Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 1socrates1
    • By 1socrates1 11th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    • 288Posts
    • 10Thanks
    1socrates1
    early termination charges
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    early termination charges 11th Aug 18 at 4:36 PM
    My contract with Sky for broadband and phone line ends on 4/9. I have switched to TalkTalk today with the expected start date of 29/8. Before the completion of the switch I spoke to the TalkTalk operator online and was told that the only thing I would be billed for by Sky was the remaining days which I owed them (from 29/8 until 4/9). I was happy with this and completed my order. Half an hour later I received an automated text and email from Sky telling me that because I had left the contract early I would have to pay early termination charges.

How much would I be paying Sky, besides the remaining days? I am on the 18.99 12 month contract. Thanks
Page 1
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 11th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    Take a look at:

http://storage.sky.com/prod/helpcentre/UK_ETC_06_July_2018.pdf

which is the pdf link at:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • 1socrates1
    • By 1socrates1 11th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    1socrates1
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    I have read that but it is hard to decipher because which category does the 18.99 package fall under, there seems to be two options the normal one and something called 'Pro'. Also because I left early does this mean that the structure of my contract devolves, such that I would be paying a phone line penalty plus the broadband penalty for the month?
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 11th Aug 18, 8:11 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:11 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:11 PM
    What is the description on your bill each month?
    • 1socrates1
    • By 1socrates1 11th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    1socrates1
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    I logged onto my account and it says Sky Broadband Unlimited, so I guess it is the second one under the broadband banner in the link you provided.

More crucially, Does my contract devolve and I pay a penalty on both the sky broadband and the line rental?

Thanks
    Last edited by 1socrates1; 11-08-2018 at 8:21 PM.
    • wisewoman
    • By wisewoman 11th Aug 18, 8:44 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    wisewoman
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:44 PM
    From BT to plusnet
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:44 PM
    Yesterday,in response to the e-mail from BT about increased charges, we followed their instructions about transferring without penalty, and contacted them to let them know we would be transferring away from them. We then set up a new account with plusnet, with an approx. saving of 20/month. Tonight, BT e-mailed to tell us we would be charged for terminating while we were still within minimum contract...the sum of 279.58. As pensioners, we don't have that kind of spare cash. Suggestions most welcome. Their phoneline opens at 8 am, which means a sleepless night fretting.
    Mortgage Free in Three cheerleader
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 11th Aug 18, 9:00 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:00 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:00 PM
    I logged onto my account and it says Sky Broadband Unlimited, so I guess it is the second one under the broadband banner in the link you provided.

More crucially, Does my contract devolve and I pay a penalty on both the sky broadband and the line rental?

Thanks
    Originally posted by 1socrates1

Yes, you'll pay a fee on each. It's based on number of days. I think it will be a total charge of of 3.50 in your case.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    • 36,843 Posts
    • 20,981 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    Yesterday,in response to the e-mail from BT about increased charges, we followed their instructions about transferring without penalty, and contacted them to let them know we would be transferring away from them. We then set up a new account with plusnet, with an approx. saving of 20/month. Tonight, BT e-mailed to tell us we would be charged for terminating while we were still within minimum contract...the sum of 279.58. As pensioners, we don't have that kind of spare cash. Suggestions most welcome. Their phoneline opens at 8 am, which means a sleepless night fretting.
    Originally posted by wisewoman
    Don't fret

In the unlikely event it turns out when you speak to them that you do owe them 280 if you cancel, then you will be able to cancel your move and stay with BT with no penalty charge to pay

(Have you complied with the ts + cs for notifying BT in time?)
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Aug 18, 8:06 PM
    • 8,839 Posts
    • 6,583 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:06 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:06 PM
    It's not unusual for broadband providers to 'accidentally' send these communications in these circumstances. They always back down as they're in the wrong.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,186Posts Today

7,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin