there would have been other coaches behind yours.
    There must also be a limit on the number of speedy boarding passengers, I can't believe all the non SB passengers boarded before you.

As a particular tip on that route, TLV to LHR on BA would be 30-40 plus Avios if you collect. Cheaper than LHR to TLV which has a higher departure tax.

Also Easyjet offer flights to Tel Aviv from Gatwick; that may or may not experience the same issue depending if all stands are remote and if the proportion of SB is the same, but the flights are often cheaper than from Luton.
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 112,539 Thanks
    maman
    I have a friend who pays for Speedy Boarding.

I travelled with her to and from Dalaman back in June.

SB get to check in early but as we arrived at Gatwick in plenty of time that didn't prove an advantage as there wasn't a queue. I checked in just as quickly. She was on the plane before me (just).

Returning from Dalaman, the biggest advantage was that she could bypass the huge queue for check in.

However, at the departure gate, Speedy Boarding didn't seem to exist so she had to queue up with everyone else which took an age.

She told me that the prices seem to have gone up considerably (I think that was for the seats in the front few rows and Speedy Boarding) so maybe she'll not bother next time.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 12th Aug 18, 5:30 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    Lorian
    The re-prioritisation of Easyjet boarding due to a shuffle of passengers on the bus happens at plenty of airports.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 12th Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    katejo
    I have a friend who pays for Speedy Boarding.

I travelled with her to and from Dalaman back in June.

SB get to check in early but as we arrived at Gatwick in plenty of time that didn't prove an advantage as there wasn't a queue. I checked in just as quickly. She was on the plane before me (just).

Returning from Dalaman, the biggest advantage was that she could bypass the huge queue for check in.

However, at the departure gate, Speedy Boarding didn't seem to exist so she had to queue up with everyone else which took an age.

She told me that the prices seem to have gone up considerably (I think that was for the seats in the front few rows and Speedy Boarding) so maybe she'll not bother next time.
    Originally posted by maman
    You say that SB got to check in first. Didn't you check in and get your boarding passes before travel? I have never bothered with SB and this is particularly after reading someone's else's experience similar to that of the OP here. My hand luggage is always limited to a small daysac which fits under the seat in front so I don't have the risk of no space in the overhead storage. I have another Easyjet flight pretty soon and I am doing it the same way.
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 18,847 Posts
    • 112,539 Thanks
    maman
    You say that SB got to check in first. Didn't you check in and get your boarding passes before travel? I have never bothered with SB and this is particularly after reading someone's else's experience similar to that of the OP here. My hand luggage is always limited to a small daysac which fits under the seat in front so I don't have the risk of no space in the overhead storage. I have another Easyjet flight pretty soon and I am doing it the same way.
    Originally posted by katejo

Like you, I never bother. We generally book the seats in the first row behind the most expensive ones (Row 7?). I only have 'large' hand luggage when I'm going for a city break without hold luggage.

Of course, you're right that we do have our boarding cards at the ready for self check in. I think my friend has just done it as a habit from the days when SB went to a separate desk without a queue. These days this no longer applies at Gatwick but it does in other airports such as Dalaman. She always sits in the front few rows though so maybe SB is included like OP suggests.

Interestingly we flew back from Dalaman the day before the new terminal was due to open in July. I wonder whether they have self check in or SB at the new terminal?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Aug 18, 12:41 PM
    • 33,120 Posts
    • 20,859 Thanks
    DCFC79

You pay to be 1 of the first on the plane, I don't see much point myself and see it as a waste of money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

395Posts Today

2,404Users online

Martin's Twitter