Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fred990
    • By fred990 11th Aug 18, 10:41 PM
    • 94Posts
    • 34Thanks
    fred990
    Car enthusiasts, are they oddballs?
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:41 PM
    Car enthusiasts, are they oddballs? 11th Aug 18 at 10:41 PM
    Been reading this forum for a few months and made the occasional post which was flamed by the resident motoring know-it-alls who post at 0243! Got accused of making stuff up by 'motorboy/nerd/buddy' whatever his name is but the absolute best hilarious read thread has just been closed!
    'Rip off' garages had Donald Trump, Brexit, Muslims and more!
    Godwin's law or what?
    So, are car obsessives a bit weird/odd?
    Discuss...... nothing to do with cyclists or speed cameras please.
Page 1
    • Syman
    • By Syman 12th Aug 18, 7:24 AM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 6,184 Thanks
    Syman
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:24 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:24 AM
    I think any one that has an "obsession" for a particular thing will be classed as an oddball by those that do not share/understand their enthusiasm. (Think train spotters)
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2018 reading Challenge total :- 60/48
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 12th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    • 958 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:19 AM
    Maybe it's those who post on internet forums who are oddballs?

Not me tho I'm totally normal, just ask my polar bear.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 3,978 Posts
    • 3,024 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    As for the posting at 0243, not everyone works days.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 12th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    There are people who see vehicles as an A - Z item.

There are people who see vehicles as a hobby and look to tinker/fix them themselves rather than paying someone.

There are people who get deeper into their hobby, modify their car, chat with like minded people, meet up, go to shows.

Same with many things in life. It is easy for the first person not to understand the second/third person and vice versa.

Now, change it from vehicles to food, or gardening or pretty much anything else and there will always be people who see it as one thing, others that get more involved and others that turn it into a big hobby.

Is it really anyones concern? Wouldn't life be so boring if we all shared only one hobby/interest....
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 12th Aug 18, 11:32 AM
    • 3,209 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:32 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:32 AM
    As for the posting at 0243, not everyone works days.
    Originally posted by Tarambor

The number of those who post on here regularly would mean amending that to not everyone works!
    I they are at work and posting then their jobs must not be very demanding and/or their employers must be very understanding.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    Are any motor enthusiasts into cycling?
    don't count your chickens before they're hatched
    • prowla
    • By prowla 12th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    • 10,121 Posts
    • 8,358 Thanks
    prowla
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:14 PM
    Been reading this forum for a few months and made the occasional post which was flamed by the resident motoring know-it-alls who post at 0243! Got accused of making stuff up by 'motorboy/nerd/buddy' whatever his name is but the absolute best hilarious read thread has just been closed!
    Godwin's law or what?
    Originally posted by fred990
    I think speed cameras should be calibrated to catch cyclists going too slow.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    • 18,028 Posts
    • 11,039 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    Godwin's law or what?
    Originally posted by fred990
    For the avoidance of doubt
    • I didnt "accuse" you of making stuff up i said i suspected you put your own skewed slant on it to make your point (which lets be honest you're doing again)
    • I dont recall personally ever posting at 02:43.
    • Some people who post on here work nights.
    • Some people who post on here work in other countries / timezones.
    • If some people do post at that time its their prerogative, irrespective of the reason.

And relative to car enthusiasts.
    • Some are obsessed with cars, some arent.
    • Some like new shiny cars, some like older cars, some like classics.
    • Some are nerds, some arent.

Personally, i comment on threads where i think i can help (hence the 10,000+ thanks) - its usually on cars, computers, technology consumer rights, holidays, employment, finance - and on threads where people are frankly wrong, being obtuse or deliberately contentious.

The latter group being what you usually do (and are doing now)
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 18,028 Posts
    • 11,039 Thanks
    motorguy
    There are people who see vehicles as an A - Z item.

There are people who see vehicles as a hobby and look to tinker/fix them themselves rather than paying someone.

There are people who get deeper into their hobby, modify their car, chat with like minded people, meet up, go to shows.

Same with many things in life. It is easy for the first person not to understand the second/third person and vice versa.

Now, change it from vehicles to food, or gardening or pretty much anything else and there will always be people who see it as one thing, others that get more involved and others that turn it into a big hobby.

Is it really anyones concern? Wouldn't life be so boring if we all shared only one hobby/interest....
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    +1

I wholly agree with that. Some people just want something to get them from A to B as cheaply as possible. Thats their prerogative. I dont mind that. I dont view them as "wrong"

Its bemusing though when you've people like the O/P who believe if you dont have their particular view then you are wrong and must be weird or an oddball.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 18,028 Posts
    • 11,039 Thanks
    motorguy
    The number of those who post on here regularly would mean amending that to not everyone works!
    I they are at work and posting then their jobs must not be very demanding and/or their employers must be very understanding.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    Speaking personally, i do work, i'm not in a particularly stressful job (in fact not at all stressful), i'm paid for what i know, not what i do (ie, i'm not paid to produce 100 spriggots an hour on a production line or whatever), and the work comes in peaks and troughs so at times i can kick back and other times i'm busy.

I've reached the fortunate position in life whereby i dont have to kill myself to earn a living but am very well paid for what i do.
    Last edited by motorguy; 12-08-2018 at 1:42 PM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 18,028 Posts
    • 11,039 Thanks
    motorguy
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Are you a forum member on Pistonheads? Quite a few cycling enthusiasts over there
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Aug 18, 2:20 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Are you a forum member on Pistonheads? Quite a few cycling enthusiasts over there
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Really maybe they'll gravitate towards this thread. I know they're not a fan of speed cameras.
    don't count your chickens before they're hatched
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 12th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 6,217 Posts
    • 3,791 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Car enthusiasts disliking a device that penalises them for breaking the law, who'd have thought?!
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 18,028 Posts
    • 11,039 Thanks
    motorguy
    Car enthusiasts disliking a device that penalises them for breaking the law, who'd have thought?!
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    ?

I seem to be missing something here?

I personally have never protested on a forum or otherwise about speed cameras - and i dont think any motoring enthusiast on here or over on PH expects to be above the law?

I think they are often used for money making rather than safety but i'm not, as a motoring enthusiast expecting to be able to break the law just because i like cars.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 12th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 3,306 Thanks
    Robisere
    My interest in cars, especially classic cars, comes from many years of building, rebuilding, maintaining and repairing Classics of all types, as a workshop foreman. Long retired now at 73, but a life spent in such work has caused me to look for Classic Shows and visit, to enjoy the sight of old classics being cared for by enthusiasts.

If that makes me "weird or odd" in your estimation, then accept that there are many millions of us in the UK and abroad, so perhaps you may be just a little weird, odd and out of step yourself.

Why view the simple, harmless pleasures of another group of people, through the jaundiced eyes of your own prejudices?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Aug 18, 7:45 PM
    • 18,028 Posts
    • 11,039 Thanks
    motorguy
    My interest in cars, especially classic cars, comes from many years of building, rebuilding, maintaining and repairing Classics of all types, as a workshop foreman. Long retired now at 73, but a life spent in such work has caused me to look for Classic Shows and visit, to enjoy the sight of old classics being cared for by enthusiasts.

If that makes me "weird or odd" in your estimation, then accept that there are many millions of us in the UK and abroad, so perhaps you may be just a little weird, odd and out of step yourself.

Why view the simple, harmless pleasures of another group of people, through the jaundiced eyes of your own prejudices?
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Theres a simple answer really, he likes to throw in little contentious hand grenades in to this forum, designed to spark a reaction.

They usually are either based on a polarised opinion to support his own life choices or age old (and sometimes sexist) stereotypes.

Whilst he witters on about resident motoring know-it-alls posting, the "big three" of contentious self justifying views are him, fred246 and westernpromise who all seem to have chips on their shoulders about people driving newer / nicer cars than them.

Isnt it funny that whilst they all preach on how well reconciled their life choices are they clearly have issues with what other people do and drive?

Sad really.
    Last edited by motorguy; 12-08-2018 at 8:04 PM.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 12th Aug 18, 9:20 PM
    • 2,522 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    I am, just back from a trip to the Nurburgring which unfortunately I can't do on a regular basis so cycling fills in the gaps, the thrill of hammering a bike on a fast trail is similar to driving on the track. Just hopefully a lot less expensive when I crash.

John
    • ginashamz
    • By ginashamz 13th Aug 18, 12:08 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    ginashamz
    I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast but I do own an "enthusiast" car with a unique engine. I also had a BMW M2 before it was regrettably written off. Not sure if its a physiological thing but I just feel more comfortable driving cars that have feedback with the road and ones that are more predictable around corners. I once had a lease car a Hyundai I20 and it was dreadful . The steering was incredibly numb and I felt no connection with the road or what direction the tyres were facing.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Aug 18, 6:57 AM
    • 18,028 Posts
    • 11,039 Thanks
    motorguy
    I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast but I do own an "enthusiast" car with a unique engine. I also had a BMW M2 before it was regrettably written off. Not sure if its a physiological thing but I just feel more comfortable driving cars that have feedback with the road and ones that are more predictable around corners. I once had a lease car a Hyundai I20 and it was dreadful . The steering was incredibly numb and I felt no connection with the road or what direction the tyres were facing.
    Originally posted by ginashamz
    I take it you've a replacement M2 coming as your car was brand new and thus would only be a month or two old?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,495Posts Today

6,910Users online

Martin's Twitter