Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LauJay
    • By LauJay 11th Aug 18, 10:39 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 291Thanks
    LauJay
    HMRC Debt - Pastdue company - Please Help
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:39 PM
    HMRC Debt - Pastdue company - Please Help 11th Aug 18 at 10:39 PM
    Hello,

I would really appreciate if anybody has any information regarding my current situation.

Today i received a letter with my partner's surname stating that it was 'Important, Do Not Ignore'. I rang my partner and he asked me to open it (he was at work and concerned). I opened the letter but it stated it was for someone else (it had Miss and a different first letter of the first name but my partner's surname).
    The letter stated that money was owned to HMRC and had been passed to Pastdue for collection.

I soon realised the initial was the same as my partner's mum's who does not live with us. This confused me as why would we receive a letter for his mum at our home? Especially a debt collection letter?

Now my initial thought was that she had done this to try and hide from the debt. I spoke to her and she stated that she did know about the money owed but had not given our address. She informed my partner that they must have found the address through my partner as he is registered at this address and used to be registered at hers? She stated that HMRC had told her this?

I was wondering if anybody had any info into whether this could be true? As im pretty sure they wouldn't be able to trace her son and send a letter for her to our address? Im really confused?

I would really appreciate any help or information!
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Aug 18, 8:18 AM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:18 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:18 AM
    It is quite likely that could happen if he was registered at her address in the past. You can ignore the letter as it isn't for you but his mum needs to stop sticking her head in the sand and start to deal with this and you are right to ask awkward questions.
    • pennystretcher
    • By pennystretcher 12th Aug 18, 8:45 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    pennystretcher
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:45 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:45 AM
    I would inform HMRC that she doesn't live at your address and also get the electoral roll updated. Send by registered post and keep receipts for those letters. She should do the same for her address - I mean let HMRC and electoral roll updated with her current address. Get it corrected now, before you start having issues with debt collectors turning up behind your door....
    Last edited by pennystretcher; 12-08-2018 at 8:54 AM.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 12th Aug 18, 10:52 AM
    • 1,854 Posts
    • 1,826 Thanks
    datlex
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:52 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:52 AM
    Of course, your partner could ring the HMRC there are numbers on the government website. They are actually quite helpful.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 12th Aug 18, 12:35 PM
    • 13,125 Posts
    • 10,180 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:35 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:35 PM
    Past Due are a pretty useless debt collection agency - they won't be attending. And as it's not your debt (and not your partner's) you have nothing to fear should HMRC choose to escalate this.

As far as your involvement goes (and your partner's), just mark 'not known at this address' and send it back.

You are likely to get regular letters with increasing threats for a few months as they work through their standard letters and do not update their records.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

879Posts Today

6,154Users online

Martin's Twitter