Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo101
    • By Jo101 11th Aug 18, 8:57 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Jo101
    Deed of variation
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:57 PM
    Deed of variation 11th Aug 18 at 8:57 PM
    Hi, recently finished tying up uncle's estate with probate.

As I've probably mentioned on here before there are just 2 beneficiaries, myself and my father, inheriting 50% each. Father doesn't want his inheritance and is happy for me to have it. My father has enough of his own money to pay for care, should that be necessary in the future.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much a solicitor would charge for a Deed of Variation? Is it a set fee, or does it depend on how complicated the will is?

Also, can any solicitor draw up this deed or does it have to be done by the original solicitor who did uncle's will?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Aug 18, 9:05 PM
    • 64,623 Posts
    • 379,343 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:05 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:05 PM
    If he's not trying to avoid anything .... then can't he just receive it and then give it to you?

Or is this an issue re potential inheritance tax if he should pass quicker than expected?

You can just write a letter - the Govt website says this: https://www.gov.uk/alter-a-will-after-a-death
    • Jo101
    • By Jo101 11th Aug 18, 9:09 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Jo101
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:09 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:09 PM
    He's mid 80s now so yes, it's the potential IHT when he does pass away.

I'll have a look at that link, thanks.
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 11th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 1,435 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    We used a STEP member solicitor of our own choice.

The DoV & a Deed of Appointment (the recipients are our grandsons, minors, & we are the appointed trustees) was done 15 months ago at a cost of 426 inc VAT.

In the grand scheme of things the cost was a drop in the ocean, & we do not DiY documents that may bite in the backside at a later date!

Edit: The solicitor would only charge us for the initial consultation time if after discussing our requirements we subsequently chose not to go ahead. After about an hour we agreed to proceed for this price 'all in' price. Your father won't need the Deed of Appointment obviously, so it should be cheaper & must be done within 2 years.
    Last edited by SevenOfNine; 13-08-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • Jo101
    • By Jo101 11th Aug 18, 9:44 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Jo101
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:44 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:44 PM
    SevenOfNine You're absolutely right about getting the document done correctly and not DIY'ing. I just had a quick look online at the link mentioned earlier and some of the questions had me stumped. I don't trust myself to do it properly.

I will be off to a solicitor on Monday. Thanks.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 11th Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    • 4,612 Posts
    • 3,818 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    Hi, recently finished tying up uncle's estate with probate.

As I've probably mentioned on here before there are just 2 beneficiaries, myself and my father, inheriting 50% each. Father doesn't want his inheritance and is happy for me to have it. My father has enough of his own money to pay for care, should that be necessary in the future.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much a solicitor would charge for a Deed of Variation? Is it a set fee, or does it depend on how complicated the will is?

Also, can any solicitor draw up this deed or does it have to be done by the original solicitor who did uncle's will?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by Jo101
    The best way is to get a solicitor to do it. A few hundred pounds will save endess future problems.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 12th Aug 18, 12:54 AM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:54 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 12:54 AM
    Your DOV will be very simple. Email a few local solicitors.
    You will probably get quote for 1-2 hrs work at a cost of 200-450 range
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,871Posts Today

7,336Users online

Martin's Twitter