Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • manyeelui
    • By manyeelui 11th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    manyeelui
    Previously not aware of benefits
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    Previously not aware of benefits 11th Aug 18 at 11:55 AM
    I was not aware I was eligible for benefits, turns out I could have claimed for the last few years but I am not longer eligible. Has anyone successfully backdated their claim?

Online it says just one month. When I called they told me its spread through word of mouth but surely there are lots of other people like myself that had never heard of all of this before?
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    _shel
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    I was not aware I was eligible for benefits, turns out I could have claimed for the last few years but I am not longer eligible. Has anyone successfully backdated their claim?

Online it says just one month. When I called they told me its spread through word of mouth but surely there are lots of other people like myself that had never heard of all of this before?
    Originally posted by manyeelui
    You can't make a retrospective claim for benefits. If you were making a claim now you can backdate for short periods, 1 to 3 months depending on the benefit but any previous entitlement is gone.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 11th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    tboo
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    Guidence states

Backdating has to prove good cause

Page 12

Ignorance of the benefit system is not good cause. In this the LA must consider whether it is reasonable to have expected the claimant to be aware that benefits existed at all, and make contact with one of the various agencies who could sign-post them to Housing Benefit.

But to backdate you have to have a claim to process not one from before
    Started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    Youre only here for a short visit. Dont hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way. Walter Hagen
    Mortgage free 2/07/18. 9 years early

• calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    ....surely there are lots of other people like myself that had never heard of all of this before?
    Originally posted by manyeelui
    Sadly all too true.
    • Afraid of Kittens
    • By Afraid of Kittens 11th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Afraid of Kittens
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    Every cloud has a silver lining though. You now know if your financial circumstances change you could claim benefits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,486Posts Today

9,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin