Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Aug 18, 4:42 PM
    • 3,739Posts
    • 5,832Thanks
    another casualty
    Tired leather furniture . Help needed
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:42 PM
    Tired leather furniture . Help needed 11th Aug 18 at 4:42 PM
    Howdy !

I have three seater ,and 2 seater leather settees. They are 21 years old this year . They are the type that do not have detachable cushions
    They cost around 1,500 back then on interest free from courts.
    Bruce Forsyth was advertising for them at the time

Anyway , a combinatiioin of me being all over the place health wise and financially I have noticed while moving into my flat last year ,how tired my furniture has become . The foam internally is flattening and the wood is beginning to feel more prominent and more uncomfortable than it ever was. The back of where the cushions are are beginning to split .
    I have had many friends and family crashing over on the three seater and actually enjoying a good nights sleep
    Even up to last October .

Now to the questions and potential options and explanations:

The furniture hasn't been cleaned for a few years ,due to massive upheavals and being broke and unsettled.

So, is it worth trying to get the furniture upholstered?

Should I consider a professional clean from a reputable company who send someone around etc?

Should I buy a thorough deep cleaning kit ,and do the job myself?
    If so , could somebody recommend me the best care kit to buy?

Should I dump it and buy something else instead ?

I don't mind paying a few hundred pounds if the furniture would feel really rejuvenated , but don't really want to pay out for new furniture if I can avoid doing so.
    The 2 seater isn't too bad tbh .
    Anyhow , I've gone on a bit .

Your thoughts ?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Aug 18, 5:31 PM
    • 5,620 Posts
    • 26,387 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:31 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:31 PM
    whereabouts are you? I've seen some lovely repair works posted on the facebook page of a business in east Anglia who do this sort of thing. Everything from reviving some really past-it looking leather furniture to sorting out saggy foam fillings. It should certainly be worth having a look around and asking for a quote.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 3,739 Posts
    • 5,832 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    Thanks slinky .
    I'm based in Poole . There is someone based in Bournemouth ,and it got me thinking .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

484Posts Today

4,979Users online

Martin's Twitter