Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • womble51
    • By womble51 11th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 1Thanks
    womble51
    Own insurance for a named driver
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    Own insurance for a named driver 11th Aug 18 at 5:59 PM
    My wife has been a named driver on my car insurance for around 30 years, she has had no accidents and only one minor speeding offence about 20 years ago. I now wish to insure a second car for her exclusive use in her name and wonder if anyone has knowledge of an insurance company that will look favorably on her record.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Aug 18, 6:11 PM
    • 36,837 Posts
    • 20,973 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:11 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:11 PM
    See if your own insurer offers any deals to named drivers on their policies taking out their own policy after being claim free for years

Also see if a local broker (not Swinton) can get her a better introductory discount with nil ncd than she gets offered online
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 11th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    I can't help with your specific question, but I would suggest you as about being named drivers on each others policies. I was surprised that when I added my partner as a named driver on my policy, my premium went down by 10 a year.

I would also suggest using Compare The Market to find the cheapest quote for your wife. I seem to remember that the site asks questions about no-claims bonus and whether this was earned in the drivers own name or as a named driver; if so, it will help you identify a suitable provider.
    Last edited by tacpot12; 11-08-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,111Posts Today

7,591Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin