Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 59,543 Posts
    • 52,839 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    What has your solicitor advised?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 11th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    What sort of defect?

Why do you feel it will lead to a dispute?
  • archived user
    My solicitor suggests small claims court.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 59,543 Posts
    • 52,839 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    Seems the most appropriate course of action. In order to cover the cost of the necessary repair.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
  • archived user
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    The flooring - concrete base covered with laminated boards - in the dining room is bulging upward in an area that was not seen because it was covered with a rug. The vendors had used screws in their failed attempt to correct this. So I think it would be disputed if an approach was made to them.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 3,902 Posts
    • 5,094 Thanks
    waamo
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    My solicitor suggests small claims court.
    Originally posted by belvalpat
    Just out of curiosity why are you ignoring the advice of a qualified professional, who has indemnity insurance to cover the eventuality of misplaced advice, and instead relying on the opinions of a bunch of unqualified strangers on the internet?
    This space for hire.
  • archived user
    I agree but where do I go for advice and help with this. I am elderly and finding it difficult to understand how to deal with it. I have exhausted all avenues in my search for assistance.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 11th Aug 18, 1:01 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:01 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:01 PM
    Your solicitor...!
  • archived user
    I would go to the small claims court if I knew how. There is nobody out there to help the elderly. With respect Age UK, CAB etc. could not offer anything except out-of-date phone numbers. The solicitors I was given do not deal with small claims court cases.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 11th Aug 18, 1:05 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    maisie cat
    Probably expansion caused by insufficient expansion gap around the edge. Laminate is cheap as chips if you want to replace or use a rug to cover it. The question you refer to relates to disputes with neighbours like boundary disputes. given that you could have lifted a rug, I would doubt that it would constitute a mis sold property. I would recommend that you just move forward and hope that this is the worst thing you'll find, if it is you've got off easy.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 11th Aug 18, 1:05 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    need an answer
    https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

link to the gov website but if you google making a claim via small claims lots of advice comes up.

you need to decide if you genuinely have a case to claim anything for the repair or whether it is better all round that you just get the area repaired or replaced with something of your choice,

it could work out just as time consuming and costly fighting it as just replacing it.
    Last edited by need an answer; 11-08-2018 at 1:08 PM.
    in S 34 T 54 F 56
    out S 51 T 52 F 55
    2017 -32
    • Adereterial
    • By Adereterial 11th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    Adereterial
    Youíre internet aware enough to find this site and post here but you canít google how to go to the small claims court? Did you not ask your solicitor when they suggested it? Why do you feel you need specific advice because you are elderly?

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

There.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 3,902 Posts
    • 5,094 Thanks
    waamo
    You fill in the forms here https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

Before you do that send a letter giving them opportunity to pay up before you issue proceedings.

There is also a helpful guide here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/small-claims-court/?_ga=2.220109401.119001495.1527528036-695702243.1527528035
    This space for hire.
  • archived user
    Had I thought like you ".....Probably expansion caused by insufficient expansion gap around the edge. Laminate is cheap as chips if you want to replace or use a rug to cover it....."
    I would indeed move on but it is not as you suggest. I have taken the steps of having this problem investigated and it could cost lots to correct. It is a problem with the concrete flooring which is causing the laminate to "erupt" or bulge into bumps all over the area - it is not just lifting the boards up. Had it just meant replacing the laminate I would willingly do so.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Aug 18, 1:16 PM
    • 25,575 Posts
    • 69,403 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    As already said, the dispute question is about potential disputes with neighbours. It has nothing to do with having a dispute with the previous owners.

I'd be interested to know what the problem is, exactly, but unless you asked specifically and the vendors denied a problem with the flooring, then I don't see what you can sue them for. Houses are not perfect and there is no law that says they have to be sold as such.

You had a survey to look for defects, the surveyor told you they didn't check the floors. So no one checked the floors. If no one asked about the floors, then caveat emptor applies, surely.

Edit: It's not 'flooring', it's the floor; or rather the floor slab or screed and you've described the problem now.

A rug isn't going to hide a genuine bulge in the floor levels. The lack of the rug might make these screws visible, but a bulge in the floor of any significance is noticable when walking over it .
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 11-08-2018 at 1:22 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • archived user
    Thank you for your advice.

For me to decide "if you genuinely have a case to claim............." is why I am asking for assistance for someone to tell me if I have a case to claim.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 6,806 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I wonder what is causing the concrete to bulge; tree roots, subsidence, landslip? If any of those, OMG and your surveyor really should have found that out. Are there no other signs such as cracks in the walls, especially external ones?
    Last edited by Smodlet; 11-08-2018 at 1:23 PM.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    • 25,575 Posts
    • 69,403 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    I wonder what is causing the concrete to bulge; tree roots, subsidence, landslip? If any of those, OMG and your surveyor really should have found that out. Are there no other signs such as cracks in the walls, especially external ones?
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    There's no need scaremonger, please. It's perfectly feasible that the problem is only with the slab.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 11th Aug 18, 1:29 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    need an answer
    Thank you for your advice.

For me to decide "if you genuinely have a case to claim............." is why I am asking for assistance for someone to tell me if I have a case to claim.
    Originally posted by belvalpat
    sorry I was actually trying to be helpful when I posted a link to the website.

It is up to you to decide simply because you have far more evidence than a random bunch on the internet can actually see.

But if you would like to post some photos and perhaps a more detailed explanation of the problem then you never know someone may be able to give you the advice you are now asking for.

Originally I believed your question centered around how to make a claim rather than you actually wanting a decision on whether to make a claim.
    in S 34 T 54 F 56
    out S 51 T 52 F 55
    2017 -32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

4,416Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin