Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TUVOK
    • By TUVOK 11th Aug 18, 4:58 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    TUVOK
    Baillie Gifford American fund.
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:58 PM
    Baillie Gifford American fund. 11th Aug 18 at 4:58 PM
    I have a holding in this fund which is currently showing a profit of well over 30% for me.
    The fund price is still marching upwards!
    I'm facing the problem that many investors have faced, what to do now?
    To take the profit and leave the balance, increase the holding or totally sell all or what?
Page 1
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 11th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    Do you have a target allocation? If you do simply sell...or buy... to keep that allocation constant. Owning funds is good, but without a plan you don't know what to do with them. Nobody can answer your question without knowing you plans, desired asset allocation and how this fund fits into your overall portfolio and if you think about those questions you can probably come up with an answer yourself.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Aug 18, 5:39 PM
    • 93,978 Posts
    • 61,784 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:39 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:39 PM
    I'm facing the problem that many investors have faced, what to do now?
    You hold a single sector fund in the US. Single sector funds are meant to be held in a portfolio of other single sector funds. A fund for UK, another for Europe, Asia, Japan, Property, Gilts, Corp Bonds, HYB etc etc.

So, you chosen to hold BG American to fill your US allocation. What has changed in that respect?

To take the profit and leave the balance, increase the holding or totally sell all or what?
    How the weighting in the US compared to your chosen model? i.e. if your model says you should hold 18% in US and you hold 20% then you should rebalance back to 18%. If your model says 18% and you hold 18% then you should do nothing as you are within your target allocation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin