Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Agreig1984
    • By Agreig1984 11th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Agreig1984
    Corner wall in bathroom removal
    • 11th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    Corner wall in bathroom removal 11th Aug 18 at 3:28 PM
    Hi,

I'm looking for some advice as I know nothing about walls etc.

My wife wants a new bathroom and currently we have a bath boxed in. The wall in question is a corner brick wall that is coming from the outside wall coming into the room then goes to an internal wall. Basically it's a rectangle room and the top left square is a right angle wall (80cm×80cm roughly). Now this layout doesn't follow the same upstairs and there are only 4 square walls so my guess this isn't a supporting wall? On the outside there only seems to be the waste pipe from the bath coming out the wall and to the pipe.

Basically, if this square wall can be removed then we can fit a bigger bath in and maybe a walk in shower but the way it is restricts us to a smaller bath. I had one guy out that said he wouldn't remove the wall as it would be costly and not worth the hassle but my wife is adamant if the wall can come out then it will be coming out.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 11th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 8,272 Posts
    • 7,468 Thanks
    phill99
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    A diagram would be easier as I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Agreig1984
    • By Agreig1984 11th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Agreig1984
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    If I knew how to post a picture I would.

The easiest way I can explain the wall is take an a4 sheet of paper and using the corner of the paper there are 2 walls that make a square if that makes sense. So in the room there is a square wall pillar so to speak which boxes the bath in
    • jk0
    • By jk0 11th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 25,726 Thanks
    jk0
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    It could be a 'service duct' containing other pipes serving upstairs. Is there a loo/ bathroom up there?
    • phill99
    • By phill99 12th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 8,272 Posts
    • 7,468 Thanks
    phill99
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    If I knew how to post a picture I would.

The easiest way I can explain the wall is take an a4 sheet of paper and using the corner of the paper there are 2 walls that make a square if that makes sense. So in the room there is a square wall pillar so to speak which boxes the bath in
    Originally posted by Agreig1984
    Still none the wiser
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 26,130 Posts
    • 70,561 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    Remove the plaster and see what's there. Is it hollow when you knock it?

It doesn't sound structural but if it's made of brick then there's probably some reason for it. If it's studwork then I'd feel pretty comfortable removing it, but I don't live in your house and haven't seen it!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

388Posts Today

3,197Users online

Martin's Twitter