Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • georgiac
    • By georgiac 11th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 1,116Posts
    • 503Thanks
    georgiac
    wifi in an extension
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    wifi in an extension 11th Aug 18 at 11:37 AM
    I'm not sure if what I'm after is even possible!

I've got an long extension on my bungalow and the wifi doesn't reach the new part of the house.

I have tried wifi extenders and ubiquti boxes but they don't work as well as I'd hoped.

Is it possible to run a cable from my router at one ond of the house, outside the house to another router in the extension and use this as an extender.

If so how please?!
Page 1
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 34,096 Posts
    • 28,982 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    Running cable is no probem at all. You could also look at a homeplug set up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-W311AV-Wireless-N-HomePlug-Starter/dp/B00BET7RUW/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1533984118&sr=1-1&keywords=homeplug+wifi
    Last edited by custardy; 11-08-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    • georgiac
    • By georgiac 11th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    georgiac
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    Running cable is no probem at all. You could also look at a homeplug set up.
    Originally posted by custardy

Hi, thanks for the reply - we've tried homeplugs but have two seperate rings so they didn't work well.

What would I put on the other end of the cable to act as a wifi router or extender please?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 34,096 Posts
    • 28,982 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    Hi, thanks for the reply - we've tried homeplugs but have two seperate rings so they didn't work well.

What would I put on the other end of the cable to act as a wifi router or extender please?
    Originally posted by georgiac
    Theres loads of options.
    if you have an old router you may simply be able to set that up.
    Eg

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/router-repeater-3633135/

Or buy a wireless access point in budget/preference
    Last edited by custardy; 11-08-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 33,680 Posts
    • 39,804 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    The bt branded wifi discs extenders are meant to work well without lag
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 11th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 3,249 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    Can you run an Ethernet cable across the loft, from your router? It is possible to use up to 100metres without loss of signal. I have a Cat 6 cable from 2 rooms and a hall away from this desktop and an Ethernet hub to 2 other devices when needed. Admittedly less than the distance you may have at 25 metres, but works fine. I also have a Cat 5e across the loft in the lounge, from the router to a Humax Freesat box.

Ethernet is always better than WiFi anyway.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • georgiac
    • By georgiac 12th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    georgiac
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    Can you run an Ethernet cable across the loft, from your router? It is possible to use up to 100metres without loss of signal. I have a Cat 6 cable from 2 rooms and a hall away from this desktop and an Ethernet hub to 2 other devices when needed. Admittedly less than the distance you may have at 25 metres, but works fine. I also have a Cat 5e across the loft in the lounge, from the router to a Humax Freesat box.

Ethernet is always better than WiFi anyway.
    Originally posted by Robisere

Hi, unfortunately it isn't possible to run it through the loft as I hadn't considered the need during the build and the roof space doesn't join.

This means it will have to go outside.

I presume an ethernet hub just means you can plug more wired objects (in)directly into the router?

That would work for some items but mot for others like mobiles/ tablets/ firesticks etc.

I wonder if it would be then possible to add one of the BT discs mentioned above to act as a wifi sender to the area? When we tried them from the router even with three discs it wouldn't reach the end of the extension but if we run a cable first it would only have 20metres to reach so hopefully will be in range?

Thanks
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Aug 18, 8:31 AM
    • 3,659 Posts
    • 2,718 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:31 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:31 AM
    Is it possible to run a cable from my router at one ond of the house, outside the house to another router in the extension and use this as an extender.
    If the Ubiquiti access point has a network port you could run a cable to that. Ideally you should use network cable designed for outdoor use but if you run it in some trunking it'll be OK.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 14,908 Posts
    • 20,288 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    I have two routers linked to my main BT hub in order to spread Wi-fi around the house. I just used an ordinary Wi-fi router configured as an access point. They also act as switches using the spare Ethernet ports.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 34,096 Posts
    • 28,982 Thanks
    custardy
    Hi, unfortunately it isn't possible to run it through the loft as I hadn't considered the need during the build and the roof space doesn't join.

This means it will have to go outside.

I presume an ethernet hub just means you can plug more wired objects (in)directly into the router?

That would work for some items but mot for others like mobiles/ tablets/ firesticks etc.

I wonder if it would be then possible to add one of the BT discs mentioned above to act as a wifi sender to the area? When we tried them from the router even with three discs it wouldn't reach the end of the extension but if we run a cable first it would only have 20metres to reach so hopefully will be in range?

Thanks
    Once you have an ethernet connection in the extension.
    You have the option to add wired connections,wifi as you wish.

You say the loft isnt an option. Is drilling through an option?
    Going outdoors is fine but keeping it indoors would probably be better longterm.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,146Posts Today

8,075Users online

Martin's Twitter