Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Perfect-Circles
    • By Perfect-Circles 11th Aug 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Perfect-Circles
    Buyer wants money back
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:27 PM
    Buyer wants money back 11th Aug 18 at 5:27 PM
    Hello everyone.

I got a new phone a few weeks ago and decided to sell my old one on facebook marketplace last friday.

The phone was in mint cobdition, came with box, all accessories and a case. The buyer showed up last friday, spent around 30 minutes in my house looking at it, checking his sim worked, he then plugged it in to charge it, said he was happy with it and bought it.

Sunday I got a message on facebook saying the phone was great and thanked me.

Today I get a message saying he wants to bring it back as it is not charging.

Not really sure what to do as he spent so long checking it. Is he due his money back?
Page 1
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 11th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    buyers remorse, tell him he will not be getting anything back as he tried it out and was happy with it
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 11th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 16,120 Posts
    • 22,181 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    Hello everyone.

I got a new phone a few weeks ago and decided to sell my old one on facebook marketplace last friday.

The phone was in mint cobdition, came with box, all accessories and a case. The buyer showed up last friday, spent around 30 minutes in my house looking at it, checking his sim worked, he then plugged it in to charge it, said he was happy with it and bought it.

Not really sure what to do as he spent so long checking it. Is he due his money back?
    Originally posted by Perfect-Circles
    No.

He spent ages checking it including seeing it charge.

Just send a message saying that he tested the phone thoroughly before paying including checking that it charged so you will not be refunding as it was sold as seen.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 11th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    • 13,062 Posts
    • 10,404 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    If you sell something privately (ie not in course of the business/trade/profession with any regularity) then the only requirements are:

1) that you have a right to sell the goods and,
    2) that the goods match any description made about them

There are no implied terms as to fitness or quality.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • mutzi
    • By mutzi 11th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    mutzi
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    Buy stuff from a shop, pay more, get your consumer rights.

Buy stuff second hand from some guy on facebook, save some money, lose your consumer rights.

Cake and eat it.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 11th Aug 18, 8:57 PM
    • 5,553 Posts
    • 9,294 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:57 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:57 PM
    Hello everyone.

Originally posted by Perfect-Circles
    I'm assuming the phone charged correctly when you owned it?

Anyway agree with this others, he has no comeback. Just refuse and if he continues to bother you just tell him to take you to court. He'll lose.
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 42,793 Posts
    • 18,040 Thanks
    macman
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    The OP has no liability even if it didn't charge correctly in his possession, unless he described as being in 100% perfect working order.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 14th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 26,516 Posts
    • 36,109 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 14th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 14th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    I hope the OP has records of the phones serial number, IMEI etc just in case the buyer tries to pull a fast one.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

220Posts Today

1,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin