Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 11th Aug 18, 8:11 PM
    • 2,075Posts
    • 1,315Thanks
    RHemmings
    0 WOW
    High Power LED bulbs
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:11 PM
    0 WOW
    High Power LED bulbs 11th Aug 18 at 8:11 PM
    What are the current options for higher power LED bulbs?

Some years ago I bought what I think is an 18w LED from ASDA, and it works well and is (no surprise here) usefully brighter than the standard LED bulbs we use elsewhere.

I don't think ASDA sell the same bulb any more. I've looked around and I can find similar bulbs [url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/AURAGLOW-Super-Bright-Bayonet-Light/dp/B018AXJYVE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1534014576&sr=8-6&keywords=20w+led+bulb] but note the reviews stating that they sometimes have a short lifespan.

Are there any quality high power LED bulbs?
Page 1
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 11th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    Toolstation and screwfix generally have some good bright LEDs bayonet and Eddison at reasonable prices.
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 11th Aug 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    RHemmings
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:50 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:50 PM
    Toolstation and screwfix generally have some good bright LEDs bayonet and Eddison at reasonable prices.
    Originally posted by Lorian
    I had a look through Screwfix's site earlier today and couldn't find anything over 14w. Though, it was reasonably priced at £5.

I'll have a look at Toolstation ... There's this which is 18W. https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/d220/LED+GLS+Lamps/sd3382/Integral+LED+GLS+Frosted+Lamp/p46197 Toolstation is convenient as there's one just down the road.

The only problem is that the 20W on Amazon would also look to be a good option. If not for the inconsistent reviews. I am wondering if the higher power bulbs often have short lifespans.

Any experiences with higher power bulbs?
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 12th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 5,759 Posts
    • 16,602 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    I find daylight bulbs much brighter , whats the max wattage the fitting recommends ? [14w is the same as 65w]
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones thereís a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Aug 18, 7:14 AM
    • 27,760 Posts
    • 11,254 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Aug 18, 7:14 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 7:14 AM
    A decent 18W LED should be putting out the equivalent of 200 watts??

Is this a floodlight?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,474Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin