Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BenderUK
    • By BenderUK 11th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    BenderUK
    Ordered to old address by mistake, residents claim they haven't received anything
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    Ordered to old address by mistake, residents claim they haven't received anything 11th Aug 18 at 6:26 PM
    Hello everyone, I hope anyone could help me with what next steps I should take to reclaim the goods I ordered by mistake to my old address.
    1) Ordered something on ebuyer (on old address) via tracked delivery(although that was not provided on their website so couldn't keep track of it) (also on ebay other stuff :/)
    2) Once I saw the expected delivery is Friday I then found out that it went to old address
    3) Went to the address and politely apologised for my mistake and asked if they could let me know once it arrives and refuse delivery, residents claim they will refuse the delivery (that was friday) but as it turns out, ukmail tracking shows it has already been delivered on Wednesday, the guy at the address kept saying "ordering to not your address is illegal" like a parrot
    4) Contacted ebuyer, got provided with tracking details showing it has been delivered address that is 16 instead of 18 as my old address, contacted very nice old couple at 16 and they never received anything so I assume it was delivered to 18.
    5)Went to 18 again, residents still claiming nothing has been received at that address AND the signature is apparently of someone that doesn't live there.

What can I do in this case? I read that if I haven't received it that technically it still belongs to the seller and they should contact people at this address to return it.
    Last edited by BenderUK; 11-08-2018 at 6:29 PM.
Page 2
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 12th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 5,251 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Your issue is that you asked the seller to deliver to no18 and it appears, potentially they fullfilled this contract. This throws a massive question mark onto the validity of your case. If as you say the GPS shows as having been delivered to no18 and the paperwork says no16 it'll ultimately be down to a court Tom decide which is more valid evidence. However in your shoes I wouldn't fancy taking this to court.

You are therefore somewhat relying on the goodwill of the seller as the delivery company are unlikely to willingly refund, I think this is a big ask for the seller.

As for claiming from the new residents that might be a challenge too as they'll just deny having received it and you've no real concrete evidence they have.

Basically I think you might need to chalk this one up to experience.
    • BenderUK
    • By BenderUK 12th Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BenderUK
    You can't rely on people's honesty anymore can you...
    This is just so sad the world has come to this stage...
    I'll speak with the seller tomorrow, see what happens :/
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 12th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 3,010 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    You can't rely on people's honesty anymore can you...
    This is just so sad the world has come to this stage...
    I'll speak with the seller tomorrow, see what happens :/
    Originally posted by BenderUK
    The trouble is, the people at no.18 might be expressing exactly the same sentiment. How do they know you are completely honest and not someone who's involved in credit card fraud getting things delivered to their address with the otherwise plausible backstory that you are the previous resident?

Rather than casting aspersions on other people's honesty, you ought to be looking at your own mistake as the root cause of this problem. Blaming others and questioning their integrity for what was your own carelessness is unfair.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • BenderUK
    • By BenderUK 12th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BenderUK
    Don't get me wrong. First thing I was saying is that it is my mistake since I haven't updated my address and I was expressing my mistake at most points. On the other hand if they were honest they would have refused the delivery and not accept it no ? If they suspected it was a fraud they would have refused it in the first place instead of accepting. And since they are renting the house through the same agency as me then they could easily prove/disprove everything
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 12th Aug 18, 10:40 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 3,010 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Don't get me wrong. First thing I was saying is that it is my mistake since I haven't updated my address and I was expressing my mistake at most points. On the other hand if they were honest they would have refused the delivery and not accept it no ? If they suspected it was a fraud they would have refused it in the first place instead of accepting. And since they are renting the house through the same agency as me then they could easily prove/disprove everything
    Can you prove they accepted the delivery? I don't think you can claim they are dishonest when you are unsure as to exactly what happened.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • BenderUK
    • By BenderUK 13th Aug 18, 2:18 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BenderUK
    Well, the fact there was another delivery by mistake (cheap one so don't care) and they didn't let me know anything about it proves it...
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 13th Aug 18, 5:34 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Well, the fact there was another delivery by mistake (cheap one so don't care) and they didn't let me know anything about it proves it...
    No it doesn't
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Aug 18, 8:07 AM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 3,010 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    No, it doesn't. If that's the extent of your "proof", I wouldn't head to court just yet.

By your own criterion of what constitutes dishonesty, I can prove you are up to something because you've made the same delivery "mistake" twice. It's perfectly plausible that you sent the first, cheap item as cover/a foundation for your true, more expensive fraud.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin