Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 11th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,477Posts
    • 748Thanks
    cubegame
    Gas leak after mains replacement / meter move.
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    Gas leak after mains replacement / meter move. 11th Aug 18 at 8:53 AM
    Hi. I wonder if anyone can offer advice. Last week our holiday home had the mains replacement work done by SGN during which the meter was moved.

Unfortunately, after connecting back up the fitter found a leak. He promptly capped the supply, told us we needed to get the leak repaired, passed us a safety notice to acknowledge and left.

After a mad busy week in which I've been struggling to find someone to fix it (we need someone at the weekend) it occurred that I should have challenged him more and wonder if I should be hassling SGN as their fitter either caused the leak in disturbing the pipework or didn't follow procedure.

After a bit of reading I understand he should have done and recorded a drop test before moving the meter which would have indicated a leak. Is this true?

Second, I understand that on finding a leak he should have individually isolated each appliance in order to determine where the source maybe. Is this correct?

We're in the fortunate situation where it's not essential for us to need the gas at the moment but it seems a very odd procedure they follow. Am old and vulnerable person would be left to flounder!
Page 1
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 11th Aug 18, 9:31 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:31 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:31 AM
    Hi. I wonder if anyone can offer advice. Last week our holiday home had the mains replacement work done by SGN during which the meter was moved.

Unfortunately, after connecting back up the fitter found a leak. He promptly capped the supply, told us we needed to get the leak repaired, passed us a safety notice to acknowledge and left.

After a mad busy week in which I've been struggling to find someone to fix it (we need someone at the weekend)....
    Originally posted by cubegame
    There are 24/7/365 gas engineers out there - look in yellow pages.

But their charges may be very high for an emergency/weekend call out.

They will advise you further if there has been any issue in what has been done so far. Your understanding appears somewhat limited in this matter.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 11th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    cubegame
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:39 AM
    Hey, all I know is that there wasn't a gas leak before and there is one afterwards.

Coincidence? Nope.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 11th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    Hey, all I know is that there wasn't a gas leak before and there is one afterwards.
    Difficulty is, I'd suggest that you don't know whether or not you had a leak before, and you don't know where the leak is. Depending on where the pipework runs, it's possible you could have had a small leak which went undetected until now.

Either way, things are how they are, I'd suggest trawling the yellow pages and the trusted/which trader pages to find a gas fitter to come and locate and repair the leak.

I don't think you get much luck expecting the meter fitter to start testing and working on the gas pipework and appliances inside your house - that's the homeowner's responsibility.
    Last edited by Jonesya; 11-08-2018 at 9:51 AM.
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 11th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:51 AM

Coincidence? Nope.
    As i said, your knowledge appears somewhat limited in this matter. Nonetheless you will need an expert witness to support any allegations you wish to put in any court claim.
    • kaya
    • By kaya 11th Aug 18, 10:48 AM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    kaya
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:48 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:48 AM

Coincidence? Nope.
    And how do you know that? unless you are a competent gas engineer that performed a drop test immediately before the engineer removed the meter i'm afraid your just guessing, you could have had a small leak there since the last test was performed and never known about it, being as they are qualified and i'm assuming from your posts you're not you don't have a legal leg to stand on i'm afraid
    Your only salvation is if you get a fitter in to repair the leak and he doesn't find one and writes a report to say so
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 11th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 2,449 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:33 AM

Coincidence? Nope.
    You are not going to smell a small gas leak venting out somewhere not enclosed. We had one in the kitchen and without a drop test we never noticed it at all. Only when it vents within a closed cupboard or under stairs which does nt get opened too much will you notice that rotten cabbage type smell.
    People of advanced age will lose part of the sense of smell which could locate the smell easily.
    Suppliers mention that to meter readers of "poor smell " on their info on their PDA s on the details of customers if they are very elderly. That is the reason
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,760Posts Today

6,316Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin