Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redrose1414
    • By redrose1414 11th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    • 436Posts
    • 5,460Thanks
    redrose1414
    Landlord selling the house
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:13 PM
    Landlord selling the house 11th Aug 18 at 9:13 PM
    My landlord is selling the house I live in.
    I work as a nurse full time but claim housing benefit towards my rent.
    I have a son of school age and a daughter who goes to uni and only lives at home in the holidays and odd weekends.
    I am an undischarged bankrupt without a penny to my name, I frequently miss one or two bill payments a month but have never missed a rent payment in 19 years of renting.
    I know the chances of finding a house to rent is very slim and I do not have a guarantor.
    The council have told me I cannot be placed on the housing register and I should present to them the day my tenancy ends but what do I do with my pets? I can!!!8217;t walk into the council offices with my animals, it wouldn!!!8217;t be allowed.
    What do I do with my belongings? I would obviously need to keep beds and things for my future property but what do I do with it all the day I become homeless?
    I have heard they can place me anywhere in the county in a B&B but are animals allowed and what if it isn!!!8217;t within walking distance of my sons school? I wouldn!!!8217;t be able to get to work for 07:00 and get him to school for 08:30?
    Any advice appreciated as I!!!8217;m a bit scared.
    Last edited by redrose1414; 12-08-2018 at 9:08 AM.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
Page 1
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 11th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 6,184 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    Does your landlord want you to vacate or is he selling it with you as a sitting tenant?
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Aug 18, 10:35 PM
    • 3,461 Posts
    • 9,280 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:35 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:35 PM
    Have you had any contact with the Cavell Nurse's Trust? They may be able to help with a grant which could go towards a deposit for another private rental perhaps, or even kennelling costs for the animals for a few days.

https://www.cavellnursestrust.org/grants
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 12th Aug 18, 12:36 AM
    • 5,664 Posts
    • 7,961 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:36 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:36 AM
    I am sorry this is happening to you. Its very tough. It happened to me as well.

I am afraid the council have no responsibility for a dog or cat. They won't be housed in temporary accommodation unless you are placed in a house etc. I found a friend who would take my dog temporarily until I could take him back, which I was able to do as I have two sons with autism and was able to argue (and produce proof/medical evidence that being placed in single room accommodation would harm them) so I was placed in a ground floor maisonette and gained permission to have my dog there. This is unusual though.

Council's will gatekeep and make being placed in emergency accommodation sound as bad as possible.. they did it to me, but due to a lack of social housing it is now the norm for it to be as described. I was lucky my council were unusual. However, I was told all the bad stuff and it made the process incredibly stressful. Find out what your council's actual policy is with the homeless. If you have a job you can argue successfully that you shouldn't be placed away from your job.

Most councils have some way of loaning people in your situation money towards a first month's rent and deposit. Then you'd have to try and find a LL who would accept a tenant on HLA which can be more difficult.

Phone Shelter and get some advice.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 12th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    Wait until you have a s21 which may or may not happen.
    • redrose1414
    • By redrose1414 12th Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    redrose1414
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    Does your landlord want you to vacate or is he selling it with you as a sitting tenant?
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    He wants us to vacate in November so he can do the house up to sell.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
    • redrose1414
    • By redrose1414 12th Aug 18, 9:07 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    redrose1414
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:07 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:07 AM
    Have you had any contact with the Cavell Nurse's Trust? They may be able to help with a grant which could go towards a deposit for another private rental perhaps, or even kennelling costs for the animals for a few days.

https://www.cavellnursestrust.org/grants
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Thank you Red Squirrel, I will have a look.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
    • redrose1414
    • By redrose1414 12th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    redrose1414
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    I am sorry this is happening to you. Its very tough. It happened to me as well.

I am afraid the council have no responsibility for a dog or cat. They won't be housed in temporary accommodation unless you are placed in a house etc. I found a friend who would take my dog temporarily until I could take him back, which I was able to do as I have two sons with autism and was able to argue (and produce proof/medical evidence that being placed in single room accommodation would harm them) so I was placed in a ground floor maisonette and gained permission to have my dog there. This is unusual though.

Council's will gatekeep and make being placed in emergency accommodation sound as bad as possible.. they did it to me, but due to a lack of social housing it is now the norm for it to be as described. I was lucky my council were unusual. However, I was told all the bad stuff and it made the process incredibly stressful. Find out what your council's actual policy is with the homeless. If you have a job you can argue successfully that you shouldn't be placed away from your job.

Most councils have some way of loaning people in your situation money towards a first month's rent and deposit. Then you'd have to try and find a LL who would accept a tenant on HLA which can be more difficult.

Phone Shelter and get some advice.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Thank you, I will make an appointment to speak to housing options and see what they say. I have no one who can take a cat, a dog and 2 snakes unfortunately. There was recently a change in the system for a neighbouring council as a man committed suicide as a direct result of having to give up his 2 dogs when he became homeless so I will ask my council their policy on this.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
    • Blaise in Surrey
    • By Blaise in Surrey 12th Aug 18, 9:16 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Blaise in Surrey
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:16 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:16 AM
    It might be worth talking to the PDSA regarding your animals, to see if they have any advice. Is there a pet shop anywhere near you that sells reptiles? They might be prepared to take in the snakes in exchange for some work in the shop (I appreciate you work full-time already, but could you do some cleaning before a shift? I have loads of animals and would do absolutely anything to keep them). Then contact all your local animal rescue centres to see if they would find foster families for your cat and dog while you get settled.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 12th Aug 18, 9:16 AM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 6,184 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    He wants us to vacate in November so he can do the house up to sell.
    Originally posted by redrose1414
    Has he given you the correct notice?

I think you are going to need to do a fair bit of reading to enable you to understand your options and it may be worthwhile having a look at the debt advice on here, possibly including posting up a SOA so that people on here can advise on how you can make savings and ensure you don't stay in the same financial position that you are currently.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • redrose1414
    • By redrose1414 12th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    redrose1414
    Wait until you have a s21 which may or may not happen.
    Originally posted by m0bov
    Hmm, I donít think I will get one. My landlord is very lax. He has barely done any repairs to the house and we should have signed a new tenancy last November and we havenít.
    The thing is I donít want to ruin the relationship we have with the LL as a good reference from him might be the only thing that actually helps me get a new house.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
    • redrose1414
    • By redrose1414 12th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    redrose1414
    Has he given you the correct notice?

I think you are going to need to do a fair bit of reading to enable you to understand your options and it may be worthwhile having a look at the debt advice on here, possibly including posting up a SOA so that people on here can advise on how you can make savings and ensure you don't stay in the same financial position that you are currently.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    Yes I definitely need to read up on what my options and rights are! What is an SOA?
    The LL came round on Friday and said he and his business partner want to sell the house and he thought 3 months was a reasonable time for us to vacate. He said if I needed anything in writing to let him know.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
    • redrose1414
    • By redrose1414 12th Aug 18, 9:23 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    redrose1414
    It might be worth talking to the PDSA regarding your animals, to see if they have any advice. Is there a pet shop anywhere near you that sells reptiles? They might be prepared to take in the snakes in exchange for some work in the shop (I appreciate you work full-time already, but could you do some cleaning before a shift? I have loads of animals and would do absolutely anything to keep them). Then contact all your local animal rescue centres to see if they would find foster families for your cat and dog while you get settled.
    Originally posted by Blaise in Surrey
    Thank you, I will look into this. The dog might be an issue as he hates cats, dogs and young children. I would love to help out in a reptile shop with all the kind of animals Iíd love to own but canít afford financially or time wise.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 12th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 11,913 Posts
    • 13,770 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    From what you have said you appear to be on a periodic contract - month to month.

Personally I would be asking the LL to issue with a Section 21 so that you are able to take this to the council and you will be legally 'threatened with homelessness within the next 8 weeks.' (Don't panic because the LL would have to take you to court to evict you giving you extra time)

Recent legislation means that councils now have a legal duty to help you if you are threatened with homelessness within the next 8 weeks. At the moment there is nothing in writing to say you are. The council will likely put you to the back of the queue as regards help without a Section 21 notice.

There are different options for the council to help you and I think you are best to get the 'ball rolling' by getting some 'official status'.

Have a read of this

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/homelessness/applying-for-homeless-help/check-if-you-can-apply-for-homeless-help/

If your council is unhelpful then get your local CAB involved.
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 12-08-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 29,971 Posts
    • 77,031 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Yes I definitely need to read up on what my options and rights are!

The LL came round on Friday and said he and his business partner want to sell the house and he thought 3 months was a reasonable time for us to vacate. He said if I needed anything in writing to let him know.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice - a good place to start learning.

Your LL obviously doesn't understand his legal duties at all!
    • hb2
    • By hb2 12th Aug 18, 1:46 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    hb2
    AIUI If you move without having received proper notice, you will have made yourself homeless and the LA will not offer any help. Wanting to keep your current LL on side, for a decent reference, is all very well but you must make sure you protect yourself as much as possible.
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 42,724 Posts
    • 17,988 Thanks
    macman
    The sale of the property does not end your tenancy: it just means that you have a new LL. It's not your job to advise your clueless idle LL of the legal process required to end your tenancy. Until he issues an S21 you need to do nothing, and even then if you remain in the property after the due date passes, it could take him 2-4 months to evict you, at which point the LA must find you emergency accommodation.
    Basics: please confirm the status of your tenancy agreement. Is your deposit protected? Do you have a current gas safety certificate? Do you have an EPC? An S21 will be invalid unless the latter 2 have been provided.
    Based on what you have told us about your LL, I don't think you need to worry about being homeless in 3 months.
    Last edited by macman; 12-08-2018 at 3:14 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • redrose1414
    • By redrose1414 13th Aug 18, 10:05 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    redrose1414
    The sale of the property does not end your tenancy: it just means that you have a new LL. It's not your job to advise your clueless idle LL of the legal process required to end your tenancy. Until he issues an S21 you need to do nothing, and even then if you remain in the property after the due date passes, it could take him 2-4 months to evict you, at which point the LA must find you emergency accommodation.
    Basics: please confirm the status of your tenancy agreement. Is your deposit protected? Do you have a current gas safety certificate? Do you have an EPC? An S21 will be invalid unless the latter 2 have been provided.
    Based on what you have told us about your LL, I don't think you need to worry about being homeless in 3 months.
    Originally posted by macman
    Thank you macman, I feel a lot better about it now. I think I will look for places to live and see if I can find somewhere that accepts us but I wonít worry too much as you are right, I shouldnít have to tell the LL his job so Iíll just wait and see what happens. If a section 21 arrives then I can start the process of becoming homeless but Iím going to have until at least after Christmas I reckon if I sit tight and wait for a section 21 and then an eviction.
    My deposit is protected, Iím not sure about the gas safely cert, I think it is in date and the house had an EPC 8 years ago when a previous LL owned it but not one since then.
    RISEABOVEHATE
    NeverGiveUp
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 13th Aug 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    m0bov
    Hmm, I donít think I will get one. My landlord is very lax. He has barely done any repairs to the house and we should have signed a new tenancy last November and we havenít.
    The thing is I donít want to ruin the relationship we have with the LL as a good reference from him might be the only thing that actually helps me get a new house.
    He has to, its not an option. So, if you don't get a valid S21, then continue to live there. I would not fret over something that may never happen..just yet.

No council will help you as you are not facing eviction.
    • Mrs pbradley936
    • By Mrs pbradley936 13th Aug 18, 10:39 AM
    • 12,912 Posts
    • 19,820 Thanks
    Mrs pbradley936
    While it is perfectly true that you have to be issued with the correct paper work it will not take the landlord long to discover that. If you really have no hope of staying there then the sooner you get your head around that and look for alternatives the better. Being a "right fighter" is all well and good but you want an amicable move with a decent reference. The people telling you to be as awkward as possible because you are "right" are not going to be facing the consequences of being left homeless without a reference are they? I would be asking the landlord to issue a section 21 Notice for your benefit rather than his. Then you can take that to the Council as proof of your situation. If you don't have that you are not "facing homelessness".

I would then approach the Council and ask if they would be in a position to help you finance another private tenancy locally seeing as you are not likely to be a priority for them to house.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/rent_deposit,_bond_and_guarantee_schemes

The pets might be a problem but some landlords are OK with them if you put in a larger deposit. The truth is you need to get a roof for yourself and your family first and then you can think about the pets.
    Last edited by Mrs pbradley936; 13-08-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,726Posts Today

7,750Users online

Martin's Twitter