I don't know what insurance to get!

Hi everyone,

I own a lot of RAF (specifically 1940 Battle of Britain) memorabilia. Which includes a completely populated (i.e. all the instruments are genunine 1940 Hurricane/Spitfire - some were interchangeable between the aircraft) instrument panel. This includes the P8 Compass found in the aircraft of the period.

I also have the Flying Boots, Gauntlets, Lifevest, Type C Helmet, Oxygen Mask/Radio, Irvin Flying Jacket, and Goggles.

Included in my display is a section of Ian Gleeds Hurricane, which shows Figaro the Cat punching a reverse Hakenkruez (Swastika).

I have been asked if I would show this at the upcoming Battle of Britain, RAF 100, Mess Dinner (13th Sep for Officers, and 15th Sep for the WO's & SNCO's).

There lies a dilemma in itself! Do I keep it in the loft out of harms way. Or do I show it! (IMO it needs to be seen) and the respective owners remembered.

I need to insure all this kit. BUT, if (for example) a piece of my collection went walkabout, or the DO NOT TOUCH warnings were ignored and a piece got damaged, or broken. I can't replace it!

All the money in the world is not going to get me another Oil, Temp or Fuel Gauge or Gunsight. There simply aren't any left to buy!

What to do? Who will insure it? How much would it cost?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you sure the stuff is unavailable? Just found 3 websites selling Spitfire instruments. One will even build you a fibreglass plane and fit it with all genuine parts. It wont fly but will look genuine.

Wasn't there a show on TV where they built a Spitfire from parts?

Whats it covered for on your home insurance?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Are you sure the stuff is unavailable? Just found 3 websites selling Spitfire instruments. One will even build you a fibreglass plane and fit it with all genuine parts. It wont fly but will look genuine.

Wasn't there a show on TV where they built a Spitfire from parts?

Whats it covered for on your home insurance?

Thank you for trying to help.

I'm sure. You are looking at later versions being passed off for 1940.

The Spitfire that Guy Martin helped to build is not a 1940's warbird. The cockpit will be full of modern H & S compliant hardware. Not the basic stuff the BoB pilots had to fly with.

The Fibreglass aircraft will not be fitted with genunie HAWKER HURRICANE 1940 parts, I can assure you. It might have a few Spitfire hand-me-downs, but not Hurricane.

Did you come across a genuine BoB Spitfire/Hurricane Barr & Stroud Gunsight in your travels? The one fitted with the Oval Glass (it went square in 1941). If you did, please provide the link - because as specified in my opening post. These are not available anymore, but plenty of fakes are. According to your post there should be plenty of genunine ones out there.

I think I will end up just looking after it myself on the night.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure